Why was the press conference cancelled?

Sean Mota said:

Is Scott able to walk over to the v* booth and ask some questions?
And Scott, have you seen the 580 working at their booth?

Sean Mota said:

Can they set it up for a different time, or is every time frame pretty well booked?

And that's what bothers me. I could care less that UCentric isn't unique to Voom, and I never expected them to be. I just want to know what the heck is going on.

MarcelV said:
Is Scott able to walk over to the v* booth and ask some questions?
And Scott, have you seen the 580 working at their booth?

I have not been able to speak to Scott. He is not even online right now as he is trying to cover the entire CES 2005 by himself for us. Remember that he has been doing interviews, attending conferences, going to the different companies sites. This takes time and dedication. Shooting video and photo. So I am sure tonight we will here from Scott and we will have lots and lots of information one way or the other.

bruce said:
Can they set it up for a different time, or is every time frame pretty well booked?

I wish I could tell you more but I haven't spoken to Scott. Let's wait for his reports before making assumptions.

LOL

Direct just picked up Ucentric and will have it out before Voom.

Ucentric hooks up DirecTV media service

Karen Brown,

Ucentric Systems made a major connection at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week, announcing a licensing deal with DirecTV Inc.to supply its Home Media Center software platform on the satellite provider's digital video recorder service offering.

Under the licensing deal, DirecTV will offer a new DirecTV Home Media Center service consisting of a main DVR box and smaller client boxes on additional TVs in the subscriber's home. Using that system, subscribers can then tap DVR service on all of the TV sets in HD and SD digital formats, as well as listen to music and view digital photos. The boxes will also use conditional access and applications middleware supplied by NDS Corp.

The system is being demo'd this week at the Consumer Electronics Show. DirecTV plans to start offering the Home Media Center service by the end of the year.

Snagging a contract with the leading U.S. satellite provider is a major step for Maynard, Mass.-based Ucentric and its media center platform, according to CEO Michael Collette.

"For us, really, they are the biggest account in the world in the sense that their commitment to DVR is as strong as anyone's, and they are the largest visual network in the world," he said. "One of the interesting things about what they are doing is they are really taking this notion of a connected home product beyond simply the pay-TV, whole-home DVR component, and they are going straight to the media center configuration - which strategically is very, very important, I think."

Ucentric has already completed much of the integration of its software with the DirecTV boxes, "so a substantial portion of the delivery is already done," Collette noted.

While the value of the licensing deal is not being released, "it's very substantial," he said. "It's not a trivial, corner commitment - it's a major commitment.

The Ucentric deal is not exclusive to DTV anymore than MicroSoft has an exclusive deal to sell it's operating systems for use on Dell computers. I'm sure a lot of the work Ucentric is doing for dave could also be used on the Voom boxes.

Speculation, speculation. Let's wait for the CES to end and for Sean and others to report back what they REALLY found out.

BTW, I'm expecting a bowel movement by the end of the month...but that's speculation too! hehehe

The idea that D* would be buying Voom is a longshot, considering that Scott has announced that he's seen Voom's DVR.

Voom had a working DVR at CES and have announced a firm release date of March (when new bird goes online)...

This is 100% confirmed from voom rep at their booth today. (and yes i am here at CES)

I put photos up in the VOOM forum from the VOOM Booth including photos from the WORKING VOOM DVR.

It was ucentric who canceled the press conference today NOT VOOM.

Neutron said:
The idea that D* would be buying Voom is a longshot, considering that Scott has announced that he's seen Voom's DVR.

But, the Voom DVR is still a one only, one of a kind unit not in production yet. Like a concept car at the auto show. Not too far along in development to be shelved.

Indy said:
But, the Voom DVR is still a one only, one of a kind unit not in production yet. Like a concept car at the auto show. Not too far along in development to be shelved.
If the hardware is 100%, then I'm sure Motorola can crank out 10-20k of these units almost overnight at one of their factories in China. Hopefully the software developers and beta testers will debug this unit and get it ready to hit the streets in March. I expect to see a big DVR promotion in March...as soon as the current promotion offer expires.

Sean Mota said:
Then let the force be with you....but we only undertand press releases and facts as legit information... Not your own opinion...

I don't know about that.

I saw a sticky about the PVR coming out before Xmas by a poster with only a few posts. That was put up as disinformation. It seems if the text has a pro Voom spin on the ball its OK. But if its not, then its trashes or deleted.

Xbox does the samething. Almost never say anything officially. What they do is OK developers to leak stuff and give websites some trickled rumors. This creates a positive buzz that the company isn't liable for but created all of it in the first place.

Later when the 'facts' don't materialize the koolaid drinkers come out and say 'They company never promised x, y, z' All though behind the scenes they created all the rumors and hype in the first place.

hmmmm

queefer said:
I don't know about that.

I saw a sticky about the PVR coming out before Xmas by a poster with only a few posts. That was put up as disinformation. It seems if the text has a pro Voom spin on the ball its OK. But if its not, then its trashes or deleted.

Xbox does the samething. Almost never say anything officially. What they do is OK developers to leak stuff and give websites some trickled rumors. This creates a positive buzz that the company isn't liable for but created all of it in the first place.

Later when the 'facts' don't materialize the koolaid drinkers come out and say 'They company never promised x, y, z' All though behind the scenes they created all the rumors and hype in the first place.

hmmmm

Ok queefer or should we call you "DrWho", "red ufo", "voom fanboy" :) One of these guys is already banned. If you don't stop posting OT posts (all over th forums) you may end up in the same bandwagon as "red ufo". I have no time to continue with the "trolling" aspect of the conversation. Either you get with the program or go elsewhere. Simple...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)