Why 'Willow Cricket' is expensive on Dish Network ?

vdsz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
CA
I don't understand why 'Willow Cricket' costs 5$ more on Dish Network in comparison with DirecTV ? The same channel is priced at $14.99 on DirecTV where as it costs $19.99 on Dish Network.

hmm.... I guess there is not enough competition :).... Dish Network should consider offering this channel for US$9.99

Apart from 'capitalism', any different answer from the support team ? This Channel is available for US$14.99 on every other platform including Roku, DirecTV, Internet. Is there a valid reason for charging the Dish Network customers extra for this channel ? Why this "special" treatment to Dish Network customers ?

The programming we provide is owned by other companies, and our prices are based on what we must pay those companies. Though costs can change when contracts are renegotiated, we work hard to keep them as low as possible. We continue to offer the lowest everyday price in the pay-TV industry, saving our customers money every month as compared to our competitors!

The programming we provide is owned by other companies, and our prices are based on what we must pay those companies. Though costs can change when contracts are renegotiated, we work hard to keep them as low as possible. We continue to offer the lowest everyday price in the pay-TV industry, saving our customers money every month as compared to our competitors!
Your latter statement isn't true at all. How would I save money if this channel is $5 per month less on DirecTV or other platforms such as Roku and Willow's own website itself? That's a total loss of $60 p/a right there!

Also, there's valid reasons to doubt your claim that the price you're demanding for Willow Cricket is "based" on "what you must pay" WillowTV. Willow's price for consumers and other providers, far, far smaller companies than Dish Network, are $15 per month, which is the price they ask everywhere in every platform. You intentionally increased the price to $20 a month just to get an unfair profit over the customers you claim to save "money for". That is a thoroughly misleading and unfair business practice (if it were me, I would definitely complain to the Better Business Bureau/FCC).

Your latter statement isn't true at all. How would I save money if this channel is $5 per month less on DirecTV or other platforms such as Roku and Willow's own website itself? That's a total loss of $60 p/a right there!

Also, there's valid reasons to doubt your claim that the price you're demanding for Willow Cricket is "based" on "what you must pay" WillowTV. Willow's price for consumers and other providers, far, far smaller companies than Dish Network, are $15 per month, which is the price they ask everywhere in every platform. You intentionally increased the price to $20 a month just to get an unfair profit over the customers you claim to save "money for". That is a thoroughly misleading and unfair business practice (if it were me, I would definitely complain to the Better Business Bureau/FCC).

I totally agree with you giravanz. On every other platform where Willow TV is available the price 14.99$ per month... so it is totally unfair to Dish Customers...
Dish TV should reduce the price to 14.99$ or lower immediately... I think this demand is only fair...

Do you complain to the better business bureau when Milk costs $1 more at grocery store 'A' than it does at store 'B'?

Reactions: ChadT41
Don't like the price? Don't buy it!!!! Like the price better somewhere else? Buy it there!!!!
The big question is, what is the TRUE cost of this channel on other carriers? Is there a requirement for a more expensive package to be able to order it? I don't know, I'm just asking.

u can always switch to another provider!! That's what capitalism is all about!!

Bingo we have a winner.

C'mon guys, those are crap answers. Who is going to switch to Direct to get a one-off World Cup for $5 less per event. Dish knows no one will probably do that and they are charging $5 more than anyone else, including the website, because they know they have a captive audience, and they are greedy bastards. They should be "competitive", as they claim, shouldn't they?

I have a grocery store in the area that claims to have the best prices "on just about everything." and they do! But their price on milk is consistently 50 cents to a dollar more per gallon than another store down the street. Cheese is also more expensive by about 10%. I have a choice. I can spend my time bitching and moaning to the manager about how the store says they have the cheapest and they don't on one particular item, or I can take my time and effort to go to the other store for these items. I am sure the same thing happens at your local grocery store.

The "crap" answer is the real, honest-to-goodness answer. Like the price? Buy it. Don't like the price? don't buy it!

I have a grocery store in the area that claims to have the best prices "on just about everything." and they do! But their price on milk is consistently 50 cents to a dollar more per gallon than another store down the street. Cheese is also more expensive by about 10%. I have a choice. I can spend my time bitching and moaning to the manager about how the store says they have the cheapest and they don't on one particular item, or I can take my time and effort to go to the other store for these items. I am sure the same thing happens at your local grocery store.

The "crap" answer is the real, honest-to-goodness answer. Like the price? Buy it. Don't like the price? don't buy it!

Are you in contract with that grocery store? Will the other grocery store make you sign a contract to buy their milk?

Are you in contract with that grocery store? Will the other grocery store make you sign a contract to buy their milk?
And one had a gun at one's head before signing the contract with Dish, right?

You are under contract, you can pay the breakup fee and leave. Fee is too much? Don't subscribe to the channel! Still wants the channel and it's in middle of contract? Pay the extra $5, the extra 5 for 1 year equals 60 bucks.

Some of the replies have been ridiculous….

The truth of the matter is that Dish Network advertises saying " We continue to offer the lowest everyday price in the pay-TV industry, saving our customers money every month as compared to our competitors!" and that is a complete lie.

I don't care about grocery store and milk….But I do care about misleading information by Dish Network… If Dish Network comes openly and says that "The quality of Willow TV on our Network is better than DirecTV and that's why we charge 5$ extra"… probably that is something, which can be agreed upon.

In fact I think that is better than saying "The programming we provide is owned by other companies, and our prices are based on what we must pay those companies. Though costs can change when contracts are renegotiated, we work hard to keep them as low as possible. We continue to offer the lowest everyday price in the pay-TV industry, saving our customers money every month as compared to our competitors!"

The truth of the matter is that u have options..u can switch providers..watch it online (via ROKU or Other online streaming devices) or demand that the Government regulate satellite prices and ruin free enterprise for the rest of us

For something small but annoying like this I think a great option is to make it clear that the company isn't slipping anything past you, that you don't appreciate it and that a $5 cash grab is building ill will with you as a customer.

And given that Dish Network has many, many subscribers I think it's a great idea to post this on a forum and bring it to the attention of others who would find it equally irksome. Making it not worth the $5 for Dish to annoy their customers. If they want to claim to be "saving our customers money every month as compared to our competitors!" then pointing out when that's untrue is fair.

I do disagree with the BBB comment. It's not a matter of Dish not being allowed to do this, but showing them why they shouldn't. And considering that DirecTV owns NFL fans, it might not be a bad idea to make peace with even the smallest niche.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts