Why won't D* let me have local HD networks if they are already avalible to others?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

uli2000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
My current contract with Dish Network has just ended, and I've been looking at options to go HD. I'm interested in the new D* HD channels comming out. But I think even more important to me is to get my locals in HD, as they arn't avalible ota here. But I guess I have a strange situation. I live in the Salt Lake City market, but my home is in Eastern Nevada. I can get my locals in HD (with the exception of ABC) from E*, but D* says they are unavalible without any explination. Any idea why? They have the SLC locals in SD avalible.

BTW, my zip is 89301 if that helps any.

They don't carry the HD locals in your market yet. They are in the process of launching new SAT's to allow them the capacity to carry more HD markets. Currently D* only carries 61 markets in HD.

But they do carry them in the SLC market, of which I am a part of!

I think the sticking point here is the HD spot beam is tighter than the SD beam. You might be getting the SD feed on the fringe of the SLC spot. The HD spot might be 20 miles or more smaller in diameter relative to your locale. Just a hunch...

He's in one of the rare DMAs that cross state lines which is why I dont think they can give him SLC locals... isn't there some new legislation that is going to help people like him?

He's in one of the rare DMAs that cross state lines which is why I dont think they can give him SLC locals... isn't there some new legislation that is going to help people like him?

Yeah, it was targeted to help everyone, but in reality would only apply to something like 10 markets, mostly in the midwest where cities are a little more spread out from each other and therefore there are bigger gaps in between and/or cities on or near the border.

Here is what the Directv website shows when you enter your zip code

"Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Salt Lake City UT - No HD Locals 89301 We have provided a complete list of local stations and channel numbers below. "

It does not look like Directv carries the SLC HD locals only the SD ones for your area.

Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Salt Lake City UT - No HD Locals 89301 We have provided a complete list of local stations and channel numbers below. [\QUOTE]

It does not look like Directv carries the SLC HD locals only the SD ones.

But what happens when you enter the zip code for SLC?

From D* site looking up SLC zip code:
Local Channels Availability

Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Salt Lake City UT 84107 We have provided a complete list of local stations and channel numbers below.
High-definition (HD) local channels from DIRECTV are also available in your area. To receive them you will need an HD system

Channels 2, 4, 5, & 13 available in HD

"Moving" would be the only option. He is in the same boat as me for one of my RSN. I can get STO SD but I am to far away to get it in HD. They don't have it on my spotbeam right now. Hopefully it will go CONUS sometime next year.

Yeah, it was targeted to help everyone, but in reality would only apply to something like 10 markets, mostly in the midwest where cities are a little more spread out from each other and therefore there are bigger gaps in between and/or cities on or near the border.

LOL! Gaps! Let me tell you about gaps. Other than the 5 little towns in my county larger than most New England States in size (but with a population less than some blocks in Boston!), I've got serious traveling to do if I want to go anywhere. If I want to go to Walmart, it's 190 miles one way, and going to costco or Best Buy usually involves getting a hotel room!

It must be the spotbeam is the issue, as HD locals are avalible with a SLC address. Unfortunatly, I think 'moving' to SLC is out of the question as I dont know anyone there. Oh well, guess Ill stick with E* since they have the locals in HD.

LOL! Gaps! Let me tell you about gaps. Other than the 5 little towns in my county larger than most New England States in size (but with a population less than some blocks in Boston!), I've got serious traveling to do if I want to go anywhere. If I want to go to Walmart, it's 190 miles one way, and going to costco or Best Buy usually involves getting a hotel room!

It must be the spotbeam is the issue, as HD locals are avalible with a SLC address. Unfortunatly, I think 'moving' to SLC is out of the question as I dont know anyone there. Oh well, guess Ill stick with E* since they have the locals in HD.

Ah, the great outdoors...clean living, fresh air...I know it must get cold and lonely out there for cowboys like you...

But the service address doesn't necessarily have to be a friend or relative's physical address. If you are good enough, you can make a highway overpass your service address.

Just be careful that when/if you need a technician visit/repair, you must change your service address back to the physical address, or else the tech is going to roll up on your overpass and be left scratching his head. :)

I live just across the border from Jacksonville in Georgia. Jacksonville is my local market. I cannot receive Georgia PBS which has political issues that concern me. Obviously I cannot vote in Fla. There are no waivers available for this situation.

"Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Salt Lake City UT - No HD Locals 89301 We have provided a complete list of local stations and channel numbers below. "

It does not look like Directv carries the SLC HD locals only the SD ones for your area.

When you are close to the edge of the spotbeam, DirecTV is very conservative. You may find that it would work much of the time, but fail when the satellite is on the fringes of it's orbit, and/or it is raining.

To investigate further, find a local dealer with a DirecTV HD system, look up the satellite and transponder of the SLC HD signal, and look at the signal strength on that satellite and transponder on the receiver. Check it several times a day and several days of the week.

I live just across the border from Jacksonville in Georgia. Jacksonville is my local market. I cannot receive Georgia PBS which has political issues that concern me. Obviously I cannot vote in Fla. There are no waivers available for this situation.

Any chance that you could receive WXGA in Waycross with an antenna? Their analog is on channel 8, their DTV assignment is channel 9. (AntennaWeb reports that WXGA-DT is not yet on the air.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts