Why won't DISH install free rooms for existing customers?

Larsin

Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
I have had DISH for over 3 years and have been happy with it. I just got married and the wife wants DISH in 2 other rooms(and I wouldn't mind having HD and/or DVR either).

New customers can get DISH in 4 rooms, plus DVR(and applicable fees)with free installation, but why can't I? Someone mentioned canceling the service, then having my wife call and register as a NEW customer even though service would be at the SAME address. I don't really want to switch to DirectTV either, but I don't understand why good customers don't have more bargaining power.

I don't want to do anything that would be considered "underhanded", and I don't want to necessarily switch to DirectTV on a principle issue...I just think if I want to pay for HD and/or DVR, they could hook up service in 2 more rooms for free.

Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks in advance.

It's just one the problems satellite companies being national really have to overcome. I don't like it and most don't like it either but that's just how it is. It really does stink that they lease receivers to you but you can never switch those receivers without paying. I wish they were more level with cable on that regard

In my opinion this is why people keep switching back and forth between satellite providers so they can get new equipment installed. I agreee with BFG, this is something satellite companies need to overcome.

Its a problem but not easily solved, existing customers tend to expect that they should get the same exact deals that new customers get, if all existing customers got the same deal then where would the company be? How much free stuff can be given away by a provider that makes most of its money off of programming residuals wich isnt that much anymore. I agrea that existing customers should get better options for upgrades but I also think that all this free stuff for new customers needs to stop.

They're not giving stuff away for free, they are leasing equipment to them that remains the property of dish.

I think existing customers should be able to rent equipment and exchange equipment that they're already renting.

I can appreciate the fact that any business entity wants to bring in new business, but there seems to be a lack of focus on retaining business. I'm sure that my perspective is skewed since I am not doing a DISH Happy Dance at the moment...I guess I'd be happy with "Middle" ground instead of New get all and Existing get nothing lol.

So is it legal and moral to cancel and have my wife call? LOL!

"I think existing customers should be able to rent equipment and exchange equipment that they're already renting."

Exactly. The equipment still belongs to E*, it's not like they are giving them away to the customer. Existing customers should have more equipment options to lease.

"So is it legal and moral to cancel and have my wife call?"

And this is what a lot of customers are doing to get the equipment they want. People's need keep changing, new TVs, expansions in the house, new members in the family, etc. We shouldn't have to be stuck with the same equipment for always.

And yes I know you can purchase the equipment you want and this is what I've done in my situation but I don't believe that should be the way for E* to do business.

I'll have to find out what the profit per customer is based on programming, equipment, installation ect ect. Theres no profit in the first year if there are any service calls, and the only place that there is more or less an instant profit is through the sales partnerships through companies like sbc and sprint telco service. I would like to see better existing customer upgrade options though, such as adding in additional rooms and ugrade options on all receivers at %50- %75 of retail except on the high end units wich should be %80- of retail but that wont happen.

Larsin said:
I have had DISH for over 3 years and have been happy with it. I just got married and the wife wants DISH in 2 other rooms(and I wouldn't mind having HD and/or DVR either).

New customers can get DISH in 4 rooms, plus DVR(and applicable fees)with free installation, but why can't I? Someone mentioned canceling the service, then having my wife call and register as a NEW customer even though service would be at the SAME address. I don't really want to switch to DirectTV either, but I don't understand why good customers don't have more bargaining power.

I don't want to do anything that would be considered "underhanded", and I don't want to necessarily switch to DirectTV on a principle issue...I just think if I want to pay for HD and/or DVR, they could hook up service in 2 more rooms for free.

Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks in advance.
They wont let you have the dishn up promo ? Usually an existing customer can upgrade for $99 and/or a one year commitment. As far as the new account, this can be done by having your wife setup a new account and adding #2 or apt B to your street address then canceling your old account after you get the new one.

I'm going to call them this weekend and see if I can ge that. If not, I guess the wife will be calling afterwards lol.

Larsin said:
I'm going to call them this weekend and see if I can ge that. If not, I guess the wife will be calling afterwards lol.

Gotta do what you gotta do!

You didn't make the rules and she is a new customer so I say go for it.

You don't have to find the profit by customer, what was E*'s reported year end profit to their shareholders?

How many million $ was it?

Well, just wanted to give an update on this issue. DISH wasn't budging on the installation, so I expected my wife to call and set everything up as a new customer.....well, that didn't happen lol.
She called the "other" company and ordered the installation for January 10th. She wanted to take advantage of the special so we will get signals in 3 rooms, HD in the living area, DVR in the bedroom and regular receiver in the den. Pretty good special if you ask me considering it only had a net cost of $44 after the rebates.
I guess I will find out if I like it as much, but it's hard to not get excited about it with HD and DVR coming soon.
Thanks for all the advise.
Merry Christmas!

first of all adding a 1 or #a after the address does not guarantee you will get it , i have lost 5 installs this month due to sales partners setting up the same customers with new promotions, when they just got dish 5 months, ago, show up call up the call center, obviously since the customer already has a system and is attempting to cheat the system, one i am not eating the cost of a DPP 44 so I can hook up 4 dual tuners, when the customer has been told the install is free. Go ahead and try it if you want, i won't install it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)