Why would I want a superdish........

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
joshschuler said:
It's people like you chaddux who make most people not want to use this forum. You're too rude.

I think Tony agrees with me in this situation. You're wrong and you're just continuing to complicate the situation with confusing and incorrect information. Now, you're spamming too. That's unnecessary as well.

joshschuler said:
Yeah, standard FSS LNB. I could find one of those......where exactly? That's right, on the super dish.

Okay, can you just admit you were incorrect and let it go at that? Yes, superdish comes with an FSS LNB. But if you want, you can buy JUST the FSS LNB from dealers or buy a standard FSS LNB from dozens of DVB dealers or ebay and stick it on any dish you want (preferably 30" in diamerer or larger), point it a 105 or 121. You will get the "you have a dish pointed at..." channel and anything else you subscribe to when hokked up to a dish receiver.

A quick internet search yielded the following results.:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5752835771&category=32848#ebayphotohostinghttp://gametz.com/forum/General_Marketplace/topic/152047.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5779938982&category=11726
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5779778636&category=11726
http://www.dvbhardware.com/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=55
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Buy+DVB+FSS+Lnb&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler

I'd list more, but you probably get the point.

See ya
Tony

I have made dozen's of post with helpful information, but you screw up once, and look what you get. A simple, hey, check this out would've been fine. You could've helped me out too instead of being a prick about it.

joshschuler said:
I have made dozen's of post with helpful information, but you screw up once, and look what you get. A simple, hey, check this out would've been fine. You could've helped me out too instead of being a prick about it.

Correct information was posted before you posted your incorrect information. We then corrected you (several times) but you continued to argue and spammed the thread (still don't know why you did that). As you put it, a simple "Hey, I admit I was wrong" would have been fine.

ok, I know I'm getting in on the middle of a contentious subject, but don't shoot the noob...

Will I need to get the superdish if I just want the basic sd package, the hd package, and the voom package? Will I need more than one dish? I've read that voom is still at 61.5, and the rest of the sats are somewhere between 100 and 120. Doesn't sound like a super dish could mange that wide a separation. Can they re-use my existing voom dish, maybe change the lnb or something, which is already pointing at the old voom sat?

I get my locals in HD fine with an old Voom Receiver. Will the same batwing wineguard antenna hook up to a dish receiver and integrate the hd locals with dish programming without buying a power amp?

Gentlemen,I have a Dish 500 plus an original dish 300 that has a dual lnb.I disconnected my 500 input and connected my 300 and went thru the peak angle stuff and aimed the dish at 61.5.Did my check switch-great picture on Pentagon channel.How do I keep this dish connected and my 500 so I can get the "P"channel all the time? What equip do I purchase and what is price.Thanx-tripod.Didnt me to cause an incident between waring factions.

Well, not to "shoot the noob"s, but maybe looking at the stickies is a good idea. :cool:

Try this one: "Sticky: Instructions for Adding the 61.5 - revised 05/04".

Sorry if this thread seems to have gotten out of hand. I am still for the life of me trying to figure out what I could have said differently not to be called a prick for pointing out incorrect info as respectfullty as possible. I guess the "can you just admit you are weong" part could have read more harshly than I intended. I know Chaddux comes off pretty strong, but his info is generally good once you get passed the gistapo interrogation tactics! :) But you can't win them all.

Anyway, to answer the two questions here:
ok, I know I'm getting in on the middle of a contentious subject, but don't shoot the noob...

Will I need to get the superdish if I just want the basic sd package, the hd package, and the voom package? Will I need more than one dish? I've read that voom is still at 61.5, and the rest of the sats are somewhere between 100 and 120. Doesn't sound like a super dish could mange that wide a separation. Can they re-use my existing voom dish, maybe change the lnb or something, which is already pointing at the old voom sat?

At this time and in the forseeable future, you do NOT require a SuperDish for HDTV, nor Standard packages. There is nothing but local channels at 105 and locals and international & locals channels at 121. Those are the only locations that require a superDish. You can see what is at each satellite location here http://www.dishchannelchart.com

I get my locals in HD fine with an old Voom Receiver. Will the same batwing wineguard antenna hook up to a dish receiver and integrate the hd locals with dish programming without buying a power amp?

Yes it will. The 811 and 921 will do this.

Gentlemen,I have a Dish 500 plus an original dish 300 that has a dual lnb.I disconnected my 500 input and connected my 300 and went thru the peak angle stuff and aimed the dish at 61.5.Did my check switch-great picture on Pentagon channel.How do I keep this dish connected and my 500 so I can get the "P"channel all the time? What equip do I purchase and what is price.Thanx-tripod.Didnt me to cause an incident between waring factions.
check out the sticky post. It is the most comprehensive how to on the subject! Or just click here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=66374

Larry also gave me permission to post it over at the Echostar Knowledge Base. BobaBird formatted it a little to make it easier to read. Go to www.echostaruser.com and click on the 61.5 link!

Hope this helps.

See ya
Tony

joshschuler said:
Yeah, standard FSS LNB. I could find one of those......where exactly? That's right, on the super dish.
Seems like everyone here has such a short..... somethin'.
Yes, I was mistaken on the seperate dish issue. But that's the way I was trained. I was right about the LNB though.

#1 - All Superdishes have DishPro FSS LNBs. The FSS LNBs are different for the 105 and the 121. The 121 is curved slightly due to the close proximity with the 119. The 105 is straight.
#2 - There is no current single FSS DP LNB available for stand-alone dishes. The DP FSS is ONLY available as part of the 105/110 and 119/121 SDs.
#3 - ANY Legacy style FSS LNB with work fine for a SuperDIsh in a legacy configuration. A P* LNB is a good example. A single LNB P* is only good for 1 receiver, but a Dual P* LNB is able to be ran into(actually has to) an SW44 or SW64, OR a D* style 2x4/3x4 Switch(which is then connected to up to 4 SW21s).
#4 - Minimum recommended size for the 121 is a 30" round dish. My minimum recommendation for the 105(currently with AMC-2) is a 40x30" P* dish for best reception. This should change once AMC-15 goes live.
#5 - You can actually get a lower signal on a SuperDish than a D500 due to the fact that the SD is NOT optimizable for everywhere. If you could adjust how the single LNB is located, that could help. I have seen signals on the DBS sats drop up to 10-15 points when switching to a SD. And, a bigger dish does not guarentee less rain fade. I had both the 110 and 119 on 30" commercial DBS dishes and still lost signal during storms. And, due to the design of the D500, in some areas, you actually have slightly less than the whole 18" area for each sat due to the reflections and skew corrections.

tripod said:

Please post your installed switch model from your D500. Without it, we can't give you the right advice.

Switch

None,unless one is built into the rcvr.Cables go direct to recvrs.Thanx for all the help. :cool:

Tripod,

If you can see both 110° and 119° channels now and there are two connections on the LNB on the satellite dish, you have a TWIN LNB which has the switch built in. Essentially a Twin LNB is two dual LNBs and a switch in one large casing perched on the dish's arm. The question now boils down to is it a "dish pro" or a "legacy" twin?

To verify you are getting both 110 and 119 channels tune to channel 9900. If you can see this channel and channel 101, you are receiving both satellite locations.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)