Why would M$ make a BD add on for the Xbox?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
They first off want to push digital downloads, why help the competition- optical media?

Even if they did, it would be component out, not HDMI, like the HD DVD add on. Therefore, with DRM becoming activated, those analog outputs could be subject to downrezzing for at least some material. Self defeating to add high def that gets downrezzed.

Would the BDA find it in their interest to grant M$ a license? Would they be required to do so regardless?

Could M$ somehow release a Blu-ray drive that's just "a little bit different" and claim it's more standard since M$ has the largest share of the market? Like they tried to do with Java? Is this a valid concern for the BDA?

They first off want to push digital downloads, why help the competition- optical media?

Even if they did, it would be component out, not HDMI, like the HD DVD add on. Therefore, with DRM becoming activated, those analog outputs could be subject to downrezzing for at least some material. Self defeating to add high def that gets downrezzed.

Would the BDA find it in their interest to grant M$ a license? Would they be required to do so regardless?

Could M$ somehow release a Blu-ray drive that's just "a little bit different" and claim it's more standard since M$ has the largest share of the market? Like they tried to do with Java? Is this a valid concern for the BDA?

WTF are you smoking. All new 360's are HDMI. Where have you been?

The Arcade, the Premium (look for the lots with a HDMI sticker on it), and all Elites (the elite comes with a HDMI cable in box).

The reason they would do it is because Accessories always carry a decent mark up and they could make money on it.

And guess what BD and HD-DVD and Downloads use VC-1 which is a MS codec.

If they felt they could make money I guess they could. The M$ rep has been quoted at CES stating that they fully support HDDVD, BUT if they threw in the towel it would open M$ to making a BD addon.

I still think its more BS from M$, they want HDM to fail and its another way for them to look like they care.

NOT the 360 itself. It is my understanding that the HD DVD add on outputs component separately for movies (it's only use, AFAIK). Are you saying the add on feeds back to the main box and outputs thru HDMI? That would imply a weak link in the DRM chain.

Or does the add on have it's own HDMI output? Something else?

NOT the 360 itself. It is my understanding that the HD DVD add on outputs component separately for movies (it's only use, AFAIK). Are you saying the add on feeds back to the main box and outputs thru HDMI? That would imply a weak link in the DRM chain.

Or does the add on have it's own HDMI output? Something else?

???? eh ????

It's USB 2.0 drive with a 2 port Hub on the back. Has no other outputs (it is an optical drive in an external case, You can literally take it apart and put it in a PC, Or you can just hook it directly to your PC VIA USB.)

I have one. (does look bad next to my black elite though :D) Since they only come in white.

Thanks. I was mistaken. So early models did not include HDMI, but current ones do?

Still, how about the other questions in post 1? Especially, does the BDA even have the option to decline to extend M$ a license?

Thanks. I was mistaken. So early models did not include HDMI, but current ones do?

Still, how about the other questions in post 1? Especially, does the BDA even have the option to decline to extend M$ a license?

They could extend. MS licenses them VC-1 anyway. They probably would want MS on board though because it would kill any resistance to the format anyone could think of :cool:

MAXCONSOLE - XBOX 360 - Reuters: Microsoft's Xbox 360 could consider Blu-ray support

News agency Reuters is running an article which indicates that the Xbox 360 may support the Blu-ray format. The articles comes off the back of comments made by an MS marketing manager who stated that if Blu-ray is the way the consumers votes then it is something the Xbox group will have to consider.

quote:

"It should be consumer choice; and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider," Albert Penello, group marketing manager for Xbox hardware said when asked whether Microsoft would support a Blu-ray DVD accessory in the event that HD-DVD failed.

Microsoft's Xbox could consider Blu-ray support | Industries | Technology, Media & Telecommunications | Reuters

Figured as much. Bet there will be a race to get to 2.0 spec :D

The only thing that will keep XBox from supporting BD is JAVA. I don't see it happening. perhaps if BD had stuck with HDi, it would happen.

S~

The only thing that will keep XBox from supporting BD is JAVA. I don't see it happening. perhaps if BD had stuck with HDi, it would happen.

S~

Actually I see MS hacking their java to make it work. Would be another war between MS and Sun but would be funny to watch.

Wish ms would kiss and make up with Sun though. :D

Didn't MS lose that court battle with Sun? Maybe it's all over with, and MS just needs to swallow hard and use the standard Java. ???

Wish ms would kiss and make up with Sun though. :D
They did. Just before McNealy was replaced by Schwartz as CEO.
Few months ago I'd say Microsoft will sooner die than license Java again.
But after they allowed DivX decoding on the 360, I would not say that anymore...

Diogen.

They did. Just before McNealy was replaced by Schwartz as CEO.
Few months ago I'd say Microsoft will sooner die than license Java again.
But after they allowed DivX decoding on the 360, I would not say that anymore...

Diogen.

True enough. I love that feature. But like this decision it was based on what sony was doing. Sony decided to release Divx on their machine so MS went hard core and got it out first. Thats part of the reason I think there will be a race to the 2.0 spec.

Rest assured if Microsoft thought they could make some bucks they will release a BD add on for the 360. The HD-DVD drive was an excellent weapon against Sony. It supported a rival format and gave a feature that compared to the PS3.

Now if HD-DVD goes away and MS thinks it will sell more 360s if they put out BD, they will do it. If they think they have already crushed the PS3 and do not need it, they wont. They have crushed Sun, they can afford to be nice to them now.

Since the PS3 is now outselling the Xbox360, I don't think either is "crushed." We'll have to see how that sales rate holds up over the next few months.

It would be odd to see them sell a Blu-ray player add on, since they have shifted their story suddenly to "optical media is dying." Maybe you're right and they'll see money left laying on the table- and maybe customers buying the PS3 as a 2 in 1 device over the "single" (sorta) purpose 360.

Since the PS3 is now outselling the Xbox360, I don't think either is "crushed." We'll have to see how that sales rate holds up over the next few months.

It would be odd to see them sell a Blu-ray player add on, since they have shifted their story suddenly to "optical media is dying." Maybe you're right and they'll see money left laying on the table- and maybe customers buying the PS3 as a 2 in 1 device over the "single" (sorta) purpose 360.

Is the NPD numbers out yet. Because MS is claiming that they sold more in December. ( I say claim)

and
November NPD numbers.

Nintendo DS - 1.53 million (from 458k)
Wii - 981K (from 519k)
Xbox 360 - 770K (from 366k)
PSP - 567K (from 286k)
PlayStation 2 - 496K (from 184k)
PlayStation 3 - 466K (from 121k)

Is last Novembers Numbers 770 k vs 466k

That is hardly outselling bro. :)

I know you want your console to win but its not time yet. :p

No, there's a thread on this, I think in this forum. I believe they were quoting VGChartz for December hw and sw sales.

My PS3 is for movies. I have around 50. And no games.

Either way, they've sold a ton of PS3s lately, so they're hardly crushed.

No, there's a thread on this, I think in this forum. I believe they were quoting VGChartz for December hw and sw sales.

My PS3 is for movies. I have around 50. And no games.

Either way, they've sold a ton of PS3s lately, so they're hardly crushed.

Yeah but they are not beating anyone either. :D

Except HD-DVD that is.

Or in Japan where you couldn't sell an American Product to save your life. :)

Here is the software chart from there from this week, though there 16.33 mill is off if you believe the NPD numbers of 17.7 that MS is toting around (for total hardware sales).
VG Chartz | American Weekly Chart

BTW Forza and Marvel come packaged with the 360 and motostorm comes packaged with PS3

Last edited: