Wi Fi and the ViP 722

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwgreen68

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Hiding in your attic
Ok, bear with me, this may be a stupid question. I don't have broadband internet. I connect using my neighbor's wi fi. Thats how my Nintendo WII connects as well. I'd like to know if there's a way that my 722 could connect using wi fi to that signal as well? And, if so, what equipment would I need?

If your neighbor is using Apple Air Port Extreme/Express, you can get a $99 Air Port Express and program it to communicate via WiFi and use it's Ethernet port to connect the 766.

That is awesome, always wanted to ask my neighbor if I could use their network, but never got the nuts to ask. Just decided to man up and build my own. In any case, yes, you can do what you are asking. You will need what is called a Wireless Gaming Adapter and then just plug it into one of the USB slots. Depending on your neighbors set up, they might have to do some configuring, but, I hear it is very easy to do.

Last edited:
naw, my neighbor doesn't know. He just has an unsecured connection. Don't think I'll knock on his door and ask him what his setup is! Kinda similar to connecting at a hotspot for me. I figure, why buy it, if ya can get it for free? So, don't know if the gaming adapter would work or not.

I will second what Aries said and add my own op-ed: you're essentially stealing your neighbor's Internet. Yes, the car is unlocked with the keys in the ignition, but it's really the same idea.

Having said that...

Having a wireless gaming adapter is your key. A word of caution, and that is that the DLink Wireless Gaming adapter (DWL-G820) has TWO versions: Version A and Version RevB.

You want the 'RevB' version of the adapter. It looks different than the Version A. Make sure to ask the seller before you buy the product. I didn't know there was any difference, and now I'm stuck using my 'Version A' in a workaround that I'm not real pleased about.

Everyone speaks well of this adapter, and it does work well. Just make sure you get the right one.

DLink also has another gaming adapter. I'm not recalling the name, but it's black and has 'GameFuel' technology.

Remember, a wireless gaming adapter is simply a 'wireless ethernet bridge'. So if you find one of those that will work too.

Lastly, some wireless routers can be converted into ethernet bridges using some software: DD-WRT or TOMATO. I've never done this, but it can be done, and since routers are generally cheaper than bridges or gaming adapters, if you or a friend are technically savvy enough, you can have a wireless bridge and save several dollars, while at the same time having four connections available for any other components that you want to hook up to the Internet.

naw, my neighbor doesn't know. He just has an unsecured connection. Don't think I'll knock on his door and ask him what his setup is! Kinda similar to connecting at a hotspot for me. I figure, why buy it, if ya can get it for free? So, don't know if the gaming adapter would work or not.

Dude, not to be a schmuck, but that is, without question, totally illegal... how would you feel if someone leached off of you and pulled your bandwidth down, while you were paying for it? Stupid or not, your neighbor is your neighbor. If you left your house unlocked, is it ok for them to come in and eat your food, take a few things, everyday?

Not to be a wank, but when they catch you, they'll burn you. Google the subject, and you'll see, its rather costly, if caught, leads to a record.

Now, I'll admit, I do it too, but only when on the road, and even then, its truly rare... but your neighbor, that hits a little too close to home, and that's how people are getting busted. When the customer complains about speed, and when field techs arrive, they could, potentially, sniff you out, bust and/or, lock you out... but I'm reading about more, and more prosecutions on the matter...

BTW, your neighbor, isn't the brightest bulb on the block, they're just asking for it.

AT&T DSL is $10 per month (special for 1 year). I pay $25 per month for 1.5Mps downstream/387 up... use it with iMac, MacBook, Wii, Skype... with a ridiculously humongous WAPP2 key...

To do ethernet Dish, I believe you'll need at least 3Mps, on your own, just to be smooth... you start doing all that with your neighbor, and you'll end up pulling everybody down to their knee's, they'll end up calling support...

Last edited:
I will second what Aries said and add my own op-ed: you're essentially stealing your neighbor's Internet. Yes, the car is unlocked with the keys in the ignition, but it's really the same idea.

Having said that...

Having a wireless gaming adapter is your key. A word of caution, and that is that the DLink Wireless Gaming adapter (DWL-G820) has TWO versions: Version A and Version RevB.

You want the 'RevB' version of the adapter. It looks different than the Version A. Make sure to ask the seller before you buy the product. I didn't know there was any difference, and now I'm stuck using my 'Version A' in a workaround that I'm not real pleased about.

Everyone speaks well of this adapter, and it does work well. Just make sure you get the right one.

DLink also has another gaming adapter. I'm not recalling the name, but it's black and has 'GameFuel' technology.

Remember, a wireless gaming adapter is simply a 'wireless ethernet bridge'. So if you find one of those that will work too.

Lastly, some wireless routers can be converted into ethernet bridges using some software: DD-WRT or TOMATO. I've never done this, but it can be done, and since routers are generally cheaper than bridges or gaming adapters, if you or a friend are technically savvy enough, you can have a wireless bridge and save several dollars, while at the same time having four connections available for any other components that you want to hook up to the Internet.
You're actually comparing apples and oranges there. A car is an owned piece of property. You cannot own a wireless signal. But, if he didn't want anyone else to have access to it, he could secure it.

Thanks for the advice though. How do I setup the gaming adapter? Will it automatically scan for available networks, like the Wii does?

The Dlink adapter that I referenced has to be set up using a desktop or laptop computer. Plug the adapter into the ethernet plug on your computer and then navigate in your browser to 192.168.0.35 and then go to the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Site Survey' button. After the router comes up that you want to connect to, double click that line, and the information for that router should be added to the SSID, etc. information above. Click apply, wait for the adapter to restart, and then you should be good to go.

Go into your broadband setup in your 722, reset the connection, and you should have a connection.

Here's the adapter I was talking about:

D-Link GamerLounge - DWL-G820 High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless 108Mbps Gaming Adapter

The one pictured in the above link is the one you want.

Here's a link to the web setup emulator that you can play with before your adapter arrives.

DWL-G820

The one pictured in the upper left of this emulator is the old version that you don't want. So if that's what was sent to you, make sure you return it and ask for the new one.

Hope that helps...and we'll have to agree to disagree about the neighbor's wireless.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

TC

Dude, not to be a schmuck, but that is, without question, totally illegal... not to be a wank, but when they catch you, they'll burn you. Google the subject, and you'll see, its rather costly, if caught. I do it too, but only on the road... but your neighbor, that hits a little too close to home, and that's how people are getting busted. When the customer complains about speed, and when field techs arrive, they could, potentially, sniff you out.

BTW, your neighbor, isn't the brightest bulb on the block, they're just asking for it.

AT&T DSL is $10 per month (special for 1 year ). I pay $25 per mont for 1.5Mps downstream/387 up... use it with iMac, MacBook, Wii, Skype... with a ridiculously humongous WAPP2 key...

To do ethernet Dish, I believe you'll need at least 3Mps, on your own, just to be smooth... you start doing all that with your neighbor, and you'll end up pulling everybody down to their knee's, they'll end up calling support...
Nope, it's only illegal if I hacked a secure connection, which I didn't. That's why the router has a place for you to either secure it or leave it unsecured.

That is awesome, always wanted to ask my neighbor if I could use their network, but never got the nuts to ask. Just decided to man up and build my own. In any case, yes, you can do what you are asking. You will need what is called a Wireless Gaming Adapter and then just plug it into one of the USB slots. Depending on your neighbors set up, they might have to do some configuring, but, I hear it is very easy to do.

Hi Aries,
I have my own wifi but it is in another room so was wondering if this would work to connect wirelessly to the connection? Could I attach this to the USB port on my 722?
Thanks.

Amazon.com: Belkin ME1001-USB Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter 802.11g: Electronics

The Dlink adapter that I referenced has to be set up using a desktop or laptop computer. Plug the adapter into the ethernet plug on your computer and then navigate in your browser to 192.168.0.35 and then go to the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Site Survey' button. After the router comes up that you want to connect to, double click that line, and the information for that router should be added to the SSID, etc. information above. Click apply, wait for the adapter to restart, and then you should be good to go.

Go into your broadband setup in your 722, reset the connection, and you should have a connection.

Here's the adapter I was talking about:

D-Link GamerLounge - DWL-G820 High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless 108Mbps Gaming Adapter

The one pictured in the above link is the one you want.

Here's a link to the web setup emulator that you can play with before your adapter arrives.

DWL-G820

The one pictured in the upper left of this emulator is the old version that you don't want. So if that's what was sent to you, make sure you return it and ask for the new one.

Hope that helps...and we'll have to agree to disagree about the neighbor's wireless.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

TC
Thanks. I was just interested in how it would work anyways. His connection is too slow for it too work and I wouldn't intentionally hog his bandwith to begin with.

You're actually comparing apples and oranges there. A car is an owned piece of property. You cannot own a wireless signal. But, if he didn't want anyone else to have access to it, he could secure it.

Dude, FCOM is totally right (about this anyways:D.) Your argument is the same as the guys that steal sat signals from Dish and then use the excuse that it "must be free, you cannot own the air." Well, you are using the bandwidth that your neighbor rightfully pays for and you do not, as well as using the router which your neighbors owns and paid for. That is indeed stealing by any definition. Just because the network is unsecured, it is still the property of your neighbor and you should not access it without permission. I guarantee you that if they figure it out, which is not hard to do and they call the police, I guarantee that the Police with disagree with your theory as well, not to mention the fact that they could say you access compromised their network and that you "hacked" it. Good luck trying to fight that in court. I think a few bucks a month to be legit is well worth not having the headache of the alternative. Just my $0.02.

Hi Aries,
I have my own wifi but it is in another room so was wondering if this would work to connect wirelessly to the connection? Could I attach this to the USB port on my 722?
Thanks.

Amazon.com: Belkin ME1001-USB Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter 802.11g: Electronics

Whole point of the game adapter is to do it wirelessly off your wi-fi router. Not sure about the Belkin USB adapter you post and how well it works, or if it is compatible. I have never personally used it, but the premise is the same. I would go with the D-Link Game Adapter that was recommended previously. This will allow use the Wi-Fi signal from your router to connect your reciever without running ethernet cables all over the place.

Running your wireless unsecured is stupid.

Getting convicted of a felony using your neighbor's unsecured wifi is VERY STUPID.

On April 21, Richard Dinon of St. Petersburg, Florida, called police after he saw Smith in a car on the street outside his house using a notebook computer. Smith, 40, was arrested and charged with a felony under a Florida law that prohibits unauthorized access to a computer or network, according to police.

The ultimate penalty for the 2000-vintage law: five years in jail, $10,000 fine.

The law says:

752.795 Prohibited conduct.

Sec. 5.

A person shall not intentionally and without authorization or by exceeding valid authorization do any of the following:

(a) Access or cause access to be made to a computer program, computer, computer system, or computer network to acquire, alter, damage, delete, or destroy property or otherwise use the service of a computer program, computer, computer system, or computer network.

(b) Insert or attach or knowingly create the opportunity for an unknowing and unwanted insertion or attachment of a set of instructions or a computer program into a computer program, computer, computer system, or computer network, that is intended to acquire, alter, damage, delete, disrupt, or destroy property or otherwise use the services of a computer program, computer, computer system, or computer network. This subdivision does not prohibit conduct protected under section 5 of article I of the state constitution of 1963 or under the first amendment of the constitution of the United States.

I am affraid that even though your neighbor is stupid for not securing his network the poster is indeed breaking the law by using his network without permission.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)