Wide / Narrow Picture Settings

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Basically I think that I do want my standard channels stretched to fill the screen, and my wide, to well, stay wide...

What are the correct settings to achieve this? I play around with the settings and it seems to stay the same?

If your STB is in a fixed-resolution mode, set "Narrow to Wide" option to "Stretch". This will only affect SD channels. Some HD stations show 4:3 programs upconverted to HD without stretching. These programs cannot be stretched within the STB.

If your STB is set to Native mode, switch to one of the SD channels (CNN) and set Wide mode on your TV set.

Also any channels received OTA you will not be able to stregth either. I gotten use to leaving the picture the way it was made. Also I have a DLP so I don't have to worry with "burn ins".

Ok think that's it, stuff like CNN stretches and crops but OTA commercials, or shows not in HD I get side bars...yeah my TV has fixed viewing for the DVI.

Someone please help me. You guys are confusing me. I currently have cable and I ALWAYS leave my TV on the Wide setting (actually my TV calls it the standard setting). I am assuing that this automatically stretches everything. I am confused when you guys refer to material that "can't be stretched" as everything i watch is stretched to 16:9. I also have a "stretch" mode on my TV. It seems to keep everything in the middle of the screen looking the same as 4:3 but on the edges the screen is distorted.

My regular 4:3 mode is called "narrow" and has gray vertical bars on each sided but I hardly watch any of this. I almost always keep it on standard(what you guys are calling "wide"). Is this wrong if what I am watching is not broadcast in Widescreen?

DBene,

non-hd material is broadcast as 4:3 (except for TNT-HD and other few programs). If you leave your TV in standard mode (or something like that), you end up with either gray or black bars on the side. That's 4:3 material not stretched. You may stretch this material for whatever reason but it is not sent by broadcasters as 16x9.

Sean,

I am guessing this is why some stuff on widescreen looks like everyone's face is really wide.

I would watch the regular 4:3 but I really don't like those gray bars on the side. I guess it takes some getting used to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts