wierd - 622 has ip address/dhcp and NOT PLUGGED IN!

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
Hi

I was fooling around with my now unsubscribed 622 (I went to cable a while back).

Under system setup, broadband setup, I see it has an address and my comcast dns servers. With status 'Network connected'. I reset it, and they all came back!

Normal, except, THERE IS NO ETHERNET CABLE INTO THE 622!!!!!

How do do that?

Via satellite.

Pretty easy - when your 622 got the settings it sent to Dish server, then later the info pushed to your DVR via sat stream.

j/k

622 keep the data on disk or NVRAM and can reuse.

I did a reset connection, and it comes back in a few seconds.

I am serious here, how is it connecting to my network?

The ethernet is NOT, repeat, NOT connected to anything.

It is getting this from my dhcp server in my router, I looked.
I does have a valid address/subnet and dns servers for comcast.

How is this happenning?

Via satellite.

Pretty easy - when your 622 got the settings it sent to Dish server, then later the info pushed to your DVR via sat stream.

j/k

622 keep the data on disk or NVRAM and can reuse.

Fine, except it has NEVER been connected to my network, so where did it get the first settings?

Well, they did say that the 622 has a HomePlug chip built into it. So it can communicate with other HomePLUG 1.0/1.1 devices. So you have any of those power line adapters in your household?

The 622 may have found one of them and configured itself to use that for its internet connection.

Wow - What cable box do you have. Perhaps the home-plug is there.

I'm not in front of my box, but from system config isn't there a place to connect to other devices (like 622's). Perhaps take a look there.

Hmmm, wonder if any routers might have home-plug built in. Another though, I'm not sure it would connect to home-plug in cable box. That would be going to the router WAN port which would get firewalled out.

Any home automation stuff ?

Either way, it'spretty cool.

Looks like the new software is trying anything possible to connect to the internet... Perhaps you do not even have homeplug devices but a nearby neighbor on the same electric utility transformer does have one... The 622 has turned into an internet leech... It will connect to Dish by any means necessary to report your viewing habits!

My guess is that it is has a built in wireless type card on the main board or it's using the antenna on back of the receiver. Which it could then pick up wireless routers then.

If they had wireless ethernet capability I bet Dish would have advertized it long ago as a coming feature. They advertized the home plug and regular ethernet a long time ago.

If they had wireless ethernet capability I bet Dish would have advertized it long ago as a coming feature. They advertized the home plug and regular ethernet a long time ago.

Well true but something is broadcasting from the box so that tells me there is something in the receiver. :)

Homeplug devices have the adapter built in, so they don't require any additional cabling. Everything they need comes through the power cord.
Hmmm, I was looking at this adapter, but maybe there are other approaches.

Attachments

• homeplug_network_extender.jpg
    homeplug_network_extender.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 179
Well true but something is broadcasting from the box so that tells me there is something in the receiver. :)

More likely the power cord is picking up a homeplug connection from somewhere, including other houses in the neighborhood...

Hmm well I think Dish uses BroadCom for their boards so sometime take a laptop and use the wireless feature to search for wireless devices. Sometimes Broadcom does show up as a wireless network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)