Wifi dongle signal strength

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
What are you all getting? I know it states over 40 is okay but the highest I can get on the same floor is 63. Pretty pitiful if you ask me but then again it is Netgear. I've moved it around thinking I would be able to at least achieve 80ish... Nope.

I'm in the high 30's and mid 40's. Router is in basement and 722 is on second floor. I haven't noticed any lag or delay from it.

Anything over 40 is fine. The scale doesn't really go to 100%. Even if the dongle was 2 inches away from the router it probably wouldn't even hit 100%.

EDIT: Just checked the strength on my wireless Joey. 48-50 strength in the same room. It's pretty much just showing the SNR which is NEVER 100. Anything over 25 is considered good on wireless G and wireless N. You'll be hard pressed to EVER hit much higher than 60 even in the same room. I have two high power directional antennas on my router, here are my signal strengths on various devices (wireless Joey is highlighted.)

wifi.png

The wireless Joey is about 5 feet away from the two high-powered antennas. 1A:1D is my laptop which is also about 5-6 feet away (less obstructions though.) The top 00:03 is a wireless bridge which is about 30 feet away through several walls (and glass.) Bottom 00:03 is about 30 feet away with slightly less walls and no glass. 2F:F3 is a wireless printer about 30 feet away with a good bit of obstructions. 3D:D5 is my Roku which is in the same room as the router. It's the closest device to the antennas.

Again, anything over 25 is considered "very good." The scales are just weird kinda like the Point Dish signal meter.

• > 40dB SNR = Excellent signal (5 bars); always associated; lightning fast.
  • 25dB to 40dB SNR = Very good signal (3 - 4 bars); always associated; very fast.
  • 15dB to 25dB SNR = Low signal (2 bars); always associated; usually fast.
  • 10dB - 15dB SNR = Very low signal (1 bar); mostly associated; mostly slow.
  • 5dB to 10dB SNR = No signal; not associated; no go.

Last edited:
Interesting. Appreciate it fellas.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SatelliteGuys

I spoke too soon, this morning it shows disconnected and I've redid setup over and over and DHCP test fails. Anyone give any advice please? I've inserted the dongle from the back of the box with it in as instructed, rescanned (even entered my stuff all over again) even though it connected fine and into the night. I keep getting the yellow light to blink and occasionally the blue one (the manual doesn't say what the blue is for???)

All of my other wireless devices are still working perfectly, have no idea what could've went wrong.

What happened & what is that little button for next to the yellow light?

Thanks!

The button is for the easy connect (or whatever they call it) - this won't apply to most people - and if it did, I still wouldn't push it. Basically, you can let the router authenticate to devices by pushing the button on the router, then push the button on the device.

And here I was thinking 70's were a little low!Course my router is just in the den,one half wall away.:D

100% is possible but it has to be extremely close to the router.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)