Will 922 be able to sling HD to my 2nd TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cocophone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 12, 2004
I have some questions about the new 922 DVR. Thanks if anybody can answer.

Will the 922 be able to sling HD to my 2nd TV?

Would I need a sling catcher hooked up to my 2nd TV?

Would I be able to then watch a live HD show on TV 1 and a different live HD show on TV 2?

Would I be able to then watch a DVR HD show on TV 1 and a different DVR HD show on TV 2?

the answer to your last two questions is yes, if the answer to the first is yes.

Dish has announced that it will sling HD to their specific portable wi-fi enabled monitor, and that it will be "TV2". Whether or not it will also sling HD to a slingcatche, I believe, is not yet known.

I have cat5e ethernet going to my TV 2.

So it sounds like I would be able to buy a 922 for TV 1 and a HD Sling Catcher for TV 2.

I don't need or want wireless monitor for TV 2.

My plan is to upgrade to HD in either May or June. I'm hoping Dish has the 922 available by then and Sling has the HD sling catcher by then too.

All questions are answered with a yes once the SlingCatcher is upgraded to HD.
Is this 'upgrade' you're mentioning a firmware upgrade, or a new model of SlingCatcher? I'm also wanting to Sling E* HD content to a 2nd/3rd/4th HDTV using just one 922 in Single mode from my first/main location (where the main HDTV/922 is located). I'm hoping this is going to be possible, and that the picture quality on the Slung-to TVs is good/great. Also, is ethernet at the 922 location necessary?

Is this 'upgrade' you're mentioning a firmware upgrade, or a new model of SlingCatcher? I'm also wanting to Sling E* HD content to a 2nd/3rd/4th HDTV using just one 922 in Single mode. I'm hoping this is going to be possible, and that the picture quality on the Slung-to TVs is good/great. Also, is ethernet at the 922 location necessary?

I am pretty sure ethernet is the prerequisite for any of sling's technologies. I mean, you could probably get away with powerline ethernet or wireless, but with reduced quality/reliability.

I'm less interested in Sling tech than in the DLNA compliant technology. Unless Sling carries the full Dish UI and DLNA has a really weak UI.

What is unclear to me is whether the 922 will be able to "catch" slung (slinged?) stuff itself.

Yes, the 922 is also a Catcher as well as a Slinger. To answer another question, it will only Sling to one device at a time. It would be cool if Dish did a firmware upgrade to the 622/722 to be a SlingCatcher too but unlikely.

It would be cool if Dish did a firmware upgrade to the 622/722 to be a SlingCatcher too but unlikely.
I'm hopeful for that. It really wouldn't be too hard to do. It's a lot less difficult that using a 922 as a master to a 722 and making the two of them do smart load balancing. :)

Yes, the 922 is also a Catcher as well as a Slinger. To answer another question, it will only Sling to one device at a time. It would be cool if Dish did a firmware upgrade to the 622/722 to be a SlingCatcher too but unlikely.
I hadn't considered that a 922 would only be able to sling to one catcher at a time. You really can't view the same stream at multiple locations simultaneously?

How, for example, does one 'transfer' the Sling? Let's say my 922 is in my den and i have a Catcher in my bedroom and a Catcher in my office. If I'm slinging to my bedroom, and then want to watch in my office, can I transfer the content to my office on the fly? And then I assume my bedroom would go 'blank'?

I just need to sling a HD Video and Stereo Audio from my living room to my bedroom TV.

My 2 daughters have sleepovers with their friends and I don't want to watch what they're watching.

Right now I have a 522 DVR and that works great with my SD TVs, but I'm planning on upgrading both TVs to HD this summer.

I could be wrong that the 922 can only sling to one device at a time, I was assuming that it works just like a Slingbox. It could technically Sling the same stream to more than one device, lets hope so, but it would make the trick play functions more complex. It was mentioned that the Sling stream would be called TV3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts