Will 922 suffice to watch TV from afar?

bortery

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
US
I've read a lot of posts about the 922 here and seen the massive amounts of complaints. It also seems that it's improved lately (somewhat). I have a question for a very specific use case.

The use case is that I am on an extended leave from home, and want to use my laptop to watch the channels that I am able to get on my TV at home (and I want the ability to record up to two shows at a time). So just one laptop, and one TV. I don't even care about HD. But this laptop will basically be all I have for TV, so I want to be able to fast forward/rewind without issues.

What's my best option? Will the 922 suffice? If it's THAT bad, what are my other options? The 722 looks like it's a dual tuner, which I don't think I'd need? And if going with a model that isn't the 922, do I then need the sling adapter? Is there a monthly fee for the sling adapter? Can I even use the sling adapter on a NON dual tuner, so like a cheaper model?

Any input is welcome, thanks!

The sling adapter will work on the 722 /722k receivers and I believe that is all. I have one on my 722k and it works great with a small menu bar that lets you play , rewind, fast forward , skip forward/backward. The sling adapter will sling in HD, if you meet the minimum requirements for computer & internet speed, etc, or it will sling in just plain sd. The sling adapter is only $99.00 and there is NO monthly fee,as of now.

As for the 922 , it supposedly is doing better since the last update ,but I can't speak to the last software upgrade ,because I no longer have the 922. I traded it in last November for a 722k because I was tired of the glitches and bugs. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when I couldn't even use the remote access for slinging the video over a three day period. I'm sure someone else who has the 922 now, can comment on the present condition of the 922 , so you can compare and make a decision.

Just a quick jump in - I've had the 922 for a while and was hoping that the Sling would work on my pc and then iPad - It didn't really work on either because my upload speed was not sufficient - normally between 375-450k - you need probably closer to 1mb upload speed. I FINALLY was just able to order the AT&T Uverse (wasn't available in my area) and it comes a week from Friday. Anxious to see how it works. Just saying that for many, the upload speed from your home to the internet was the determining factor on whether it worked well. If I use it at home on my own network, it's fine.

Larry Becker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)