Will a 10' dish work with DIRECTV Receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brunostachel

Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
St. Louis
Well it's finally happened. The last of the Movie Channels (STARZ) has left the C-Band world and all that is left are the chump channels. I guess I will need to move to the small dish. I would like to use my 10-foot Perfect 10 dish antenna instead of the little pancake to avoid the infamous "rain fade" that renders the little dish unusable in rain storms. Will my 10-footer work with either DIRECTTV or DISH Network and, if so, will they allow me to use it?

Thank you very much.

Well it's finally happened. The last of the Movie Channels (STARZ) has left the C-Band world and all that is left are the chump channels. I guess I will need to move to the small dish. I would like to use my 10-foot Perfect 10 dish antenna instead of the little pancake to avoid the infamous "rain fade" that renders the little dish unusable in rain storms. Will my 10-footer work with either DIRECTTV or DISH Network and, if so, will they allow me to use it?

Thank you very much.

You'll have a hard time finding compatable LNB's to work with it ...

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You could theoretically use one lnb and pick up one satellite, but you need to get at least three. Rain fade is largely a myth perpetrated by cable companies. I would guess I lose about 1 to 2 hours a year in rain outages.

Welcome to the site! Yes you could but it would be a pain to get the right focal point for three lnbfs at the same time. but it could be done. As far as rain fade it would help with a bigger dish but not prevent a total down pour because of the wavelength of the ku/ka band. Also if you are using a mesh dish and the holes are too big the ku signals would go right though the holes instead of reflect. ;)

Thank all of you very much for your replies. I sounds like the big dish would be more trouble than it's worth and it is a mesh dish so it may not work at all. I do miss the C-band that I have been using since 1992 but i guess it's time I move into the 21st century. Thanks again for the valuable information and all your expert advice.

Yea, honestly, your better off using the official dish, if your going to be a new customer, which it sounds like you will, you might as well get the install done professionally and get all the promos and stuff, they install the dish and all free anyway.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Thank all of you very much for your replies. I sounds like the big dish would be more trouble than it's worth and it is a mesh dish so it may not work at all. I do miss the C-band that I have been using since 1992 but i guess it's time I move into the 21st century. Thanks again for the valuable information and all your expert advice.
You might want to go over to the FTA Forums, here at SatGuys, and look around to see what you can still do,and get,with the big dish.And as the others have said,it's just easier and works better to use the proper dish for either Direct or Dish.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss C-band. There's plenty of free programming available on C-band, not to mention lots of sports and news feeds. C-band is not dead. Far from it.

I gotta agree with the above posts.

The larger dish will not help much. In certain circumstances, the pizza dish signals are attenuated far too much before reaching the dish to matter much how large the dish is. But in my experience, signal losses from pizza dishes is FAR less than cable outages.

FTA still has a lot to offer, if you view it as a hobby and not as simple viewing. Look over the FTA forum.

Happy hunting!

ChannelNotice04152013.GIF

So sad, the last of C-Band subscription programming is slowly dieing off, should I sell my 905 while it's still worth something? Never going to give up my 922 as long as it can still be used for my choice of music. I do need to get a decent DVB-S2 STB, the one in the computer is great for recording and getting odd codec signals but very inconvenient for surfing.

As far as the OP question, if it were a solid dish I would do it for 101 Ku only and it might be possible though the use of non-swm stuff and multi switches to combine 101 Ku on a big solid dish with the 99 and 103 from a Slimline 3.

For now, I would keep the big dish up and pointed at Galaxy 14 at 125.0°W and enjoy your choice of music in addition to the DirecTV you'll be ordering and eventually order a DVB-S2 FTA receiver.

Last edited:
he could check with hardware retailers that do business in Alaska.
My brother has a 6 foot antenna for his D* system

I'm sure he could get the one that they use in Hawaii and Alaska, those are bigger dishes too, but I think he's wanting to use his 10ft BUD.

I'm sure he could get the one that they use in Hawaii and Alaska, those are bigger dishes too, but I think he's wanting to use his 10ft BUD.

The problem with that is, if he gets an AK/HI dish installed in the lower 48, 9/10 techs will have no idea what to do with it should he ever require servicing. So it would need to be self installed, and self serviced.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)