Will a 311 dial out without being connected to the Dish?

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I'm doing some extensive remodeling...it's going to take at least 2 months or so...and during that time my 311 won't be able to be connected to the satellite dish.

Hearing of all the horror stories from the audit department, and hoping to avoid them (it'll be a pain to swap it out in another room if they call), can I just leave the box plugged into the power outlet and a phone outlet to have it dial out? It'd sure save a lot of trouble.

I'm doing some extensive remodeling...it's going to take at least 2 months or so...and during that time my 311 won't be able to be connected to the satellite dish.

Hearing of all the horror stories from the audit department, and hoping to avoid them (it'll be a pain to swap it out in another room if they call), can I just leave the box plugged into the power outlet and a phone outlet to have it dial out? It'd sure save a lot of trouble.

Instead of leaving it connected, have you considered calling dish and removing it from your account ($5 downgrade fee), and adding it back in 2 months ($10 outlet fee saved)? If you don't own it and it's on lease, you may be able to return it now and get a replacement when you're ready to reconnect it again.

Yes...I thought of that. I own the receiver, and I'll just pay the extra $10 for the two months. It's really the same bill I've been getting all along, as the receiver has been hooked up previously.

However, it is a fifth tuner, and I know that makes them suspicious. Not really wanting to deal with the rude audit team I hear about (especially since it would take awhile to hook back up to another room - and what happens if someone else is home but I'm not if they call?) I want to keep letting it dial out.

I'm pretty sure just plugging it into the power outlet and phone line should work...

Yes...I thought of that. I own the receiver, and I'll just pay the extra $10 for the two months. It's really the same bill I've been getting all along, as the receiver has been hooked up previously.

However, it is a fifth tuner, and I know that makes them suspicious. Not really wanting to deal with the rude audit team I hear about (especially since it would take awhile to hook back up to another room - and what happens if someone else is home but I'm not if they call?) I want to keep letting it dial out.

I'm pretty sure just plugging it into the power outlet and phone line should work...

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I was recommending...

Call dish and tell them to remove the receiver from your account. You now go from 5 tuners to 4, and your bill decreases by $5 / month. The audit team now only looks for the 4 active tuners.

In 2 months, call dish to reactivate the receiver. You now go from 4 tuners to 5 and your bill increases by $5 / month.

Yes, I could do that, but I'd rather keep it activated in the case that I end up using it (possibility we may get the TV wall finished early). Which is why I want to keep iut plugged in to only the phone line.

You can just leave it in the closet unplugged. 311's are not required to be plugged in to a phone line. I know many people who go RVing for the summer and unplug their 311 and take it with them. No charges incurred. The audit department will only hurt you if it IS plugged in at another location. So just don't plug it in.

Hmm...I've heard of them hitting up customers that have a high number of tuners with one unplugged constantly.

Most likely it won't call in if not connected to a dish. I will also lose it's authorization if not connected. The best thing to do if you don't want to disconnect(there is NO fee to disconect hardware) would be to run a temporary cable to a location you can keep it conected at.

Yes, I could do that, but I'd rather keep it activated in the case that I end up using it (possibility we may get the TV wall finished early). Which is why I want to keep iut plugged in to only the phone line.

OK this is not that hard

call & take the receiver off of your account, when you are ready to hook it up call back & have them add it back to your account, just make sure it is not a leased receiver.

As for this statement

You can just leave it in the closet unplugged. 311's are not required to be plugged in to a phone line. I know many people who go RVing for the summer and unplug their 311 and take it with them. No charges incurred. The audit department will only hurt you if it IS plugged in at another location. So just don't plug it in.

Do not believe it.

Most likely it won't call in if not connected to a dish. I will also lose it's authorization if not connected. The best thing to do if you don't want to disconnect(there is NO fee to disconect hardware) would be to run a temporary cable to a location you can keep it conected at.

OK...guess I'll try, but doesn't look too good...

How long can it be disconnected before it loses its authorization?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)