Will a 36"(91.44cm) dish overcome the interference on G10?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Just curious, if I upgrade to a 36" dish, do you think that will help to overcome the interference that we eperience on G10? I am trying to decide what my next upgrade is going to be - a motor or bigger dish. I would like to get either ordered this week. I plan on putting a post into the ground about 3-4' above ground, so that I can service them easier also.

Good question? I know Ice has one, so he can answer it (possibly)? I would say yes it will definately "HELP", simply because it's bigger. I know for a fact, a 1.2m will overcome the interference, and I personally think a 36" will too?

Al

I also use a 36" SatelliteAV dish and have no problems at all with G10R, even in the rain ;)

Attachments

• Pict0026.JPG
    Pict0026.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 306
  • Pict0110.JPG
    Pict0110.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Pict0111.JPG
    Pict0111.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
There is a big difference in my .90 Andrew and the .75 dish I have.

If you could pick up a used DirecPC dish, those work really well for G10R, and it being an oval, it looks smaller than a round dish.

PSB said:
I also use a 36" SatelliteAV dish and have no problems at all with G10R, even in the rain ;)

Thanks! I see you are not far from me, so I should have similar results!

I will keep an eye out for a used dish. I would like a 1.2m, but..... I see shipping is only $20 less than the dish :) But that would be a big box!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my 1m winegard dish (note that it is 1m x 1.1m in size, and not the 0.9m x 1.0m in size... the effective size is 1m due to the offset) parked on G10r for most of my unattended recordings, and 11720 has been having some issues. The signal does drop out sometimes and is very inconsistant. I use a Quad 0.3 LNBF and have tried re-peaking the dish just this weekend. The other transponders are a lot stronger in strength lately, so I don't think that it is just the dish satellite interference that is the problem. The 1m dish has a narrow enough pattern that the dish satellite should not be an issue. The issue is that that one transponder is currently so low in power that any weather (at either end) makes a big difference. I would say for reliability, a 1.2m dish (minimum) should be used unless the power levels return to what the were. If you can live with the 11720 issues, then a 1m dish works great for the rest of the transponders. I would say the majority of the time, the 1m dish works greats, but the picture will breakup sometimes over a week.

Before the current issues, the transponder 11720 would be almost as strong as the other transponders. I would say about 98% of what the others were. With my Digiwave 7000, all the transponders would peak out at 99% quality, but 11720 just took a little finer adjustments in peaking the dish.

Last edited:
iafirebuff said:
Just curious, if I upgrade to a 36" dish, do you think that will help to overcome the interference that we eperience on G10? I am trying to decide what my next upgrade is going to be - a motor or bigger dish. I would like to get either ordered this week. I plan on putting a post into the ground about 3-4' above ground, so that I can service them easier also.

I'm in NJ and with a 36" fortec and Invacom snh-031. I average around 40% on
the 11720 G10R transponder. All the other transponders are very good 70-90%.
Sometimes the 11720 quaility peaks to 60% and other times I'm losing lock <20%.
If it rains heavy 11720 is 0% and the othe transponders are low but they stay mostly locked.

I have my dish mounted on a post about 5.5' above ground. If it were up to me I would have a BUD in my yard as well but circumstances keep that from happening.
My advice would be to get the biggest dish you can. I believe location plays a big part in the size you need due to the G10 and E9(interference) footprints.

Signals are pretty low tonight at this end also ;) 70% Signal Quality (Usually around 74% signal quality)

36" SatelliteAV Dish and the Invacom QPH-031 LNBF and the Mighty Traxis DBS 3500 ROCK SOLID signal meter ( Reads a tad low compaired with all other receivers :) )

Rain is not a problem with my dish............

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=33137

Attachments

• Pict0113.JPG
    Pict0113.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Will it help, yes. Sounds worthwhile as someone else in your vacinity is having success with that size of dish. Location definately plays a role here. I have a 90x100 dish and I'm dependant upon the conditions as to whether I can get 11720. Its was really strong for a while, and now its back at a marginal level. With an 80 cm dish, I couldn't get anything on 11720. Didn't even register on the quality meter. I say invest in a big dish and if its too big to motorize, mount it rock solid. You won't regret it. Point it at G10R and get a smaller dish and motorize it for other stuff.

Me, I'm considering an LNB upgrade. I don't trust my 0.3 is all its cracked up to be.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses! It sounds like then it is more of a low poer problem than anything else. I usually do not have any problems at night. This happens mostly during the day. Thanks again for all the advice!

76 cm is too small for 11720. It used to be ok here but died out when "the issue" started a while back. I have an old primestar that I'll probably use to aim at g10r if/when I get a chance. I'll probably have to do some fancy talk to get the wife to let me mount another dish on the roof. If/when I get around to it, I'll probably need to add a new satellite for g10r in the receiver since the winegard that I got up on the motor now has an invacom quad lnb, which acts like a standard lnb, and the other lnb that I'd be putting on the primestar is a universal that I bought on ebay before I realized that the quad existed. I don't think it's possible to have both a standard and a universal tied to the same satellite in the receiver, but should be ok if there's a second satellite entry at the same degrees west, just with a different lo.

I have the fortec 36" (90U) and there are a couple of tp's (the problem ones) that are almost unviewable here in Georgia they peak around 40% but fluctuate and the Fortec classic NA gets squirley around 33% so I just don't watch those TP's the rest are all anywhere between 50% and 90%.

icstephen said:
I have the fortec 36" (90U) and there are a couple of tp's (the problem ones) that are almost unviewable here in Georgia they peak around 40% but fluctuate and the Fortec classic NA gets squirley around 33% so I just don't watch those TP's the rest are all anywhere between 50% and 90%.

Sounds like what I get here in Iowa. At about 33% is my min. watchable. WNGS and a few others are low. All others are from the 50's to 80's %. But, it seems that in the evening and early mornings, I do not have any trouble - still low signal, just now problems. So sounds like a larger dish will help. Thanks again everyone!

a 36" will help with the transponder in question. Since there is interference its pretty simple...need a bigger dish for less issues.

I use a 36" and can pull 50 or so on that TP with my Pansat 1500. Also note that each box reads different. My KUSat says 98 quality on all 4 Equity TP's (so what does that tell you??). I don't have the Fortec hooked to it so I can't comment on that one.

Just to add to the pile...

My Coolsat 5k reads 69-70% quality on that TP, that's using a 90cm Fortec dish. The CS goes squirrly when quality dips below 65%.

Another TP, 11805H, gets a solid 94-95% quality.

so true mrweather. on my 30" that TP is at 66 right now (68 max) which is pretty good :)

11805 I max at 85 (not 95...didnt think the 5000 went that high)

I was surprised too. It was essentially "burying the needle" as us amateur radio guys sometimes say about strong signals. :)

When I first hooked everything up and aimed at 79W I was getting 92-93% on the Utah State channels (11742).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)