Will a DirectTV dish work on Dish Network

borhunt

Original poster
May 13, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
I am moving into a new house that already has a DirectTV dish with a 3 headed LNB (one mount with three LNBs on it). The dish looks fairly new.

I want to subscribe to Dish Network but get all of the equipment myself. I am very technically oriented but unfamiliar with satellite equipment.

I was planning on purchasing a DVR 625 on ebay or similar location for use.

Can I use the Direct TV dish and possible change the LNBs to make it similar to the 500 dish or ?????

I noticed there is a switch mounted in the garage that this current dish and an international dish feed into.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

You should buy a Dish 500 with a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBF while you're at it. You can put that dish + lnb on the existing mast if you like and you won't need any switches, just one run to the receiver. If you need internationals, it gets more complicated.

I do plan to run two TVs off the existing cable. I already have a network of two RG-6 cables to each room that I installed with my smart home system wiring 20 years ago. (that was before anyone even used the name). So I shouldn't have a problem with that.

I am unsure if I just use a standard splitter on this cabling system. I imagine I do as the 625 broadcasts on a standard cable channel like 63.

Yes, but I was thinking more along the lines of using diplexers.

There is a wealth of info here at Dish Network's Tech Portal:
TechPortal
Choose your receiver and find a bunch of good info and install examples.

I have looked over the installation drawings. It appears that there is always a requirement for two cables from the dish or switch to the 625 receiver. Is this because of the twin LNB and each required a separate signal to the receiver to get all of the channels provided ?

I had some strange idea that the switch merged the two or more cables from the dish into the one to the receiver.

In my friends house, he has a feed from the dish and it is split in the cable box and only one rg6 to the 625. This includes the feeding of the signal to the second tv. I guess it may be possible that the "splitter" i saw in the cable box is actually a diplexer and there is another diplexer hidden behind the 625. But still there would only be one cable going to the 625 fromthe cable box.

Is there an online installers guide for the professional installer ? Like a professional training manual ?

I have looked over the installation drawings. It appears that there is always a requirement for two cables from the dish or switch to the 625 receiver. Is this because of the twin LNB and each required a separate signal to the receiver to get all of the channels provided ?

I had some strange idea that the switch merged the two or more cables from the dish into the one to the receiver.

In my friends house, he has a feed from the dish and it is split in the cable box and only one rg6 to the 625. This includes the feeding of the signal to the second tv. I guess it may be possible that the "splitter" i saw in the cable box is actually a diplexer and there is another diplexer hidden behind the 625. But still there would only be one cable going to the 625 fromthe cable box.

Is there an online installers guide for the professional installer ? Like a professional training manual ?

You need to look at Dish Pro Plus (DPP) examples, not Dish Pro. I think this is where you are confused. The difference is DPP allows use of a separator (comes with the receiver) to make one cable from the dish feed two tuner inputs on the receiver. No need for a switch, it's built-in to the LNB head assembly. The diplexers are used so the sat signal in and TV 2 out ( and TV 1 out also) can be combined on one cable.

Last edited:
Got it

Well I found a used Dish 500 with the Plus dual LNBs. I have the base mounted and just need to get the balance of the dish attached when the weather is not 100+ outside.

i also purchased a 625 DVR and that should be here is a week or so and then I can get signed up.

Can you point me to some instructions on how to aim the dish ?

I appreciate all the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)