This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Will a wing dish help a 1000.2?

b315653

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I'm just wondering if I added a wing (Dish 500/w DP Single) pointed at 61.5 and hooked to ant. in on triple LNB on 1000.2. What would happen when I do get rain fade on 129. Will it automatically switch over to 61.5 for HD? I have a clean look at 61.5.

Can't do that, so my question is whats wrong with 129? is it being semi blocked by tree's.. can you cut a few limbs or whatever to get it back to clear? As for rain fade, that happens on all of the sats, no way to avoid it but a peaked out 1000.2 dish should help it from happening unless its really heavy rain or high thunderstorm clouds.

You certainly can hook up a wing pointed at 61.5 but, the receiver will not switch from one to the other. I have this exact setup now and more often than not it will pull from 61.5 over 129.

Depending on the weather patterns in your area (and what sats your locals come from) EA might work better than WA for rain fade. I have great line of site for both arcs but the West will always fade before the East just based on the look angles and weather movement in my area.

Hi all, when I used to have a mixed setup on 61.5, 110 and 119 I would often loose the signal when a thunder storm was in the area. If the storm was to the east I would often loose 61.5 but if I hit the power button on the remote and turned the receiver off then back on and quickly hit the guide button I could force a change from HD (61.5) to SD on the 110/119 pair and get the picture back. If the storm was to the west I would loose the SD but could get the picture back on the HD. With 61.5 and 129 being so far apart I'm sure there will be times when one or the other has a signal or not depending on where the storm is so I say yes hooking up the wing dish could well get your picture back but it would depend on where the storm is. If it is is direct over head then you my be out of luck but heck when a storm is direct overhead I usually turn everything off and go hide in the closet ;-) Later, DC

You certainly can hook up a wing pointed at 61.5 but, the receiver will not switch from one to the other. .

This is the reason I said you can NOT do this.... sure you can hook it up but there is no point when the receiver won't switch from one or the other lol.

Best to just repoint the 61.5 to 129, rain fade happens to all of them and more so to the ones that have low signals that may need to be peaked.

Thanks for all the comments! My 1000.2 was recently peaked by dish and I have greats numbers (70s thru 87) on all sats. Just was wondering how to side step most rain fade. It's not excessive. Usually it's not when it's raining all the time but when a storm is moving across the south western skies (western arc).
The 61.5 is higher in the sky here in Ohio and during those storms 61.5 would probably be clear. I have great exposure to all sats actually. But if the receiver won't switch automatically whats the use. Wayne

P.S. Where I am 61.5 is at 37.7 degrees elevation while 129 is at 22.3 elevation.

Last edited:
My 61.5 with lower signal levels and a higher elevation fades much less then 129 with it's higher signal and lower elevation. If your receivers default to 61.5 over 129 (like mine seem to do) this may reduce rain fade for some channels.

Only way to find out for sure is to try it.