Will adding new satellites increase my channels??

benzee1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Cedar Vale, KS
I have WA 110,119,129. Was wondering if I put up a 500 pointing to somewhere else, if it would add any channels or something I don't have now. Or does it not matter because the channels are dependent upon a package (120, 250 etc).

benzee1 said:
I have WA 110,119,129. Was wondering if I put up a 500 pointing to somewhere else, if it would add any channels or something I don't have now. Or does it not matter because the channels are dependent upon a package (120, 250 etc).

You can't just put up another dish and get more(free) channels with E* It all depends on what package you subscribe to

You can't just put up another dish and get more(free) channels with E* It all depends on what package you subscribe to
Actually this answer is technically wrong. Each satellite has Public Interest channels that are free and different on each satellite. So adding 61.5 might add 3-4 PI channels. Problem is most of these PI channels areb't watched so reality is NO YOU WON"T ADD FREE CHANNELS at least nothing most of us would watch.

With those three, you are already getting everything worth watching and then some.

I think you would need another dish to get the international channels, but you would have to pay for them, of course. Otherwise, as has been said, there is not much benefit to another satellite.

Actually this answer is technically wrong. Each satellite has Public Interest channels that are free and different on each satellite. So adding 61.5 might add 3-4 PI channels. Problem is most of these PI channels areb't watched so reality is NO YOU WON"T ADD FREE CHANNELS at least nothing most of us would watch.

sorry bob but the PI channels on 61.5 are IDENTICAL to the ones on 129 that the OP already has
The main core of PI's are on 72 & 110/119

so adding 61.5 will not gain him any extra PI channels

sorry bob but the PI channels on 61.5 are IDENTICAL to the ones on 129 that the OP already has
The main core of PI's are on 72 & 110/119

so adding 61.5 will not gain him any extra PI channels
Sorry Ice I should have checked that the most commonly used mixed arc satellite did offer different PI channels but the intent using 72 instead of 61.5 would have been correct.

Depending on where you are you could gain the Locals in HD by pointing at 77, but other than that, I believe you won't gain anything, since all the programming is the same (in this area at least) between 61.5, 72.7 and 110,119,129 (except the addition of HD of course). Well, there is 1 channel that is East and West, the East is off of 72.7 the West is off of 110, but other than that......

The straight answer to your question is you will get no more channels no matter what other satellite you add without adding programming, and then really only international programming. It is dependent on your package, and having the correct satellites, not how many satellites. You have what is called the Western Arc, since you have all the sats there, you are getting all the programming. Forget anything about 77 that someone mentioned because you are supposed to be on the WA so there is no way any of your channels are on 77. Only if you were to add international programming would you need to also get the 118 satellite.

. You have what is called the Western Arc, since you have all the sats there, you are getting all the programming. Forget anything about 77 that someone mentioned because you are supposed to be on the WA so there is no way any of your channels are on 77.
That is not true. Western Arc has all of the programming in many areas which is the same as what's on Eastern Arc, yes, but local HD comes off of 77. I have done many wing dish installs that are specifically for HD locals. Just because someone is on WA doesn't mean that there is nothing additional for them on 77. If they're on WA then they don't have HD locals therefore there IS something for them on 77. This is not the case everywhere of course, but in many locations it is. Claiming that there "is no way any of your channels are on 77" is just plain misinformation and ignorance, sorry.

OK, couldn't those people with HD Locals on 77 be moved to Eastern Arc free of charge? That way they would only need one dish. (Unless no LOS to 61.5 and 72.7)

OK, couldn't those people with HD Locals on 77 be moved to Eastern Arc free of charge? That way they would only need one dish. (Unless no LOS to 61.5 and 72.7)

If there is non VIP equipment no, but most of the time when I get sent to a 77 wing install if there is mpeg 4 equipment on the accnt only, then I modify it for eastern arc to avoid an additional dish, which is no more of a charge then whatever the wing dish install was set at. Sometimes it's scheduled free sometimes it's $15 with the service plan, I think it depends on the CSR.

Yeah I keep forgetting EA only works with MPEG-4 equipment.:eek: I was thinking that it was 2011 and that everyone had upgraded to HD by now. I had forgotten that SD/MPEG-2 still existed.:D I think that my cold or allergies had gotten into my head or something.:sick:

That is not true. Western Arc has all of the programming in many areas which is the same as what's on Eastern Arc, yes, but local HD comes off of 77. I have done many wing dish installs that are specifically for HD locals. Just because someone is on WA doesn't mean that there is nothing additional for them on 77. If they're on WA then they don't have HD locals therefore there IS something for them on 77. This is not the case everywhere of course, but in many locations it is. Claiming that there "is no way any of your channels are on 77" is just plain misinformation and ignorance, sorry.

Forget anything about 77 that someone mentioned because you are supposed to be on the WA so there is no way any of your channels are on 77.

Ok, tell me this. What markets, that Dish says to install a WA, do you have to go to 77 for HD locals? (answer -none) My answer to him was, since he is supposed to be on the WA, he will gain nothing from 77. If someone's locals are on 77, they need the EA. If they are wrongly on the WA, that is not what I addressed. Not so ignorant now, huh.
My locals in HD are only on 61.5. Obviously if I was on the WA I would be missing those, but I am not supposed to be on the WA and not what I addressed.

Last edited:
Ok, tell me this. What market, that Dish says to install a WA, do you have to go to 77 for HD locals? My answer to him was, since he is supposed to be on the WA, he will gain nothing from 77.
Davenport, IA is one, I 'm sure there are others.

But how could you say that he'd gain nothing? No sources means you were pulling it out of your ass.

After some checking http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall?=true&market=Wichita,%20KS 77 wing will add nothing given that your local sd and hd are off of 110, 119. my point originally was without checking you cannot say definitively that nothing will be gained from adding a 77 wing.

Now, after finding that your locals are not on 77, you will not gain a single thing by adding a wing dish. Amazing how you can get a definitive answer by actually looking something up instead of pulling it out of your ass.

I, like many others here most certainly do look things up before answering. So, my answer to him stands, and my answer was 100% definative, only you questioned it. He is supposed to be on the WA (yes, I looked it up, and yes I looked to be sure his HD locals were still there) and therefore will gain nothing with 77. I can't get to the ARC list at the moment, but I am having trouble believing Davinport is suposed to be set-up with a WA, and wing dish for 77.

(I got a PM, that tells me Davenport and Rock Island are supposed to be on the Eastern Arc, since the time locals were added and went to 77. In addition many converstions were done at that time to go from WA to EA. There were also some people who wanted a wing dish for 77 and got it, but that doesn't change they are supposed to be on the EA. So if true, What I said is 100% correct)

Last edited:
I, like many others here most certainly do look things up before answering. So, my answer to him stands, and my answer was 100% definative, only you questioned it. He is supposed to be on the WA (yes, I looked it up, and yes I looked to be sure his HD locals were still there) and therefore will gain nothing with 77. I can't get to the ARC list at the moment, but I am having trouble believing Davinport is suposed to be set-up with a WA, and wing dish for 77.

(I got a PM, that tells me Davenport and Rock Island are supposed to be on the Eastern Arc, since the time locals were added and went to 77. In addition many converstions were done at that time to go from WA to EA. There were also some people who wanted a wing dish for 77 and got it, but that doesn't change they are supposed to be on the EA. So if true, What I said is 100% correct)

I NEVER said that Davenport was SUPPOSED to be on WA, I said that in many cases there were situations where a wing was installed for 77. Like mixed equipment for one. Every customer (here that is) that calls in for missing HD locals, get a wing dish install per dish. NOT an EA upgrade, just a wing install. I modify all of them (the ones without mixed equipment) in order to make it an EA only install. BUT this area is NOT supposed to be on EA either, It is however supposed to be on EA if they are getting installed or upgraded with VIP equipment. And then supposed to be on WA if getting mpeg 2 equipment. So please stop pretending that you know everything.

My whole argument is this:
because you are supposed to be on the WA so there is no way any of your channels are on 77.

There IS a way that some of his channels could have been on 77 (not in his location as I previously proved) BUT in my area where many people are still on WA would benefit with a 77 dish, so some of their channels are on 77. You answered in a rude and uninformed manner, which was very non specific other than "I'm right you better listen to me because everyone else is wrong."

Mods, please lock as it's turned into a flame war and OP was solved.

I don't understand why you skip over the most important part of my responses. I clearly said in my first, original response to the OP, that you are on the correct ARC so you will not get anything from 77. That is exactly the case. You apparently took it as rude somehow, when I was trying to be clear to the OP that he did not have to worry about 77 at all. That is the whole premise of Dish trying to get everyone on one, correct ARC.
You then went on to give wrong information, based on someone not having the ARC they are supposed to be on. Of course if you are not on the ARC you are supposed to be on you could be missing something. You either misread or did not understand my answer, which is the correct answer. Sorry you took it so personally, and by the way found you had to call my response ignorant, especially when it was correct. You assumed I answered by the seat of my pants and got lucky in being right. You were wrong about that also, I looked up what ARC he should be on, and he is indeed on the correct ARC. I went a step further and double checked his HD locals were still there just to be sure.

If someone is correctly on the WA, they will not have locals - or anything else - on 77 that is not on the WA, of course, as I did mention, other than Internationals. If someone is supposed to be on the EA, they may have locals on 77. I am surprised if you are an installer, you do not know that.

Last edited:
Ok this is the last post, write what you will then go home.

What you said is he was on the right arc, that doesn't specify that there was nothing on 77, I have plenty of customers that are correctly placed on wa that gain something from 77. Obviously you didn't read my posts. It's epeen people like you that make other (more) knowledgeable people leave forums while hurting the people that need the help. Get over yourself.

Good day, sir.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts