Will all OTA subchannels be streaming or will many die?

RedPenguin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
I used to think that with the rate of cord cutting and with so many people now of days with Internet access, that virtually all OTA subchannels would switch to a dual model of streaming and broadcasting.

Yet even in a day and age where large station owners like Sinclair are kicking off big names like MeTV off their channels for their own subchannels, we see many groups like Nexstar not even attempting streaming or even online episodes like TEGNA.

Are these groups like Nexstar, Weigel, Paramount, Comcast, etc ever going to go with a FAST model like Sinclair? Will they just hope they have more room on ATSC 3.0? Will some just close up shop?

I just find it difficult to believe that continuing a model of strictly OTA & Retransmission will keep Cozi, Antenna TV, Rewind TV, etc afloat.

Why is there such a huge difference in response to the market? Sinclair and somewhat Scripps/Katz seems to be embrace streaming while TEGNA is like "episodes but no live!". Then you have Weigel which is only paid streaming services. Then you have like Nexstar that's "no streaming for us, thank you very much!".

I think the bigger question is how will local TV fare in the age of streaming? Most of the sub channels are owned by the network the local is affiliated with and show syndicated reruns. That could easily be done in a streaming platform owned by the network. Plus, do any of the brands have name recognition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the bigger question is how will local TV fare in the age of streaming? Most of the sub channels are owned by the network the local is affiliated with and show syndicated reruns. That could easily be done in a streaming platform owned by the network. Plus, do any of the brands have name recognition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot ( not all) of those sub channels only have rights to show content ( reruns) via antenna/Live TV Services.

The streaming rights are held by the Pluto like services.

Reactions: Bobby and osu1991

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)