Will be VOOMING on the 6th!

FIREBIRD81

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 21, 2005
OK, I've been watching this service for the past few months and waiting to see if they would become a good choice for my family. Honestly, the thing holdingmeback was the lack of a lot of the SD favorites, but they seem to have rectified that. So, this Wednesday, I will be getting the VaVaVoom package and dropping DISH Network.

As I've been watching this I've seen the debates going on all the different forums about this service and I have found a complete lack of any credible reason why I SHOULDN'T get Voom. Because they don't have HDNET? Sure, great channel, but it's the ONLY HD Channel D* and E* offer that is worth anything. And they have all the other channels both those services offer, plus the 21 originals, PLUS the west coast feeds of HBO and Shotime, not to mention STARZ and Cinemax. ANd I'll be getting all of this in three rooms for the same price I now pay for my measly 7 channels of HD with DISH? AND they will install an OTA antenna for locals, which for me will work great? Why the HELL would anyone be against this service???

Anyway, I'm placing my money on VOOM and I'm allowing market forces to be the determining factor. Cut all the guesses out about why it has so few subscribers and you come down to the two primary reasons VOOM is so small:

1. they lacked advertising---It's just been in the past 2 months or so that they have even started airing commercials here in L.A. You actually had to go look for them before and that's not a good marketing model for an upstart.

2. the lack of a lot of SD favorites.

Both of these issues have been resolved and their subscriber base has nearly doubled in the past couple months. They will continue growing by getting the word out and offering a great package. Everything else anyone says is pure garbage. If there was no interest in HDTV millions of HDTVs wouldn't be jumping off shelves each year. What there IS no interest in is paying more money for 5 measly channels, four of which offer new programming outside of their SD counterparts. I am convinced that if Charles keeps up what he's doing, he will make VOOM an enticing investment and funding will arrive. I'm sick and tired of waiting for the other companies to do something. Count me in to Voom, sink or swim.

Welcome I think you will be VERY pleased with Voom I had dishnetwork myself before Voom and cannot imagine going back to that company ever again.I am sure when numbers do get released it will show Voom got alot of subs the last few months anxious to see those myself.

Hey why not get in on Chucky's Voom party that is if you had nothing to lose which it seems you didn't so I say party on and enjoy it while it last's which may be long or short.
At least if they sink you will have some lovely Voom memorabilia. ;)

Firebird81:

You will enjoy VOOM immensely.

Keep in mind that the Installs people are swamped (at least in my area) with VOOM installations, so they might have to reschedule with you because of lack of all equipment from VOOM or overbooking. Third reschedule worked like a charm for me. I always scheduled my installs on a normal day off, so I didn't have to take a special day off from work.

One tip: Some HDTVs, especially the new Sony units, do not communicate properly with the VOOM box if you use the HDMI connector on the TV. You'll get an error message about a DVI conflict on your screen. Just use component output from the VOOM box to the TV component input and you'll be fine for now. As I understand it, VOOM is aware of this issue.

Now if VOOM can just get their DVR out the door and add HD network feeds and SD locals I'll be a completely happy camper and cancel Dish and Charter.

You will soon find that Voom is the best.... No question about it

Isn't voom going dark on the 31st? I have it and love it...but news is that its over for sure. At least you get a free OTA receiver.

KostaVan said:
Isn't voom going dark on the 31st? I have it and love it...but news is that its over for sure. At least you get a free OTA receiver.

Looks like it. I hope I get to keep the STB and antenna tho. I hadan indoor RCA antenna before and it sucked. BUt with VOOM's I get a 97 signal and all my locals look stunning. I'm bummed, good thing I kept E*. I was liking all the movie channels in HD. AS soon as my E* contract is up, I'll probably dump them. I've had it with Charlie the Phonie. He's not going to use the satellite to provide anything I need or want likely, so....oh well. Guess I'll enjoythe month.

The VOOM STB may or may not receive OTAs after...

KostaVan said:

the shutdown. Apparently, a special code has to be kept in place to allow continued reception of OTAs.

Still enjoying HDTV for the moment under clear Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)