will changing the place of the antenna do any good

aboali

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
hello everybody i just got voom installed last night and im not getting all my locals i live in a two floor apartment the antenna is outside my window and i live on the first floor do you think moving it to the roof will give me better results.
anycomints and advise would be greatly apreciated.

You might want to check if you haven't already, what you should be getting based upon antenna size, and in what direction the station is. In general, you should get better reception with the antenna higher up, but check at http://www.antennaweb.org and see what it says. Pay close attention to the direction and distance of the station, and the recommended antenna to receive the station. That should put you in a better position to understand what your capabilities are based upon where you live.

Good luck,

Doug

I agree with Doug. Do some homework. In general, the higher your OTA antenna the better.

Still enjoying HDTV under mostly clear (rain promised!) Seattle skies, Gill

When you go to www.antennaweb.org make sure to select digital only after you enter your address. Post the information in this thread and if you have more questions, we will gladly try to help you out from this side.

* yellow - uhf KHQ-DT 6.1 NBC SPOKANE WA 129° 7.5 15
* yellow - uhf KGPX-DT 34 PAX SPOKANE WA 01-08 123° 6.3 34
* yellow - uhf KAYU-DT 28.1 FOX SPOKANE WA 129° 7.6 30
* yellow - vhf KSPS-DT 7.1 PBS SPOKANE WA 131° 7.7 8
* yellow - uhf KREM-DT 2.1 CBS SPOKANE WA 125° 6.7 20
* green - vhf KXLY-DT 4.1 ABC SPOKANE WA 19° 21.4 13
* lt green - uhf KCDT-DT 26.1 PBS COEUR D ALENE ID 65° 30.8 45
* violet - uhf KSKN-DT 22.1 WB SPOKANE WA 125°
6.7 36

hopfuly you guys can understand this if not let me know
curently i get NBC FOX PBS CBS. the signal for CBS isnt that good now it cuts out alot now and then. and i dont get WB ABC and PAX

i am really locking forword to your advise speacially that the installer didnt even want to try instaling voom for me he told me i woldint get a signal but i insisted and made him do it and guess what my signal is at 96 and hasind changed ones. so to all the people that the instalers are telling it wont work dont beleive them tell you see it with your own eyes.

aboali, note the directions (125 degrees, etc) and distances. NBC, FOX, and PBS are all broadcast from the same set of towers. CBS and PAX come from another set of towers. Receiving PAX is probably a matter of a minor adjustment of the antenna. ABC is broadcast from a completely different direction- neither the stealth nor the sensar antennas will pick this up, unfortunately (although the sensar is bidirectional, this station is coming from just the wrong angle). WB is on the same tower as CBS, but since it is listed in the violet range, I suspect they are broadcasting at very low power- that should change as the station becomes more popular in your area. Final analysis: If you want PAX and ABC, ask Voom to upgrade your antenna to an omni-directional antenna rated for the lt green range (to be safe), and make sure the installer spends the time to adjust it for all channels- even an omni-directional antenna needs to be placed just right. If you want WB, try it during primetime hours (I'm sure they increase the output then) and be patient.

Did you have the right antenna installed for your area? Which antenna did Voom install for you? They normally install the Channelmaster Stealth which looks like a wing.

yes mine looks like a wing so i guess its the channelmaster stealth
would they charge me for the omni-directional antenna rated for the green range

i will call them and let you guys know about the results.
thank you so much for your help and keep it up you keep the people confident in voom

i called voom last night and they are going to send me an upgraded antenna.
today i got a call from the person that installed my voom asking me why i wanted to upgrade i told him its mainly becouse i dont get channel 4 and becouse the signal isnt strong enough. he told me that just installed voom at a house close from mine and they also dont get channel 4. and guess what i desided to reach out my window and mess with the antenna and boom next thing you know i got channel 4. i am so mad that he had the nerve to call and act like he knows what he is doing when he really does not i just wonder how many people are getting bad installers geving them a bad inpresian about voom. when voom is not the one to blame.

That is very unfortunate. I will call him back and tell him what you did or call VOOM and ask for another installer.

I myself did not bother with them and did my own installation (I bought my own stuff). This is just me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts