Will D* Use Some of the Additional Bandwidth for More SD Channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Those of us who don't have HD sets might want more SD channels, such as CNN International.

I have HD but I still would very much like to see the addition of CNN International and, even better, BBC World. As I've said before, Directv is quite lacking when it comes to good sources of international news. If they can have umpteen sport channels, why can't they offer at least one good international news source such as BBC World??? It's been available through Discovery distribution for a long time now.

I have two thoughts on this:

1. While I'm sure there are people out there who want more SD channels, and I don't begrudge you that, I think you have to face the fact that you're in the minority (not in terms of number of subscribers, but in terms of those who are actively clamoring for more/different SD channels) at this point, that things are moving toward digital/HD TV whether you like it or not (been in a Best Buy or Circuit City lately?) and, more importantly (at least from D*'s standpoint), HD and DVR is where they think they are going to make their money in the next few years, and early indications are that they're right.

2. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not as up on the technical side of things, at least with SD: Can they change over the SD channels from MPEG2 to MPEG4 to save bandwidth, improve PQ and/or add channels? Yes, I realize everyone with standard boxes would probably have to change them out.... honestly, I'm not even sure MPEG2/MPEG4 comes into the equation with SD, but it's a thought.

I have two thoughts on this:

1. While I'm sure there are people out there who want more SD channels, and I don't begrudge you that, I think you have to face the fact that you're in the minority (not in terms of number of subscribers, but in terms of those who are actively clamoring for more/different SD channels) at this point, that things are moving toward digital/HD TV whether you like it or not (been in a Best Buy or Circuit City lately?) and, more importantly (at least from D*'s standpoint), HD and DVR is where they think they are going to make their money in the next few years, and early indications are that they're right.

2. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not as up on the technical side of things, at least with SD: Can they change over the SD channels from MPEG2 to MPEG4 to save bandwidth, improve PQ and/or add channels? Yes, I realize everyone with standard boxes would probably have to change them out.... honestly, I'm not even sure MPEG2/MPEG4 comes into the equation with SD, but it's a thought.

In response to thought #2....yes, SD channels can be changed to MPEG4 and would save bandwith and hopefully deliver picture quality superior to the over-compressed mess that most of the SD is at the moment. MPEG2/MPEG4 are compression schemes that can be used with any digital material. Since a great deal of TV programming will remain SD for a long time to come, all program suppliers should attempt to deliver the best quality SD possible for optimum viewing on both analog and digital TV receivers. Properly handled SD can look quite good on a digital system....one example to check this out is the studio portion of TWC-HD.

It owuld be nice since there are probably....oh I dont know...maybe about 12 million or so of us? I guess Directv doesnt think we are important though only those 3 or 4 million with hdtv sets should be catered to the rest of us can go and take a long walk off a short peir in their view. Dont get me wrong though...I am glad that people who can affortd and have Hd got new channels but I am sick of seeing it under every forum. Cant us regular people have a forum as well without telling me everday how bad my SD sucks? I like my SD...it looks good to me and I dont have 3000 dollars to spend on a hd tv with 10 billion mirrors in it and displays pictures in 1080xyz. Anyway sorry about the rant but HD guys please dont make us feel bad because we dont have HD.

Do you have $500 for an HD TV? Nobody said you had to have a $3000 big screen. What is wrong with a normal sized HD set for $500? They exist. Just check this weeks Office Depot circular. You could also buy a used HD set. I am getting ready to sell my first generation 32 inch living room TV (I have two HD sets) and get a newer set. I'll probably sell this old unit for $200-$300. It won't do you any good unless you live in or around Tampa FL but check your local paper. It is false to think you have to spend $3K on an HD set. My 47" Sony is excellent and was only around $1300.

HD is the future and DirecTV knows it.

Having that said, I can't help but notice that DirecTV is missing a lot of the multichannels of HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime. Between HBO/Max I get 26 multichannels in standard def. I am not sure if DirecTV users have even heard of Outermax, @max, Wmax, HBO Zone, etc.... Showtime Beoynd.. and so forth. There are lots of standard def channels they could add.

It owuld be nice since there are probably....oh I dont know...maybe about 12 million or so of us? I guess Directv doesnt think we are important though only those 3 or 4 million with hdtv sets should be catered to the rest of us can go and take a long walk off a short peir in their view. Dont get me wrong though...I am glad that people who can affortd and have Hd got new channels but I am sick of seeing it under every forum. Cant us regular people have a forum as well without telling me everday how bad my SD sucks? I like my SD...it looks good to me and I dont have 3000 dollars to spend on a hd tv with 10 billion mirrors in it and displays pictures in 1080xyz. Anyway sorry about the rant but HD guys please dont make us feel bad because we dont have HD.
I honestly don't think that is the right ratio 12million-3million. I think there are a lot more people than that who own HD sets. Plus keep your eye out there, prices are going down everyday, especially with the holidays coming out. After you get one then, you will be very happy..:rolleyes:

I honestly don't think that is the right ratio 12million-3million. I think there are a lot more people than that who own HD sets. Plus keep your eye out there, prices are going down everyday, especially with the holidays coming out. After you get one then, you will be very happy..:rolleyes:

Even so, he quotes a 4 to 1 ratio of sd to hd users yet the channels are skewed 10 to 1 in favor of sd,,,,, so who has been being catered to?

Even so, he quotes a 4 to 1 ratio of sd to hd users yet the channels are skewed 10 to 1 in favor of sd,,,,, so who has been being catered to?

It's called progress.

There was also a day when DVD movies were getting released in greater numbers than VHS tapes while there were more VCRs than DVD players.

Getting from point A (few HD subscribers compared to SD subscribers) to point B (a greater number of HD subscribers than SD subscribers) requires this transition.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)