Will Direct Tv let you do your own installation?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

abooch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
We want to complete our own installation. Will we need to pay for everything or will direct send us what we need like the dish and such?

If you want to go through them or any other "new user / freebie" promo they will do the install. If you want to buy all you hardware upfront from a retailer then you should be able to do it.

What if you dont like what they are doing and you don't want to go with Direct. Could you send them away without having to pay any fees? I have a SWM LNB and will not be getting Direct Tv if that cannot be installed. We dont want anymore than one hole drilled into the house and want to use the exsisting wiring

What if you dont like what they are doing and you don't want to go with Direct. Could you send them away without having to pay any fees? I have a SWM LNB and will not be getting Direct Tv if that cannot be installed. We dont want anymore than one hole drilled into the house and want to use the exsisting wiring

Then cancel the install and go with another provider. You're only charged if your account is activated.

If you explain the situation in more detail, then better advice can be given.

To answer your question, no, DTV will not let you do your own install. You can go purchase all the equipment, install it yourself, and then let DTV come in and hook up the receivers.

You CAN get them to comp you on receivers you buy somewhere else, at least if you are an existing customer. (they did this with me on BOTH my HR20's) I just simply explained that my system was a very customized HT installation & that I do NOT let other techs mess with it!
They comp'd me $200 each time, plus threw in some premiums FREE for 3 months...

I believe that all the installer needs to do is activate the service & most would be more than happy if you do all the work. I've done the majority of my own work over the years & only ran into problems with the AT9. Since it was rather complicated I figured I'd have the installer mount it but he wouldn't mount it on my chimney. He wasn't a jerk, just being honest about the weight/size & what the wind would do. He installed a temporary non-penetrating roof mount & activated the receivers leaving me the J-mount to install on my chimney. He left me his cell number to have him permanently install/aim the dish when I had the chimney mount completed. The protection plan wouldn't cover my dish if I purchased it.

I know D* still does send equipment out, I have gone to a few customers installs where there was a self-install kit sitting in a box in the living room, but they did not want to do the install themselves and this was a ka/ku system. So I do know that D* will send you the stuff and I believe they have the option in their online ordering system. They do state that if you install it and have issues where a tech needs to come out, you pay for it. PP will only cover the receivers, not parts of the install.

So IMO ask if the D* CSR if SWM is available in your area, and to have your work order flagged as such. Then get the HSP # the account went to and make sure they send out a tech that knows how to set up a SWM system. You have the full right to dictate how you want it installed, but for pole/non-pen mounts there may be some extra costs involved.

I know in our area any work order with a HDDVR and no 110/119 programming, we are using SWM3 LNB's and soon any DVR work order will be going that route. But yes you can toss the tech on the street, but he will (At least I will) remove anything I installed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)