Will DirectTV work???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smcandrews

Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Hey guys, 1st time poster. Board looks pretty cool and seems like you have a great community here.

Anyways, here is my situation. I used to be a Devoted DirectTV customer living in DC for years, up until 4 years ago when I moved to NYC. The major interest I had was for the Football package. I was tremendously depressed that I had to settle for Time Warner Cable and their communist regime here in the city ;) My apt. building would not allow anything to be mounted or even on your windowsill.

Anyways, I got to thinking....I have a direct View of Southwest without any obstructions. Would it be possible to place the satellite on a tripod right next to the window (30" L x 24" H). I don't want it to be a permanent fixture in my apt., however I do want to be able to put it up each Sunday for football and take it down that same day. In addition, couple other things to note:

• my building management will not allow these Direct TV folks in the building
  • I currently have bought the latest HD/DVR Direct TV receiver (still in box)
  • I currently have a 3 LNB being shipped, however I was told today that is not right model for my receiver
  • I don't have an active Direct TV account....waiting to set this up when I get all of the equipment
I had a couple of questions though that I am perplexed at:

1) Will this scenario work...I have added a few pics to show you what my apt. window and view looks like. WILL THE SATELLITE BE ABLE TO RECEIVE SIGNALS THROUGH GLASS OR WILL I NEED TO HAVE WINDOW OPEN.

2) I don't have the Satellite yet, as I think I ordered the wrong one. Currently have a 3 LNB being shipped, however Direct TV said I need to have 5 LNB. Is this indeed the case or are they trying to upsell me?

3) Should I get any other equipment (Satellite Finder, Tripod)...keep reading that many have this? Also, can anyone recommend the proper tripod if I can actually go that route. Some people were telling me that you need to be careful that the 5 LNB can fit...I guess not every Satellite fits into the tripod.

4) Should I look into something called a Slingshot. Apparently, it feeds off of other peoples lines through a computer and then out. I have no idea, however someone told me about it? How hard is it to do this?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and possibly help. If this doesn't work out, I will just take equipment back and watch crappy local games. UGH!!!

Attachments

• view from afar_DirectTV Sat where box is on 3rd window.JPG
    view from afar_DirectTV Sat where box is on 3rd window.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 263
  • SouthWest view with no obstructions.JPG
    SouthWest view with no obstructions.JPG
    853.9 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
1.) I've seen some crazy indoor setups posted on this forum. I can't say yay or nay until you try it.

2.) If you are expecting to get HD, you need the 5 LNB satellite.

3.) You will at least need a compass in order to find the satellites. As for the tripod question it will depend on the dish you need. Many people buy a tripod from Radio Shack, or from Sadoun (Gold Sponsor at the top of the page)

4.) IMHO you probably won't need the Slingshot. This would be used to view your own programming through the Internet. If you plan on making the setup permanent and would like to watch it while away, it's a great option.

Good Luck and :welcome

I don't know how long you've had the receiver, but I think if it is not activated within 90 days (or some similar time frame,), they bill you full price for it--about $700.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts