Will DirecTV Carry The CW?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Craiger1

Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
Hi. Will DirecTV carry The CW in HD when it starts this Fall? I don't like alot of The CW shows except for Smallville. Thanks, Craig.

It's expected that D will pick up the CW in the markets that will be carrying the station. There are still alot of markets that the CW has yet to get a committment from. Now, whether D will be broadcasting it in HD or not is a different question. I would say probably not since they do not carry UPN in HD. The locals they are putting up on HD now are just the big 4.

I'm thinking that D* will do so in the fall also, I'm sure that their waiting now for things to be figured out, etc.

Will they carry the CW? Yes. In markets that currently have WB Miami or WB San Diego..these markets will get the CW.

Now if you currently have WB and nobody has signed on yet...well, then we don't know :)

I really think the OP was specifically talking the HD LIL version of said network; as opposed to the big-4 networks that are currently the only HD networks upped.

Iceberg said:
Will they carry the CW? Yes. In markets that currently have WB Miami or WB San Diego..these markets will get the CW.

Now if you currently have WB and nobody has signed on yet...well, then we don't know :)

Unfortunately it's not in HD and probably never will be at the rate D* is going. San Diego is still missing FOXHD. 2007 is not coming soon enough!!

90% or more of the cards are in the hands of the BIG4 affiliates; its all about $$$$ that the affiliates THINKS they are worth. As far as indys and other networks, it remains to be seen if they will ever be added to DBS retransmission.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
90% or more of the cards are in the hands of the BIG4 affiliates; its all about $$$$ that the affiliates THINKS they are worth. As far as indys and other networks, it remains to be seen if they will ever be added to DBS retransmission.

Ahh, This is what I found on our Local FOX website.

FAQ's About Satellite Reception of Fox 6

Can I receive Fox 6's HDTV signals via satellite?
Neither DirecTV nor Dish Network offer local HDTV channels via satellite.

May I get a waiver so that I can watch Fox HDTV via DirecTV?
No. Sorry.

Those network signals on DirecTV are carried solely to service viewers in areas where their local network affiliate is also owned and operated by the network. New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Salt Lake City, and Denver are among those cities. San Diego is not.

Fox 6 is the owner of a contract with the Fox TV Network to be the sole franchisee of their video product in San Diego County and greater Tijuana. Just as your restaurant may not be too keen on you bringing in your own steak dinner, we don't care to share our advertising revenue with Los Angeles and New York TV stations.

We truly realize that sometimes this conflicts with viewer choice and convenience. We hope that you realize that a network is only as strong as its affiliates, and the affiliates are only as strong as their viewer base. Unlike most cable and satellite channels, our income is derived solely from advertising. If our viewers aren't watching us, advertisers aren't buying ads, then we aren't in business, then the network isn't in business.

There are signs this model may change in the distant future, but for now it's all we have.

DirecTV says it plans to carry local HDTV locals eventually, so if you're in a poor reception area, there's hope. The Dish Network hasn't announced any such plans yet

vgsantiago said:
Fox 6 is the owner of a contract with the Fox TV Network to be the sole franchisee of their video product in San Diego County and greater Tijuana. Just as your restaurant may not be too keen on you bringing in your own steak dinner, we don't care to share our advertising revenue with Los Angeles and New York TV stations.

This is SUCH BS; at least if I want steak I am 110% allowed to get it from anywhere I want based on quality, service and MY CHOICE; not matter how far or where I DECIDE to go. They model is to FORCE users to always eat from the same place.

LOL! Their own comments shoot themselves in the foot. The DMA sysytem is so arcain and outdated and now WRONG! It is the protection of illegal monopoly.

They are WRONG! Its the affiliates that can't survive without the network, BUT the networks can & will surivive without local affiliates. They can provide their own and better advertising and provide network only signals to all providers via 5 - 6 time zone offerings; all availible to be used by users at a cost. The local TV channels need to worry about LOCAL and stop riding network coat tails and creating all this red tape crap. Let them provide and obtain their own ads and programming for local issues and needs.

We truly realize that sometimes this conflicts with viewer choice and convenience.

EXACTLY! they DO NOT CARE about the consumer at all, only THEIR POCKET!

Last edited:
I envy the fact they didn't use too much political and technical jargon.

If I may paraphrase "San Diego D* & E* consumers, you're screwed!!!"

vgsantiago said:
I envy the fact they didn't use too much political and technical jargon. If I may paraphrase "San Diego D* & E* consumers, you're screwed!!!"

Funny! I agree with you, they just flat came out and said it, we don't care; too classic.

Craiger1 said:
Hi. Will DirecTV carry The CW in HD when it starts this Fall? I don't like alot of The CW shows except for Smallville. Thanks, Craig.

In some markets the CW affiliate will be a DTV subchannel and not a full power station. So far, DTV subchannels are not included in any LiL packages.

vgsantiago said:
I know this was about CW, but this FOX guy is hilarious. Here is a link to his entire FAQ section. Enjoy!! Oh yeah, feel free to send him your feedback:hungry:

Thanks, I liked this FAQ.

About Other Fox 6 Technical Questions

Why am I hearing your broadcast in Spanish? Why do I hear a tone instead of my program?

You heard a tone, or a program in Spanish language, because your child pulled a prank on you and changed the audio mode on your TV to "SAP." If you have no children, then you should watch more carefully where you sit next time--your remote control is not a seat cushion. The Second Audio Program channel is used by Fox for Spanish language. You can fix this by using your remote control. Press the MENU button, find the AUDIO mode, and change it back to NORMAL or STEREO from SAP. Our master control staff purposely puts tone on the SAP to make it so annoying that you will run to your TV instruction manual to figure out how to change the audio mode back to normal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)