Will DirecTV carry the Olympics in UHD HDR & Dolby Atmos?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
It looks like NBC will be providing a 4k feed this year. I am super excited to see Atmos involved, and would like to see this be added to Cinema 4k PPV with the 7.1 surround we already get.

In a potential first for a major sporting event, NBC Olympics also announced it would make the opening ceremonies available for distributors in high dynamic range (HDR) and Dolby Atmos, the next-gen, object-based sound technology.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/technology/nbc-announces-4k-plans-rio-olympics/156867

Reactions: dfergie
For some reason I thought the H3 was the only one that did 2160p AND HDR, where Directv was just 2160p. Not sure though. HDR is a crap storm right now though, trust me. It'll be a couple of years before HDR and wider color are actually accurate.

I know it supports atmos, not sure about hdr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I think Directv may be testing HDR out. I know that they were considering it when doing MLB but opted to not do it as it would have thrown another wrench into the things. They wanted to get 4k right first before adding in another element. I wouldn't count HDR out of the picture... Pun intended! LOL

What is the list of channels that the Olympics will be on in the USA?

I know these:
NBC
NBCSN
USA
Telemundo... there must be others like with NHL.

Not sure what Dolby Atmos would add to an olympic broadcast.
Atmos is about more than just the height channels.

It puts sounds in spots around you (object based) and lets your receiver process them and apply them to your speaker layout. Sounds will play out of multiple speakers, at different levels to allow better 360 degree directionality of the sound.

How this is applied to a live, multi-camera broadcast of an opening/ closing ceremony is anyones guess.

In a movie, you can obviously get REALLY specific when mastering the audio. In a live event? I feel like you'd need an array of microphones for every camera to attempt this.

Atmos is about more than just the height channels.

It puts sounds in spots around you (object based) and lets your receiver process them and apply them to your speaker layout. Sounds will play out of multiple speakers, at different levels to allow better 360 degree directionality of the sound.

How this is applied to a live, multi-camera broadcast of an opening/ closing ceremony is anyones guess.

In a movie, you can obviously get REALLY specific when mastering the audio. In a live event? I feel like you'd need an array of microphones for every camera to attempt this.

This would not be hard at all to do an array of microphones. This is already done during some sporting events like hockey. I could actually see the benefit it would add during the presentation of the opening and closing ceremonies. Also, Atmos is about speaker placement. DTS X is more object based. Atmos specification says how and where you have to place speakers and you can't just place them anywhere. With Atmos you must have overheads or up firing speakers placed at certain positions. With DTSX that is not the case.

It looks like NBC will be providing a 4k feed this year. I am super excited to see Atmos involved, and would like to see this be added to Cinema 4k PPV with the 7.1 surround we already get.

Direct provides 4K & 7.1 surround? Is this just for PPV or other channels as well? I have been a Dish customer for about 12 years and am really getting tired of the constant programming wars..........all in the name of saving the consumer $. I have the Hopper w/sling + wireless joey and really like the equipment........does Direct have basically the same type of set up?

Not unless they just recently added it. Sound has never been 7.1 with them.

And no, the directv equipment is no nearly as refined or modern as the Hopper series from Dish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)