Will Directv Installer do this?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
As with alot Dishnetwork Subscribers I am frustrated with their constant channel drops due to disputes.So I have looked around to save money and I found a Great offer with Verizon Triple play,I have internet and Phone service,long distance also )for 59.00 a month(the fastest internet without FIOS) and Verizon has been offering me Directv for 20.00 more per month with Bundled package.Now I am sure there are some extra costs with HD and DVR receiver,but still a good offer.
Anyway if I decide to go with Directv will the installer take down my Dish equipment and place directv Dish in its place.I have a bracket that is made not to attach to roof but to the side of Apartment(landlord required).Before auctually committing to Directv I need for someone to come out and see if this can be done.How do I go about this..
Also anyone do the Triple play with Verizon,any issues??With the triple play I will be saving 75.00 a month for 2 years.To me thats a good chunk of money to save ..Also plan on tipping Installer>>

I tipped my installer and made a Starbucks run - it was a really cold day - and they removed my Dish dishes from the roof. They left the brackets so as not to create a leak in the roof, but not sure how the side brackets work.

andyin137 said:
As with alot Dishnetwork Subscribers I am frustrated with their constant channel drops due to disputes.So I have looked around to save money and I found a Great offer with Verizon Triple play,I have internet and Phone service,long distance also )for 59.00 a month(the fastest internet without FIOS) and Verizon has been offering me Directv for 20.00 more per month with Bundled package.Now I am sure there are some extra costs with HD and DVR receiver,but still a good offer.
Anyway if I decide to go with Directv will the installer take down my Dish equipment and place directv Dish in its place.I have a bracket that is made not to attach to roof but to the side of Apartment(landlord required).Before auctually committing to Directv I need for someone to come out and see if this can be done.How do I go about this..
Also anyone do the Triple play with Verizon,any issues??With the triple play I will be saving 75.00 a month for 2 years.To me thats a good chunk of money to save ..Also plan on tipping Installer>>

Unlikely. The foot plates won't match up. Dish still uses the smaller bracket where directv has switch to a universal mast. 2 inches mast for ALL directv dishes so odds are the installer would need to install a new mast and all

directv has switch to a universal mast. 2 inches mast for ALL directv dishes so odds are the installer would need to install a new mast and all

That is ONLY true on the HD slimline dishes; the 18" round & oval 3LNB dishes use the SAME 1 5/8 mast DISH uses.
And yes, D* STILL installs these kind of dishes for SD-only subs, in non-MPEG4 locals markets.

dishrich said:
That is ONLY true on the HD slimline dishes; the 18" round & oval 3LNB dishes use the SAME 1 5/8 mast DISH uses.
And yes, D* STILL installs these kind of dishes for SD-only subs, in non-MPEG4 locals markets.

Nope, all dishes require the 2 inch mast now. Have for awhile. We randomly get the 1 5/8 dishes ONCE a year but all others are 2 inch now

Nope, all dishes require the 2 inch mast now.

OK, you DO realize this doesn't even make a lick of sense! The 18" & 3LNB oval dishes do NOT take 2" masts, period!

Have for awhile. We randomly get the 1 5/8 dishes ONCE a year but all others are 2 inch now

So are you (really) saying you ONLY are getting & putting in Slimline dishes then? Are you in an MPEG4 locals market; if so, then THAT would explain things then.

Sorry, but I can 100% GUARANTEE you D* STILL installs many a 18"/3LNB oval dishes to this day, as NOT everyone gets HD service. Maybe not in YOUR DMA, but there are plenty of 101/119 local markets where they do NOT give everyone a slimline dish.

dishrich,
FWIW, the OP did mention HD, therefore we are to expect that he will be getting HD, and that would require the 2" Slimline mast that Hutch mentioned.

OK, you DO realize this doesn't even make a lick of sense! The 18" & 3LNB oval dishes do NOT take 2" masts, period!

dishrich - Directv has changed to 18x20 phase 3 dishes to a 2" mast connection now. I'm not sure about the single 18" dish, but I do know that any new inventory of the 18x20 are 2" now.

In addition to what has been said....

There is the required landlord permission, in writing, PLZ! Contractors have their custom cost schedule...DirecTV employees have another. Find out which flavor of installer you have: self employed contractor or DirecTV employee.

The mount you mentioned may or may not be compatible with the DirecTV mast. + After the mast mount is resolved you can use all the DISH cable. Insist on this.

Should work for you. While the tech is required to do new surface cable runs...If you cable run is sufficient for you do not let them rip out the old cable to tack new cable to your baseboards.

While tips are nice....lunch is better. Food in convenience stores and fast food sucks. If you can offer a meal, that will save the tech time for a junk food stop....just a thought.

Joe

dishrich said:

So are you (really) saying you ONLY are getting & putting in Slimline dishes then? Are you in an MPEG4 locals market; if so, then THAT would explain things then.

Sorry, but I can 100% GUARANTEE you D* STILL installs many a 18"/3LNB oval dishes to this day, as NOT everyone gets HD service. Maybe not in YOUR DMA, but there are plenty of 101/119 local markets where they do NOT give everyone a slimline dish.

Nope, I still see 18's and 18X20's. Like said, Directv uses a universal mast that is 2 inches. The old 1 5/8 are rarely used If at all. Even the international uses the same mast. This makes complete sense :)

^yup.. if the Dish and DTV masts were compatible then techs wouldn't have to put the new mast up all the time.. with an existing roof mount i wouldn't worry too much about written permission because your new dish would be non penetrating. if they have an MDU account there thats another story. or u could tell the tech to be really grimey and just duct tape the crap out of the old mast til the dtv back assembly tightens over it lol.

mag1999 said:
^yup.. if the Dish and DTV masts were compatible then techs wouldn't have to put the new mast up all the time.. with an existing roof mount i wouldn't worry too much about written permission because your new dish would be non penetrating. if they have an MDU account there thats another story. or u could tell the tech to be really grimey and just duct tape the crap out of the old mast til the dtv back assembly tightens over it lol.

You're kidding right? Duct tape the past to fit the new dish? That's a service call waiting to happen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)