Will DirecTV make HD programming "standard" (no extra cost)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I received a email from Directv saying August 14, they will have more HD channels. So whats that gonna cost ? $10 for the first HD pack, $5 for the HD extra pack, then what ? An additional $5 for the HD extra extra pack ? I only have the original HD pack, not the extra pack, and if they raise the rates, I'll never get them. I'd rather pay one fee rather than 2 or more. Mark my words - eventually, there wont be a hD fee, it will be included in your bill just like the local channel option.

I received a email from Directv saying August 14, they will have more HD channels. So whats that gonna cost ? $10 for the first HD pack, $5 for the HD extra pack, then what ? An additional $5 for the HD extra extra pack ? I only have the original HD pack, not the extra pack, and if they raise the rates, I'll never get them. I'd rather pay one fee rather than 2 or more. Mark my words - eventually, there wont be a hD fee, it will be included in your bill just like the local channel option.

The channels we get tomorrow won't add anything to the bill because they are PPVs, RSNs, Premiums, or HD versions of the channels we already get.

But I think you are right as far as no separate HD fee is concerned. Someday it will be like adding a "Color TV" fee to your bill would be today.

DirecTV just came out with a new SD DVR...so not all new subs are going to have to get HD. But...as for whether they'll ever drop the HD fees...maybe, but the price won't drop. There is no way that DirecTV is going to be able to sell dropping its fees by 15% to Wall Street.

The ARPU will be going up over the next three years not down. I think the target is $100.

As for HD being standard; all the local broadcast stations in my area have multiple HD channels.

If that is the case, then I feel bad for you because your HD quality is horrible.

That being said, I find it highly unlikely that they have multiple HD channels, they have multiple digital channels. There is a big difference between HD and digital.

In 2009 all stations must be digital, HD has nothing to do with it.

I think you misunderstood me. DIRECTV REQUIRES all hd receivers charge a 9.99 TECH fee in order to operate them. THis means that if all new receivers are hd only , that the subs will all be charged 9.99 more than the subs with sd receivers. This means that either Directv will hike the price of all programming by 9.99 or they will charge all subs 9.99 . Either way you will pay it if you are a new sub in the future.

Mike:

I have one of DirecTV's DVRs of the future the R22-100.While on the outside the R22-100 looks similar to the HR21-100(the color is matt black not piano black) there are differences between the two_One being DirecTV doesn't charge me the $9.99 HD fee because the R22-100 is not an HD DVR receiver it's an SD DVR.;)

The new standard will be digital not high definition and there is a big diference though for atleast the next 5 - 8 years the majority of people arent going to care about hd.

Last time I checked, the locals will all be in HD save a small handful because the majors have made the desicion to provide their digital programing in one HD format or another. They won't be simulcasting SD, they'll be offering side bars and top and bottom bars. When the analog feed goes bye bye, people looking at top and bottom bars will care. The rest of us that have transitioned will tollerate the side bars until it all goes HD.

Mike:

I have one of DirecTV's DVRs of the future the R22-100.While on the outside the R22-100 looks similar to the HR21-100(the color is matt black not piano black) there are differences between the two_One being DirecTV doesn't charge me the $9.99 HD fee because the R22-100 is not an HD DVR receiver it's an SD DVR.;)

So it is an mpeg 4 sd dvr? THen that would get around the 9.99 tech fee .

I am STILL quite p-o'd at their pulling several HD channels from the $9.99 HD package & then offering them at an extra $4.99. When I called to complain, the "customer retention" dept. threw me a crumb and offered me a programming credit for a while. How magnanimous of them!

I am STILL quite p-o'd at their pulling several HD channels from the $9.99 HD package & then offering them at an extra $4.99. When I called to complain, the "customer retention" dept. threw me a crumb and offered me a programming credit for a while. How magnanimous of them!

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but every choice does it. Directv, Dish, and around here, Mediacom does it. They all have a package that costs more and contains a handful of HD channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)