Will dish activate used 921-942 off ebay

Iceberg said:
isnt the 811 and 942 cardless? (built in)
I thought the same thing but because several people asked me about the card, I decided to research a little and found the cards on the 811 and 921. Don't know about the 942 though.

sA :: Shaggy said:
they will but only as a SD receiver. because they cannot receive mpeg4 channels. and soon they all will be mpeg4. (i got that info from the CEO office)

This is not true. They just won't activate the old HD pack, if you already didn't subscribe to it. You can still receive the HD OTA, HBO & Showtime HD and you might even be able to subscribe to the new metal paks, but you can't get all of the channels. Where are you getting your info from?

This is to the original thread starter. Why instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a 921 or a 942 that is outdated and won't pick up all the channels, why don't you just spend a little more and buy a new 622 or lease one for probably less than what you will pay for the 921? Why buy something that isn't going to be getting all of the channels that you will be having to pay for anyway?

BrettTRay said:
This is to the original thread starter. Why instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a 921 or a 942 that is outdated and won't pick up all the channels, why don't you just spend a little more and buy a new 622 or lease one for probably less than what you will pay for the 921? Why buy something that isn't going to be getting all of the channels that you will be having to pay for anyway?
Not the original poster, but I bought a 942 off ebay last night. I currently subscribe to the old $10/month HD package with my 921. I really don't watch those channels so I may even cancel that package after activating the 942. Nearly all my HD viewing is OTA.

Do you need to be subscribed to Dish for the DVR functions to work for OTA HD only on the 921/942? I recently cancelled DISH, but as long as I'm connected to my satellite dish, I can still get OTA with my 811. If I had a 921/942, would I then be able to record?

BrettTRay said:

Because, no matter your current situation, if you buy a 622, you will incur a minimum of a $10/month billing increase, and if you lease it will be a minimum of a $15/month billing increase. If you didn't already have the old HDPak, add another $10/month minimum to those billing increases. All for what, so you can see ESPN2-HD and a bunch of VOOM channels you won't watch after the first few weeks.

If one can get a good deal on a legit 942 and get the old HDPak, one is money ahead of E*'s attempt at a hidden, massive, rate increase.

Carl B said:
Because, no matter your current situation, if you buy a 622, you will incur a minimum of a $10/month billing increase, and if you lease it will be a minimum of a $15/month billing increase. If you didn't already have the old HDPak, add another $10/month minimum to those billing increases. All for what, so you can see ESPN2-HD and a bunch of VOOM channels you won't watch after the first few weeks.

If one can get a good deal on a legit 942 and get the old HDPak, one is money ahead of E*'s attempt at a hidden, massive, rate increase.

I think the long term bet would be to buy a 211 and add it to an account that has the old hd pack, that way they shouldn't cut you off when they actually convert to mpeg4 if ever.

The rate increase is not a minimum of $10, it is a minimum of $5. If someone has a 942 with AT60, HD Pak, and VOOM under the old plan then they are paying $45/month. With a 622, the minimum is HD Bronze at $50/month. For the extra $5 you get another 7 HD channels. Within a few months Dish is expected to add another 3-4 HD channels to the new packages.

It definitely is a rate increase, a 33% one for HD + VOOM subs, a 100% increase for HD Pak only subs.

It's too bad Dish charges the $6 access fee, or else the $29.99 HD Standalone package would be attractive.

From my perspective, the new plans will work out to a rate decrease. I find that I am watching less and less SD programming, so I'm dropping down from AT180 to AT120 and dropping a couple of the premium movie packages too. May drop to AT60 soon. Let's say Dish starts offering Starz HD. One could sub to HD Bronze plus the HBO/Starz combo for $70/month. You'd get every HD channel except for Showtime, which you could add for another $8/month if you feel it is worth it.

This combo will have about 26 HD channels by this summer. I also get 6 local HD OTA channels. So that would make 32 HD channels, with most of the popular SD channels plus all of the HBO & Starz SD (and HD) channels for $70. Along with all of the public access channels and Sirius. This isn't too bad.

If you had AEP+HD+VOOM+Locals and switch to HD Plat+Locals your bill goes up by 1 cent. They wanted the 99.99 for the HD Plat without locals.

iceshark said:
I just talked to a lead CSR and she told me that if you are a CURRENT dish network customer and have never had HD and purchase and HD receiver of any kind if it is clear of past due that they will still infact activate it for the OLD HD package. She said they were told they could not back in Feb but now for a LIMITED time that she does not know about the end date, you can in fact add the old HD package to a clear used HD receiver.

Sound like they got enough complaints.

Well, I just called DISH and they refused to activate the old HD pak onto my 942 I purchased off of EBay. I am an existing customer, the 942 was activated (free and clear of past fees) and never have had the HD pak. So if anyone gets them to activate the old HD pak, please get a name of the CSR, or lead CSR or Supervisor. I think I will send an email to the CEO address and see if I can get any response there.

PEP

Tom Bombadil said:
The rate increase is not a minimum of $10, it is a minimum of $5. If someone has a 942 with AT60, HD Pak, and VOOM under the old plan then they are paying $45/month. With a 622, the minimum is HD Bronze at $50/month. For the extra $5 you get another 7 HD channels. Within a few months Dish is expected to add another 3-4 HD channels to the new packages.

It definitely is a rate increase, a 33% one for HD + VOOM subs, a 100% increase for HD Pak only subs.

It's too bad Dish charges the $6 access fee, or else the $29.99 HD Standalone package would be attractive.

From my perspective, the new plans will work out to a rate decrease. I find that I am watching less and less SD programming, so I'm dropping down from AT180 to AT120 and dropping a couple of the premium movie packages too. May drop to AT60 soon. Let's say Dish starts offering Starz HD. One could sub to HD Bronze plus the HBO/Starz combo for $70/month. You'd get every HD channel except for Showtime, which you could add for another $8/month if you feel it is worth it.

This combo will have about 26 HD channels by this summer. I also get 6 local HD OTA channels. So that would make 32 HD channels, with most of the popular SD channels plus all of the HBO & Starz SD (and HD) channels for $70. Along with all of the public access channels and Sirius. This isn't too bad.

Your assumption is that many already are paying $5 for VOOM whereas few are since it wasn't even physically available to a large segment of subscribers and of those who could get it, few did.

With the old HDPak and adequate OTA DTV, I find that the wife and I watch little DBS HD except for football on ESPN. Most HD viewing we do is of the OTA channels. We don't have any interest in HD for HD's sake, so we don't want VOOM. We have the AT120 plus Starz and CMax w/ our 811. If we go for the 211 upgrade, our monthly bill goes up $15/month so we can watch ESPN2-HD. If we go for the 622 upgrade, after the $299 upfront fee, our bill goes up $20/month so we can watch ESPN2-HD and record HD in HD. At about $100/month there and the $299 up front, our local Comcast is cheaper for the same program content.

Clearly, if money is no object, then the E* upgrades sound pretty cool. But, those of us on the front end of the "baby boomers" who are watching our pennies and monthly cost commitments, aren't thrilled.

PEP said:
Well, I just called DISH and they refused to activate the old HD pak onto my 942 I purchased off of EBay. I am an existing customer, the 942 was activated (free and clear of past fees) and never have had the HD pak. So if anyone gets them to activate the old HD pak, please get a name of the CSR, or lead CSR or Supervisor. I think I will send an email to the CEO address and see if I can get any response there.

PEP

Want to unload that 942 now?

PEP said:

PEP

UPDATE: Well, I emailed the ceo@echostar.com email address and had a response back within a couple of hours. I was told that I could have the old HD pack for $10/month as long as I realized that I couldn't add any other HD programming to the 942. I agreed and he added it instantly to my account. No need to call up and talk to anyone. I am quite pleased with the turn around and outcome on this particular situation. :)

PEP

Carl B said:
Your assumption is that many already are paying $5 for VOOM whereas few are since it wasn't even physically available to a large segment of subscribers and of those who could get it, few did.

That wasn't my assumption. Someone stated that the "minimum" increase was $10. I was pointing out that this was not true, that for those who had VOOM, the "minimum" increase was $5.

If the statement had been that it was a $10 increase for the majority of HD subs, then I would have agreed. And in fact, I did point that out.

If I liked the crap that the networks put out on the 6 OTA HD channels I get, I would be very happy to stay with the old HD Pak for a long time. As is, I've been receiving all of the networks via OTA HD for 2 years and almost never watch them, primarily only a little basketball and football. I happen to like the VOOM content much better than the network content. And watch HDNET a lot. So I am irritated that I cannot pick up the 7 new HD channels. But all of this is neither here nor there when it comes to the overall cost analysis.

I don't see how your bill goes up $15 from the present, I only see a $10 increase.

AT120 + HD Pack + Starz/Cine = $60/month
HD Bronze + two-movie valu pak = $70/month

Not worth it if you won't be watching the new HD channels. But as more and more are added, such as Starz HD, then it will become more attractive/useful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)