Will Dish Anywhere work in Iceland?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

OldDishHusband

Original poster
Apr 18, 2022
Lehigh Acres, Florida
We are planning a trip to Iceland at the end of May. I just recently tried Dish Anywhere on my laptop for the first time. It worked fine other than not having the same Dish (Region) as my plan. The issue is my wife needs to sleep to the TV on and we're having trouble finding accommodations with a bedroom with a TV. That's where Dish Anywhere comes in. We do not have a plan with the Hopper, don't know if that makes a difference. We've had issues in the past trying to get a firestick or Flex to work overseas. Will Dish Anywhere work through a normal wifi connection outside of the USA? I mean....I know what "Anywhere" means to me, but I need confirmation, happy wife, happy life!

We have a VIP222K if that helps, but we aren't taking our receiver, we're just concerned that when we log into MyDish and then DishAnywhere on her laptop, that it will load the Dish content even though we're in Iceland. Thanks for your help.

We have a VIP222K if that helps, but we aren't taking our receiver, we're just concerned that when we log into MyDish and then DishAnywhere on her laptop, that it will load the Dish content even though we're in Iceland. Thanks for your help.
With your 222K, located in your home, you will not be able to watch programming from that receiver on the laptop using DishAnywhere because it doesn't have Sling capability. You will be able to watch streaming channels and on demand though.

You'll need a VPN. I travel with a $15 Walmart Onn Android streaming stick and use NordVPN on it. If you're staying at a hotel, you'll also need a web browser installed so you can login to the hotel's Wi-Fi.

You'll need a VPN. I travel with a $15 Walmart Onn Android streaming stick and use NordVPN on it. If you're staying at a hotel, you'll also need a web browser installed so you can login to the hotel's Wi-Fi.
You don't need a VPN to access DishAnywhere, just your Dish login. You attach to the hotel's wifi via the settings on the laptop. The OP is talking about viewing on the laptop not the hotel's TV.

Few points:

You mentioned a bedroom with a tv. I am assuming you are staying at airbnb. Sometimes, wifi connection is pretty slow in order to stream when you are at somebody's house. This happened to me several times in Paris and Barcelona. I didn't try to stream just checking places in the city where I was at with my ipad and phone.

If tv and speedy wifi available you can consider taking roku or fire stick. In order to get content for US market (Netflix and perhaps others) you need a paid version vpn service. (Free ones are useless.) You change the location of IP from wherever you are to US (with vpn settings) and watch whatever you like. (Again, spotty wifi is a concern.)

If you don't want to deal with all these, you can rip some dvd movies and save digital files on laptop. Then, no worries about tv, Internet.

Also, Amazon Prime and Netflix allow some shows to be downloaded and viewed for a limited time. I read some people do this before they leave for their vacation.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have messed around with lots of streaming services and DishAnywhere is the only one that provides both uninterrupted and legal service around the world.
Just got to remember - only one stream is allowed.

Regarding VPN services ; be prepared to lose reception mid stream - particularly during sporting events- when the provider blocks the ip addresses of the well known vpn services.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Hi, OldDishHusband!

You would be able to access DISH Anywhere through dishanywhere.com from your laptop while you are in Iceland, however, since you do have a VIP222K receiver, you will only have access to watch Free Content and Live Stream Channels. You are able to use this link for operating system requirements: MyDISH. Note: DISH Anywhere is not compatible with Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox.

You are also able to use this link to view more detailed information on live stream channels: MyDISH

Enjoy your trip, and safe travels!

Two things, the OP has a Vip 222k not a 722K and DISH no longer supports the Sling Adapter, not for a few years.
It's not just unsupported, but still working. The one I bought for my 722 quit working completely.
DO NOT BUY THAT! It's useless these days. I'm not ragging on you ttomni6; what you said used to be true. Why Amazon still has this useless item for sale, I do not know. I told Amazon this and hope they pull down all Sling Adapter ads before anyone buys it.

It's not just unsupported, but still working. The one I bought for my 722 quit working completely.

DO NOT BUY THAT! It's useless these days. I'm not ragging on you ttomni6; what you said used to be true. Why Amazon still has this useless item for sale, I do not know. I told Amazon this and hope they pull down all Sling Adapter ads before anyone buys it.
Here are the particulars from 2019:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts