Will Dish ever get MSG and/or SNY again?! ...

speedmaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
NY
Will Dish ever get MSG and/or SNY again?! ...

Last month Time-Warner customers were out of their minds over not having MSG for something like 6 weeks. We Dish customers have been without MSG and SNY for I think a year or more.

Any words on when they might get this deal done? Really missing the Sabres and Knicks games. ;-(

Thanks in advance!
Chris

I'm not too far up to date with what happened with Time Warner and MSG. Did the deal between the two get some help from Albany or did the two simply come to an agreement?

I'm not too far up to date with what happened with Time Warner and MSG. Did the deal between the two get some help from Albany or did the two simply come to an agreement?

I think that Albany (i.e. Cuomo) leaned on both sides to make a deal. But during that story I never heard any mention of Dish whatsoever. I was hoping that when that happened Dish might slide in along with them, but no word that I've seen.

Whenever I ask Dish if they're close to a deal with MSG I get a swift response, "We are bargaining in good faith and will not be bullied by MSG!" :)

I agree. This no NY RSNs is getting really old. I get that they wanted too much money but I've never seen reduction in my bill. In fact my bill has gone up. They still continue to offer NY customers a + package for an additional $5 a month that is supposed to consist of RSNs but offers nothing. While I love Dish, I can't see sticking with them once my contract expires. If Dish is getting out of sports, then so be it and give more movie channels or Blockbuster streaming to their customers for free. And when the agreements with other RSNs come to an end, then don't renew them.

Update: I just had this online chat with customer service, and asked them about when/if we would see these networks again. They responded:

"The cost of Regional Sport Networks continues to grow at an alarming pace and this makes each negotiation increasingly more difficult. We no longer have the right to carry the channel now that our deal has expired. We will continue to attempt negotiations with SportsNet New York and are committed to working toward a fair deal.
We apologize for the inconvenience. Although SportsNet New York is currently unavailable you can still watch videos of top plays, listen to the games live on mlb.com, and view roughly 15% of the games on WPIX (included in the New York DMA and Superstations package).
DISH negotiates dozens of contracts every year. Most of these are settled behind the scenes, without event. At this time, we have not been able to come to fair agreements with any of your regional sports networks. DISH continues to offer dozens of Mets games through network television on WPIX CW Ch. 11."

translation....we're just going to send you some bull line so you'll quit bothering us

DISH continues to offer dozens of Mets games through network television on WPIX CW Ch. 11."
dozens huh? Try 20-25...well I guess that is 2 dozen

There is special circumstances between government and cable. It's looked as cable customers are limited, which looks not to be the case in NY. Satellite customers have two options, three with their precious cable. These governments have deals with taxing and wiring up towns with cable. In a perfect world cable customers would be told "you don't like it, switch to satellite" just like satellite customers are told about switching to cable.

Update: I just had this online chat with customer service, and asked them about when/if we would see these networks again. They responded:

"The cost of Regional Sport Networks continues to grow at an alarming pace and this makes each negotiation increasingly more difficult. We no longer have the right to carry the channel now that our deal has expired. We will continue to attempt negotiations with SportsNet New York and are committed to working toward a fair deal.
We apologize for the inconvenience. Although SportsNet New York is currently unavailable you can still watch videos of top plays, listen to the games live on mlb.com, and view roughly 15% of the games on WPIX (included in the New York DMA and Superstations package).
DISH negotiates dozens of contracts every year. Most of these are settled behind the scenes, without event. At this time, we have not been able to come to fair agreements with any of your regional sports networks. DISH continues to offer dozens of Mets games through network television on WPIX CW Ch. 11."
in other words..nope

I think the key words there are "attempt negotiations" in the previous post. In otherwords, the two sides aren't even talking. I don't think Dish understand the whole concept of negotiating. Its a give and take type of thing. Not for nothing, the Mets are in some pretty sad shape. They should be able to work out a pretty good deal to get the channel back on. But when your only making attempts to negotiate, your not going to get anywhere. Also, rather then apologies why not take $ off the bill for those subscribers who lost those channels?

Funny story: I cancelled Dish last March because they took away SNY. So today, I get a call from Dish. A very nice sales person makes me a "great offer" with discounts and equipment to come back. I told her that was all fine, but until they get SNY back, I am sticking with my (horrible) cable. She asks what station I wanted, I said SNY. She looks and says "We got that! It's on 438". I said, no you don't. She checked, said "look at the website" and checked with someone else. I said "You're wrong". She checked with another flunkie, and came back and tried to direct me to the website section that listed the RSNs for my zip code. Man, the new website makes it a lot more difficult to find anything these days. Anyway, I gave up, came here, and found this thread. All this time, she was on the phone!

I told her NO, YOU DON'T HAVE IT. She looked again, swore it was "right there" in the channel listings. After a minute or two while she conferenced with someone, she goes "Oh look, right there, it says '438 is no longer available'" DUH!

Oh well, at least she was friendly. I (again) told her I would pay extra to get SNY/YES/MSG, but alas, that will never happen.

So I guess I'm stuck with my horrible Charter Cable service. At least I get internet from them..................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)