Will Dish Follow Suit

pduncan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
It's being reported that, according to their press release at CES, Direct TV will add the following HD Channels this year.
-- A&E
-- National Geographic ***
-- Bravo
-- NFL Network ***
-- Cartoon Network
-- SciFi Channel
-- CNN
-- Speed
-- Food Network ***
-- TBS
-- FX
-- The History Channel
-- HGTV ***
-- The Weather Channel
-- MTV
-- USA Network

***= Already on Dish

I don't know about you guys, but if this is true, it would be VERY appealing, given the fact that I watch a lot of these channels heavily. I bet if Dish doesn't follow suit, they will loose HD Subs. Voom channels get old REAL quick. Rave, World Movie and KungFu about the only ones I watch.

Any rumors about Dish picking up the pace?

We've all been hearing D*'s wonderful HD Plans since the end of 2004...seeing is beleiving. I feel D* will add these channels, but it won't be until late in the year (Sept-Dec). Beyond one or two new HD national channels, there may be no pressing business reasons for E* to add many of the new HD channels until 2008 (they will probably announce them at CES) because they will stil have the VOOM HD channels...plus, they will probably add the RSNs.

We've all been hearing D*'s wonderful HD Plans since the end of 2004...seeing is beleiving. I feel D* will add these channels, but it won't be until late in the year (Sept-Dec). Beyond one or two new HD national channels, there may be no pressing business reasons for E* to add many of the new HD channels until 2008 (they will probably announce them at CES) because they will stil have the VOOM HD channels...plus, they will probably add the RSNs.

Sad.... I remember a time when Dish use to lead the pack. If they beat Direct to the punch, I think it would shore up their base.

Sad.... I remember a time when Dish use to lead the pack. If they beat Direct to the punch, I think it would shore up their base.

They still DO lead the pack. At this point, I would not place much stock on idle speculation or CES rumors. If Direct does go thru with this, I'm absolutely certain Charlie will trump them.

Pure speculation.... Please, go ahead and jump ship and we'll see you in the D* forum complaining that they still haven't added many, if any at all, of those channels. People will go back to what they said at CES, as if that will make them add the channels.

Boy if Dish had made that announcement all of you would be praising the day.
Right now Dish cannot keep up with HD-LiL & RSN's so they will now keep up with DirecTV on National.

Boy if Dish had made that announcement all of you would be praising the day.

Not me. I dont care if it was God himself, making the statements that were made in that Engadget interview are just laughable.

I'm all for D* getting more national HD. It just means that the other providers will have to do whatever to keep up. In the end, it means more HD for the masses. I just wish it wasnt at the sacrifice of 33% of the picture.

Catching up ?? Based on what, a press release for what they claim or plan to do ?? Sorry, that means squat.... Until the channel(s) are up and available to customers, they have what they have today.
No arguement there. But an announced plan to add specific HD is better than no plan, which was the case.

Pure speculation.... Please, go ahead and jump ship and we'll see you in the D* forum complaining that they still haven't added many, if any at all, of those channels. People will go back to what they said at CES, as if that will make them add the channels.

Hold on there cowboy..:cool: .. didn't mean to jerk your chain. I didn't say that I was going to jump ship. I just said it sounded appealing. I also said IF that were to happen and if Dish didn't follow the lead then they very well could loose subs. In general, I'm pretty happy with Dish.... but would love to see more HD that I would actually watch, like what Direct announced (even if the announcement is pie in the sky!)

And, those who lead in something don't just sit on thier backside waiting to do something until they are forced to do it just to keep up. Everyone else should be forced to keep up with Dish! I realize that Dish is the "HD Leader" right now, but look at what HD AT&T U-Verse offers (better than Dish)... and they just heavily expanded in Indiana. Verion FIOS also is pushing Dish. I don't think that you can compare VOOM for the most part to the other "National" channels that may be coming to Direct or any other service. They are "ok" for the most part, but there just aint much in substance there.

Add one more for Direct to my list. Anyone up for a game of follow the leader?

http://www.tvpredictions.com/chiller011207.htm

The horror channel will hit the air in March.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (January 12, 2007) -- NBC Universal has announced that it's launching a High-Definition horror channel called Chiller.

The network, which will be available in standard and high definition, will launch on March 1. NBC officials say DIRECTV has agreed to carry the channel, although it's unclear when the high-def feed will be added to the satcaster's lineup.

Chiller is set to scare in March.

DIRECTV said this week that it will carry 100 national high-def channels by year's end, but most channels are not expected to be offered until mid-year.

Chiller will feature horror movies such as Psycho and The Shining and classic spooky TV shows such as Twin Peaks and Tales From the Crypt.

The high-def Chiller will face competition from Monsters HD, Voom's high-def horror network now available only on EchoStar, and Comcast's FearNet, which offers both standard and high-def scary movies on demand.

"We continually look at our options for launching new networks," NBC Universal said in a press release. "Horror is one of the most reliably successful genres in entertainment today, and Chiller seems like a well-timed addition to our portfolio."

I wasn't pin-pointing you directly to "jump ship", just anyone who believes this. Even you said "if this were true...", so hopefully you'll believe it when you (can) see it and not fall for this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts