Will Dish Follow Suit?

There is no way D* could add all those channels they've talked about and only charge $10 per month. I don't think E* will raise the price for a while but D* definitely will.

Actually I see both of them not calling it a HD programming fee in the future, instead they will call it a HD Technology Enabling feed.

I don't see charlie dropping his price until he has to. People are happily paying it now, and Dish is signing up more customers (and more HD customers) then DirecTV is now even with their lower HD package pricing) so in other words from the Dish standpoint, if its not broke then dont try fixing it. :D

Actually I see both of them not calling it a HD programming fee in the future, instead they will call it a HD Technology Enabling feed.

I don't see charlie dropping his price until he has to. People are happily paying it now, and Dish is signing up more customers (and more HD customers) then DirecTV is now even with their lower HD package pricing) so in other words from the Dish standpoint, if its not broke then dont try fixing it. :D

they key for Dish is Free HD DVR. (VIP 622) for new customer. and around 150 for current customer. also more channel than DTV.i think direct is still charging around 300 to 350 on them.

Actually I see both of them not calling it a HD programming fee in the future, instead they will call it a HD Technology Enabling feed. :D
They will probably call it a MPEG4 Fee, but should call it a Dish Network Tax!

I suspect that eventually, all new receivers will be MPEG4 and output HDMI and/or ATSC; so you will have to have such receiver and pay a fee.:D So for those of us who already have a MPEG4 receiver, we're being taxed on it now.

I haven't had time to reviewed the Team Summit notes, but took a quick look the other day and kind of remember some new receivers that were for HD & I think one that was SD/HD; and then there was something about 2 new MPEG4 birds in December that would provide 1000 channels using an 18 inch dish while providing locals for over 200 cities.

They will probably call it a MPEG4 Fee, but should call it a Dish Network Tax!
Nah its not a tax, because EVERYONE is doing it, Cable, DirecTV even IPTV is doing it (UVERSE was charging a $10 HD Technology fee for their service, yet ALL of their receivers are HD receivers) :)

I wouldn't just blame Dish on this one. ALthough I do feel that if Dish got rid of VOOM they could drop the price to $10 a month. Voom needs to continue working on their new content.

Also dish only gets about 6 HD channels per TP, (3 if they are still MPEG2). Compare this to over a dozen for MPEG2 SD, and a crapload (estimated at 30) SD channels on MPEG4. Dish has to spend much more to carry a HD channel than a SD channel, so they need to recoup this cost somewhere. That is done via a HD Fee.

Makes perfect sense.

Dish will not lower their $20 HD fee but DirecTV's announcement does mean that they shouldn't increase it either IMHO. My big fear with all of the new HD channels coming was an increase in my monthly bill. Since DirecTV said they will not increase I would guess Dish will follow suit.

Yeah but just because Direct says they wont increase their rates does not mean they wont. Nothing is a done deal until that day comes so for now everyone will half to wait and see.

My prediction will be a whole new pricing and packages for Dish2, Dish4, Ultra Dish or whatever they end up calling the MPEG4 system. They will probably do something to entice people to want to upgrade to it at first (means less spending in the future to buy out the last holdouts of the MPEG2 system). I almost think at first that all the packages on the new system will be HD included and priced $10 higher than the old system.

I would not be surprised if they did not have AT100 on the new system at first. That way they could dump all the old returned recievers on the old system for AT100 customers that only need a Dish500 (i.e. no fancy dishes or switches). After all AT100+$20 HD fee is $49/month, AT200 is $42.99, if they went to $10 HD AT200+HD would only be $3 more than the 100 package is today. A sneaky way to get all the AT100s to HD and more channels.

Of course just speculation, will be interesting to see who can qualify for the new system. Maybe only AEP at first?

Voom costs $10 on its own but it is now bundled with the HD fee so there is the extra $10. :)

No, you can't not subscribe to Voom if you want HD. :)

See ya
Tony

Well that is what Dish charges for VOOM. What VOOM actually costs Dish is unknown, maybe since own 20% of VOOM and buying satellite a fixed cost for so many years? I have a feeling there is an increadible markup in the $20 HD fee... I would venture a guess of $10-$15. Dish probably makes more on HD than any other package.

Voom is worth the extra $$ to me, because it actually has HD programs. I have been surprised by how little HD programs there are, on many of the channels that have "HD" in their names.

There are a lot of HD movies in the Voom package, especially if you enjoy "unpretentious" ones. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts