Will Dish install 2 dishes

chrisrosenb

Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
East Central Indiana
We am considering moving to Dish. We have an unattached garage/shop on my property. Our current setup has a sat dish on the house & one on the garage. Will Dish do this same type of setup?

We also have 5 DVRs. Can we get 5 DVRs from Dish?

And 5 DVRs probably can't be done as a free install, it used to be a max of 3 leased receivers, now with the Hopper I'm not sure about current limitations.

It can be done, especially with the Hopper system, but will cost some money. I certainly agree you need to talk to a local retailer.

garys said:
A local company will do this, but you will have to pay for the extra work and equipment beyond what would be included in the initial free install. Calling Dish directly or use of a DIRT member will probably not let you set it up.

There is no code to put on the work order to install a second dish in a work shop.

The problem is that the installer will refuse to do it as its almost considered 2 installs.

A local retailer will probably do all the extras you want at their cost so they can close the sale. That's atleast how I would price it.

We am considering moving to Dish. We have an unattached garage/shop on my property. Our current setup has a sat dish on the house & one on the garage. Will Dish do this same type of setup?

We also have 5 DVRs. Can we get 5 DVRs from Dish?

Hopper/Joey is a whole-home solution so having 5 separate DVRs may not be necessary. The Hopper has 3 satellite tuners and the DVR. Also consider that Prime Time Anytime boosts a single Hopper to 6 live streams in some cases: ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox use a single tuner for recording during prime time hours and for viewing live anytime. Joeys are play-out devices that connect to a Hopper via coax. They can access any of the 3 tuners or anything recorded in the Hopper DVR. Joeys have no tuners or local DVR storage. You associate either a Hopper or a Joey with each TV in the system.

Consider the number of LIVE programs you need separately (recording plus viewing). This will determine whether you need 1 or 2 Hoppers (3 or 6 tuners).

Joeys currently connect to the Hopper via ethernet and some have had success running them via Wi-Fi. This may be an option for your shop. Ethernet and Wi-Fi are NOT officially supported however. Speculation here is that the next version of Joey will include Wi-Fi connection built-in and with that Dish will support Hopper-Joey connections that way.

Thank you for the replies. After doing some more research & checking out my sisters Dish Hopper setup, I have some more questions.
I am looking at going with a 2 Hopper, 3 Joey setup.

1. How far from the dish can a Hopper or Joey be? It would take about 160 feet of coax to make the connection in my shop.

2. Would it be better to put a Hopper or Joey at the remote location?

3. Does the center wire in the coax have to to be solid copperor can it be copper clad steel?

4. Our current dish is mounted on our roof. That is where it had to go to get reception. Could the old dish be removed from the mount & the new dish install on the old mount?
I really do not want more holes in the roof.

5. I have been doing remodeling at my sisters house & listening to the TV while I am there. A few times during a program, the show will go off & when I went to check it out, there was a message on the screen saying to push a button to see whats hot, or something to that effect. Is this normal? This is the only thing so far that I do not like.

Thank you for the replies. After doing some more research & checking out my sisters Dish Hopper setup, I have some more questions.
I am looking at going with a 2 Hopper, 3 Joey setup.

1. How far from the dish can a Hopper or Joey be? It would take about 160 feet of coax to make the connection in my shop.

I believe max is 200ft.

2. Would it be better to put a Hopper or Joey at the remote location?

I would say Joey

3. Our current dish is mounted on our roof. That is where it had to go to get reception. Could the old dish be removed from the mount & the new dish install on the old mount?
I really do not want more holes in the roof.

I believe they should be able to use the existing mount

4. I have been doing remodeling at my sisters house & listening to the TV while I am there. A few times during a program, the show will go off & when I went to check it out, there was a message on the screen saying to push a button to see whats hot, or something to that effect. Is this normal? This is the only thing so far that I do not like

Maybe inactivity standby. It comes default to 2 hours. It sounds like its just going into standby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)