Will Dish need to match DTV's free DVRs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dmodemd

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 1, 2003
Ahh... interesting... if the DTV rumor is true, Charlie will HAVE to match it. His MPEG4 HD DVR will need to be given away free with commitment!
(ya know this is just a $0 lease... the lost $'s will just be thrown into the package cost...)

Everyone STOP buying your equipment! (You early 921 , 942 adopters...)

Lee

I know Charlie will have to replace my 921 for Free for me to stay with Dish.

Although, this has more to do with the 921 then what DirecTv is doing. I fell charlie owes the 921 owners something. I wouldn't care if a 1 year commitment is required to get a free replacement.

SatinKzo said:
I know Charlie will have to replace my 921 for Free for me to stay with Dish.

Although, this has more to do with the 921 then what DirecTv is doing. I fell charlie owes the 921 owners something. I wouldn't care if a 1 year commitment is required to get a free replacement.

i don't think he will be doing that.

dmodemd said:
Ahh... interesting... if the DTV rumor is true, Charlie will HAVE to match it. His MPEG4 HD DVR will need to be given away free with commitment!
(ya know this is just a $0 lease... the lost $'s will just be thrown into the package cost...)

Everyone STOP buying your equipment! (You early 921 , 942 adopters...)

Lee
Charlie will probably do whatever Rupert does.

Really it is a great way to get everyone to upgrade to MPEG4 quickly and it also ropes them into service for 2 more years.

From the other nights Charlie Chat there was a huge hunt that they are not only going to use MPEG4 for HD, but also SD then they said they were looking to bring in the Tenis Channel in MPEG4.

That would accomplish several things:

- new, easier to maintain and easier to support hardware across the board
- customers now obligated to stay for a while longer
- all the pirate hackers are suddenly stuck with obsolete doorstops.
- tick off all of us who OWN our equipment, IF they decide to do a lease-only model on the new stuff.

Well, like I said, if Charlie doesn't value my business of AEP+Supers+HD+Voom, then D* will get my business plain and simple. I hope charlie sees the writing on the wall on turnover if the D* rumor is true.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Really it is a great way to get everyone to upgrade to MPEG4 quickly and it also ropes them into service for 2 more years.

From the other nights Charlie Chat there was a huge hunt that they are not only going to use MPEG4 for HD, but also SD then they said they were looking to bring in the Tenis Channel in MPEG4.

Ill upgrade to an MPEG4 receiver to get The Tennis Channel, heck ill do it for any additional SD Content. Add the MTV Suite in MPEG4 and I'll cough the money over for the receiver.

Dish Network will have to do whatever DirecTv does or lose all of their subscribers to DirecTv. I am sure DirecTv would have a GREAT deal for all those Dish Network customers out there if such a thing would happen. They would advertise how they got a free upgrade for all their customers and have the hardware available for all new customers wanting to switch from cable or Dish Network. That would put a hurt on Dish Network. If I were Dish Network I would provide an HD DVR to all subscribers with the capability to be upgraded and provide the HD DVR in multiple rooms (at least with a simple upgrade) to keep prices down.

I believe Charlie Ergin will pull his usual rabit out of the hat and surprise everyone with some news that will beat Direct with whatever offer they come out with. Charlie would win any poker tournament he is in because he only lets you know enough to keep you interested until it is time to make an announcement such as getting the voom channels plus buying a percentage of the channels. I doubt he will let his personal cash cow slip away to Direct. He has allways given the best prices around and has given 811 for no cost compared to Direct charging $299 for a high Def receiver.

I think we are finally at a point where we the consumers are going to greatly benefit with what is going on in the satellite industry. Technology is finally going to be bringing us, hopefully, crystal clear satellite reception. It is my hope that DirecTV and Echostar knock themselves both out trying to out tech the other for our dollar! We've put up with poor quality long enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)