Will Dish Network ever get On Demand programming?

I don't see how it would work on DISH or any satellite service.

They would have to load up your dvr hard drive with tons of possible stuff.

There is no bandwidth for extra demand channels.

Realistically, satellite providers can't do it. They obviously have bandwidth restrictions with their current offerings so how could they add "streaming" options for hundreds of movies (just counting the movie channel's on-demand offerings, let alone the regular channel's offerings) to potentially thousands and thousands of customers ??

Cable companies don't have unlimited bandwidth either. Just like cable in the past, things like Pay-Per-View always started at a set time, just as Dish and DirecTV still do it today.

If the two merged, the bandwidth would be available to do some Ondemand. The ethernet port in the ViP receivers is our best chance.

So from all the replies, I gather...

This is a possibility if:

1.) Dish put content out there for customers to download to their Hard Drive or...

2.) "On Demand" programming can only be shown hourly or at set times.

Either way I'd rather that than nothing.

We chatted about this before with regards to the 100GB of reserved space that Dish retains on our 622 receivers. Right now Dish is offering a simple rotating selection of SD movies. They could customize this a bit by offering "subscriptions" to a narrower selection of programs. Like say, I prefer HD Sci-Fi movies, so the programs downloaded onto my 622 would have a higher concentration of HD & Sci-Fi. If they offered a dozen or more options, then at least people might find more interesting stuff on their hard drives.

Or, as suggested above, Dish could list 50, 100, ? programs available for downloading and let us pick which ones would be placed on our drives.

Not exactly a responsive, on-demand service, but much more enticing than what we are being served now.

Dish Network provided a major investment in CinemaNow just recently:

http://w.hdbeat.com/2006/07/13/echostar-invests-in-cinemanow-hd-vod-soon/

The speculation is that they are setting themselves up for a relationship with CinemaNow so that Dish subscribers can access CinemaNow's video and movie database in some way. The most likely way I can think of is by connecting our VIP receivers using the ethernet port, and being able to browse and download over the net.

While this wouldn't be fully on demand, as I am assuming it would take a little while to start as it started downloading the movie (especially for HD content) it does seem like this is pretty much the only option for a Dish solution to on-demand.

Yes VOD will be available from dish using the ethernet port.

After Dish shows that VOD over IP works and is secure expect mainstream VOD programming to become available.

Speaking of which I hear Starz On Demand will be available in a few weeks via ITVN which is an IP TV company.

We are just at the start of VOD and IP TV. I honestly believe that this technology is the future of television.

We think the Internet gets slow sometimes NOW... just wait till millions are all downloading full-res HD content.

Can you say "infrastructure upgrade" ? :D

And the upcoming bid on terrestrial spectrum can be used (the wizards at Direct and Echostar and partners can overcome initial bugs) for just about anything, including VOD service, wireless transmissions of video, audio, etc. That's what the nearly $1 billion downpayment to the FCC, almost twice as much as the next largest downpayment, is all about. Direct and Dish know their future depends on building a national terrestrail network, and they are not doing it alone. Other companies have partnered and more may still parther with them. Yes, it is still very next generation technology, but I have no doubt with the current consortium of companies putting up resources along with Direct and Dish, we will all be amazed by some time next year.

Last edited:
Pepper said:
We think the Internet gets slow sometimes NOW... just wait till millions are all downloading full-res HD content.

Can you say "infrastructure upgrade" ? :D

Internet 2 :)

There is talk now of ISP's filtering or throttling their competitions VOIP offerings. I could see the same thing happening with SAT VOD. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)