Will Dish Network grab VOOM customers before DirecTV or cable companies?

Jeffdbs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
Hopefully Dish Network has a plan in place to grab a large chunk of VOOM customers before DirecTV or cable companies launch more HDTV ads. Would like to see Dish Network add some HD channels and roll out the 942 HD-DVR to attract VOOM customers. Better yet I would like to see Dish Network offer free 811 lifeboats to Voom customers that see their ship the "VOOM-TITANIC" sinking. Captain Charlie time to steer one of your promotions toward the VOOM customers before more DirecTV/Cable ads appear in our nation newspapers.

It is more like Charlie would be throwing the Voomers an anchor if he gave out free 811s. That box was so buggy when I had it I actually traded it in for a 921. NOW that box is buggy too , but at least it is a dvr.

i think the majority of voomers will go to directv or cable. if you had voom, you wanted HD, right now, dish is in last place for HD.

I have dish and voom now, with dish downgraded to avoid duplication

why did I go with voom? Nothing compare to the HD content and quality. In my view dish has given up for the time being on HD tv and is more interested in international programming.

When voom goes, I will go to comcast. No way will I buy another 921 HD receiver that was obsolete in a year. The 942 is already obsolete. It will not support Mpeg4, which is where HD is going.

Unless dish makes some radical changes no way will I go with their mediocre HD programming, or direct TVs limited expensive HD programming

Sorry but Comcast charges a pretty hefty fee in leasing out their HDTV receivers and their HDTV programming.

DISH Network will likely offer a deal but not too great of a deal. After all, this is only 46k customers over a broad geographical area and not just in one town. Plus, how do you determine who's a Voom customer to make the promo eligible? A bit tough, I'd say.

D* is surely spending a lot of money in advertising their HD plans and I hope E* will follow suit. It's hard to see a big-screen non-HDTV anymore.

VOOM subs, such as myself, are there for the HD offerings. When VOOM goes dark I think that most subs will look for the provider with the most HD. For most people that means going back to cable. DISH is far back in last place when it comes to HD offerings. Cable will be there with their "Dump the DISH" offerings with great rates and packages for the first 12-18 months.

I do not imagine E* will step up to the plate. Sure, since they bought Voom's bird they could also buy the HD offerings which would make E* the HD leader they humorously claim to be. Unfortunately, Charlie continues his chant of "no compeling content" as he waits for some foireign language HD Bingo and Shopping channels to arrive.

Proving someone is a VOOM customer would not be that difficult, simply fax in a copy of your Voom bill or turn in your Voom DISH at time of install.

VHS wins out over Beta, Windows wins out over MAC, E* wins out over Voom. Just goes to show that American culture values mediocrity in large quantities above all else. But look I get 160 Channels ... so what if 20 of them are shopping and such, I have 160.

Amphicar770 said:
VHS wins out over Beta, Windows wins out over MAC, E* wins out over Voom. Just goes to show that American culture values mediocrity in large quantities above all else. But look I get 160 Channels ... so what if 20 of them are shopping and such, I have 160.

well said :up

I have dish and voom

Jeffdbs said:
Hopefully Dish Network has a plan in place to grab a large chunk of VOOM customers before DirecTV or cable companies launch more HDTV ads. Would like to see Dish Network add some HD channels and roll out the 942 HD-DVR to attract VOOM customers. Better yet I would like to see Dish Network offer free 811 lifeboats to Voom customers that see their ship the "VOOM-TITANIC" sinking. Captain Charlie time to steer one of your promotions toward the VOOM customers before more DirecTV/Cable ads appear in our nation newspapers.
and dish essentially offers nothing to a Voom customer except buggy expensive HD hardware which is already obsolete because it will NOT support MPEG4, and little content.

Unless things change radically at dish, I will be going to Comcast for my HD programming if Voom goes under. No expense for receivers, and medium selection of HD programming including locals

Hope Voom somehow makes it though

Comcast offers standard HD receivers for 5 bucks a month

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Sorry but Comcast charges a pretty hefty fee in leasing out their HDTV receivers and their HDTV programming.

DISH Network will likely offer a deal but not too great of a deal. After all, this is only 46k customers over a broad geographical area and not just in one town. Plus, how do you determine who's a Voom customer to make the promo eligible? A bit tough, I'd say.

D* is surely spending a lot of money in advertising their HD plans and I hope E* will follow suit. It's hard to see a big-screen non-HDTV anymore.
and DVR HD receivers for 10 bucks a month

don't think that is too hefty

Jeffdbs said:

"a large chunk of customers"???????

E* signs up more subscribers on average in one week than V* has in the entire time they have been operating. I don't see him offering anything substantial, unless he is looking for some cheap publicity as media outlets show him throwing a lifering to the subscribers.

How about you compare Dishs HD subscribers to Voom ? Im a Voomer and I will either go with Offair or DirectTv. E* just don't care about HD. International thats where its at. :) :(

BobMurdoch said:
"a large chunk of customers"???????

E* signs up more subscribers on average in one week than V* has in the entire time they have been operating. I don't see him offering anything substantial, unless he is looking for some cheap publicity as media outlets show him throwing a lifering to the subscribers.

Dish 921-about $500.00 to buy, no lease
Dish 942-pay $250.00 for the right to lease, and $10.00 a month
Comcast 6412-$10.00 a month, HD channels are part of the package you get.

Real hefty .

letMeIn said:
How about you compare Dishs HD subscribers to Voom ? Im a Voomer and I will either go with Offair or DirectTv. E* just don't care about HD. International thats where its at. :) :(

No, I don't want to make that distinction. The bottom line is money. Voom could only get 30-50000 subscribers to line up to get the service in the entire time they have been operating (and how many are freebies, like the dozens they handed out at the 2004 Oscars in the Gift Basket that don't generate revenue). E* now adds five times that in a single quarter. I would even venture a guess that a third of V* subscribers subscribe to either Cable, D*, or E* as well, as there are just way too many gaps in the programming lineup.

The bottom line is that HD is not ready for prime time as far as the bulk of the populace is concerned. We are early adopters who are ahead of the curve and don't mind paying $3K for TVs and $1K for receivers. When Analog TVs go away AND HD sets cost less than $300 at Best Buy, THEN you will see HD become popular. The vast majority of people with HD sets only use them to watch DVDs which aren't even HD. (I was one of them until 1/2004.... I had my HD set for two years until I saw my first HD broadcast on it)

As for E* only caring about Internationals, I will agree that they are more concerned with chasing the immigrant market than targeting affluent early adopters like D* and V* did. Plus when they are making $10-20 a CHANNEL with those it is easy to see why they are doing it.... They win the bang for the buck award for bandwidth utilization on a per subscriber basis, although I question just how many Japanese speaking subscribers they have that want the Japanese channels. If you are making $20 a subscriber, but only have 20000 subscribers to the channel is is worth the expense?

Amphicar770 said:

Yep, that was right on dude.

BobMurdoch said:
No, I don't want to make that distinction. The bottom line is money. Voom could only get 30-50000 subscribers to line up to get the service in the entire time they have been operating (and how many are freebies, like the dozens they handed out at the 2004 Oscars in the Gift Basket that don't generate revenue). E* now adds five times that in a single quarter. I would even venture a guess that a third of V* subscribers subscribe to either Cable, D*, or E* as well, as there are just way too many gaps in the programming lineup.

The bottom line is that HD is not ready for prime time as far as the bulk of the populace is concerned. We are early adopters who are ahead of the curve and don't mind paying $3K for TVs and $1K for receivers. When Analog TVs go away AND HD sets cost less than $300 at Best Buy, THEN you will see HD become popular. The vast majority of people with HD sets only use them to watch DVDs which aren't even HD. (I was one of them until 1/2004.... I had my HD set for two years until I saw my first HD broadcast on it)

As for E* only caring about Internationals, I will agree that they are more concerned with chasing the immigrant market than targeting affluent early adopters like D* and V* did. Plus when they are making $10-20 a CHANNEL with those it is easy to see why they are doing it.... They win the bang for the buck award for bandwidth utilization on a per subscriber basis, although I question just how many Japanese speaking subscribers they have that want the Japanese channels. If you are making $20 a subscriber, but only have 20000 subscribers to the channel is is worth the expense?

Actualy the one who hit it on the head is Bob, I agree with what you mentioned and the numbers posted by D* and V support the fact that E is the only company making money this year.
With the current state of V and also D planning to youst Tivo and posting a loss for 04 makes me nervous to even think about them as an option. Imagine and this is a big stretch, if E could come out with decent equipment and add some Voom content along side of that...
That would make D cringe eh. :eek:

I may be wrong, but Comcast quoted me $10 a month for HD-DVR and I think the HD pak was $5 or $10 a month. Dish wants $10 box rental for 942 after a $250 fee then $10 HD fee and $5 DVR fee. And Comcast will give me $25 a month off for 16 months as a Dish customer!

I'm sure with all this news lately that it is not helping VoOm out any. If anything it will cause VoOm to lose some of their subscriber base to D/E/Cable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)