will dish network installers install a ota antenna? digital home advantage question?

one028

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
southeast michigan
i have talked to several cs reps at dish network and no one there can answer my question. when i ask about an ota antenna for local hd channels they all tell me that i dont need one, that the locals come through the satalite. how can they not know how hdtv works? i tried to talk to several different cs reps only to cancel my installation. does anyone know if i do sign up with dish network will the dish installers install an ota antenna (for an extra charge). do they have them with them, do i need to buy one, i wish someone there could answer my questions. its very aggrevating trying to find an employee that knows how their technology works.

i would like to go with a local retailer, but the local retailers wont honor the digital home advantage promo. they require i sign a year contract, and will not intall it under the dha no commitment promo. i still find that hard to believe. dish network gives you local retailers on their website to call, but when you call them they have different terms than the actual company. how can they be part of dish network, advertise on dishnetwork website, sell the same equipment, but not offer the same promotions?

No an OTA antenna install is not part of the standard install, however if you offer to pay the installer to put it up for you, I am sure they will do it. :D

HD locals DO NOT come through the satellite! Only CBS-HD and that's only if you're in an Owned and Operated market.

Directv does install an OTA antenna outside but charges for it. I got it just because I want the best quality signal I can get.

If you can't get a straight answer then e-mail ceo@dishnetwork.com

I think you will need to buy one yourself and the installer will install it for extra charge (both cable and labor), if the antenna can be attached to the dish (e.g., squareshooter). Check with your retailer to make sure you got all the parts needed before the installer comes.

i did email the ceo, and he gave me numbers of local retailers that will install ota antenna for an extra charge while installing dish network equipment. but the catch is THEY WILL NOT HONOR THE DHA PROMO, AND REQUIRE ME TO SIGNN A YEAR CONTRACT. i have comcast now, and i am about to give up and stick with comcast, even though i cant stand the analog picture.l

one028 said:
...will the dish installers install an ota antenna (for an extra charge). do they have them with them, do i need to buy one
I take it you need a larger, external antenna to pick up your locals.... Remember, just because you can get HD locals "through" an 811 or 921 receiver, Dish isn't "providing" them to you. Therefore their installers certainly won't include installation of the req'd antenna. As many have mentioned though, it's likely that most installers will do it for an extra charge. I'm curious how it would work if you order through Dish directly and they have an installation-only company do the work. CAN they bill you seperately or would it be a "cash" deal, on the side ?? :)
i would like to go with a local retailer, but the local retailers wont honor the digital home advantage promo. they require i sign a year contract, and will not intall it under the dha no commitment promo. i still find that hard to believe. dish network gives you local retailers on their website to call, but when you call them they have different terms than the actual company. how can they be part of dish network, advertise on dishnetwork website, sell the same equipment, but not offer the same promotions?
I agree 100% with you on that one.... It's been explained many times around here how the installer's get "screwed" by Dish if someone quits before a year is up, but that's between Dish and the installer, NOT THE CUSTOMER. Dish advertises no-committment, but the installing company requires one ?? That's not right...

one028 said:
i did email the ceo, and he gave me numbers of local retailers that will install ota antenna for an extra charge while installing dish network equipment. but the catch is THEY WILL NOT HONOR THE DHA PROMO, AND REQUIRE ME TO SIGNN A YEAR CONTRACT. i have comcast now, and i am about to give up and stick with comcast, even though i cant stand the analog picture.l

Last I checked, Comcast has a halfway decent HD package, including all the locals in HD. So what's the problem?

ocaddict said:
Last I checked, Comcast has a halfway decent HD package, including all the locals in HD. So what's the problem?

the analog channels suck...but i think i fixed some of my problem by adding an amp. still not the best but better. i just want to try dish to see the difference between cable and dish.

When I got my 811 in December, the Dish (corp installer) charged me $30 extra to install one of those round antennas that clip to the dish. These antennas are cheap and may not work for everyone, but they allow me to pick up all of my digital locals with a decent signal.

The $30 was paid to Dish Network and not the installer (I wrote out a check.)

i gave my installer 20 bucks to install an extra wire for my outside antenna if i ever choose to get one. most will do the extra work for a fair price. i found the 20 bucks to run an extra wire and to clean up the wires that i installed myself to be a great bargin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)