Will Dish Network merge with Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Harold Camping (the dude that said the word was gonna end on 5/21) now says the world will end "with a fireball" on 10/21/11

hence the 10/22 joke of them merging

If E* and D* were to merge, there would be some good stuff and bad stuff out of it. The good stuff is that E* subs would get the RSNs in 24/7 HD and also all of the sports and Disney stuff and the 3D we currently don't have and D* subs would get all the basic national HD that they don't have. The bad stuff would be that the satellite business would become a monopoly and who knows how high the prices could/would go.
They can't go that high as they have to deal with cable like the big bad Comcast.

I can see Dish / Direct sharing satellites among other things and perhaps offer some sort of union on contracts with the content providers to have a greater hold on negotiations.

It would be great if they merged. Look at all the band width that would be available as well as using the best equipment between the two companies. Pricing would still be competitive thanks to the cable companies. Bring it on.

As a retailer I wouldn't mind it. We've already considered selling both DISH and Direct. I know a lot of retailers that already do. It could make it easier to carry both if they are run together. I know it seems like a monopoly but that would only be in the satellite industry, not it the pay TV industry. It make actually be smart for the two of them to combine.

One of the biggest hurdles would be what equipment they would use. Would D* agree to go the E* which is somewhat better than D* from what I have observed (from reading) up until lately. Also they would have to decided how to combine the data streams to work for the new equipment so there would be allot before the bandwidth could be shared. I'm of the opinion it's all a bunch of distraction and not anything that is really going to happen any time soon or ever.

I read several years ago when they talked about the merger a long time ago that there were chips in the Dish Network receivers that would make them work with Directv?

I used to think that it would be wonderful if they merged but that was before my locals and HD service was launched. Now that all of the services are pretty well here, I do not see much of an advantage as far as the consumer is concerned. I think I would rather not see a merger at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)