Will Dish receivers still work if I cancel ?

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I asked this awhile back, but got conflicting answers. I currently own an 811, a 301(not using now) and lease an 811. I subscribe to the AT60 only. If I cancel my Dish subscription, will the 811 allow me to pick up my OTA stations with my OTA antenna, like I do now? My other choice/question is what is the cheapest way to keep the account active? Can I subscribe only to the HD package, and what would it cost? One 811 is hooked up to a 32" analog set now, and the other 811 is hooked up to my projector(which I'd like to continue to receive HD OTA on). I'm not sure what my best option is. Thanks.

I think for the 811 to keep working OTA, it has to at least see the signal from the sat. If I'm wrong, I will be corrected.
As for pricing, I have given up trying to quote dish pricing schemes. Someone else will surely know.

What do you mean "see the signal from the sat"? Do you mean it will work as long as I don't move the dish? Does anyone know if I can subscribe only to the HD package, and what would it cost(I'm assuming I would pay for the HD package and the $5 per month lease fee/or extra room fee). I'm trying to decide if I should keep both 811's hooked up as they are, or get rid of one and hook up the 301 instead to the analog set. Thanks, I'm so damn confused.

Tate Satellites said:
The easiest way to find out is to disconnect the satellite from the box leaving the OTA connected.

NO, THIS WILL NOT WORK! As the previous posters have said, the 811 needs to see the satellite to work for OTA only. If you disconnect the satellite from the box, it will not see the satellite and therefore will not work. If you cancel your service and leave everything hooked up, as of now, your OTA still should work. That could change with a software update at any time.. As far as subcribribing to HD only, there would likely be an additional $5 access charge in addition to the HD pack fee, but if all you are interested in is OTA, then your cheapest option is to pay $0.

I love your avitar, even though it's not true. The Yankees are the best team in baseball. They have the most World Championship wins and the best players. I guess that's why we think the Yankees suck and why I choose to be a Met's fan.

If all you want is OTA then dump dish, purchase a stand-alone HD tuner box to feed your projector your local OTA signals.

DVDDAD said:
The Yankees are the best team in baseball. They have the most World Championship wins and the best players.

Just looked it up... Best does not mean "overpaid/overhyped" :D

I believe if you cancel all programming you'll still get channel 101 as long as your recievers are connected to the dish. That should be all that's neccessary to keep your OTA tuner active. I know this was true with my 921 because as soon as I connected my unit to my dish I got locals and 101. It took a phone call to get box activated and all other channels.

Yes you can subscribe to HDPak and Voom only. A member on another forum has done that very same thing.

Dish

Is there any way to get the HD package and Voom HD package on one dish? I have the Dish 500 now. I used to get the Dish HD package a while back. Having to use a second dish would really suck. Is there any talk of only needing 1 dish for this in the future? Thanks.

DVDDAD said:
I love your avitar, even though it's not true. The Yankees are the best team in baseball. They have the most World Championship wins and the best players. I guess that's why we think the Yankees suck and why I choose to be a Met's fan.

The man is from Mississippi...are you sure he's referring to the baseball Yankees? :D :D :D

JimMcC said:
Is there any way to get the HD package and Voom HD package on one dish? I have the Dish 500 now. I used to get the Dish HD package a while back. Having to use a second dish would really suck. Is there any talk of only needing 1 dish for this in the future? Thanks.
I'm hearing of new Voom testing going on sat 129. Looks like 129 may be the Voom satellite mirror for the west coast because they're using the same channel numbers that 61.5 is using. This would still require two dishes unless you have the new Dish1000 (soon to be released).

If you downgrade lower than the AT60, you will HAVE to return the leased 811. You can keep the HDPack/Voom for $20/month($5 access fee for not having a minimum package), plus $5 per extra receiver. The 811 MUST have the sat feed hooked to it to use the OTA as was mentioned. It will still work with OTA with the receiver deactivated, HOWEVER, recently E* has changed some receivers like the 501/8/10s so that they will NOT work if they are deactivated, so they may do the same with the 811, and since it has to have the sat hooked up for OTA, it will take the kill hit.
Also, right now the 2 dishes is required for V*. D500 at 110/119 and D300 for 61.5. They ARE testing V* on the 129, but there is NO guarentee that they will make them available there any time soon. It may be next year if at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)