Will Dish Retain the Title "HD Leader"?

If Dish were to put E11 at 119 and turn the spots off on E7, they would probably pick up a lot more spot capacity. I would like to see the specs for E11 to be filed at the FCC so we can examine them. E7 uses 5TPs over 15 spots with reuse it provides about 25 TPs worth of transmission. If E11 with steerable spots had much smaller footprints, it could probably reuse the same 5 transponders more than 5 times each. E10 gets almost 10x reuse. If they were to get 10x they would have 25 more cities worth of capacity for HD LiL. This would free up a bunch of TPs on 61.5/129.

Your argument is that E* needs to expand HD LIL cities, but the E* have been saying that all the D* HD LIL cities that they carry don't count, it's national baby, which is what this thread is discussing. If your going to include shear HD channel counts, including HD LIL then D* wins now hands down.

Apparently, it didn't, except in the D* marketing department.

- - -

First, there was HD.

THEN, we brought you HD-Lite!

NOW, we bring you entire "HD" channels with nothing but uprezzed STRETCH-O-VISION!

Stectch-O-Vision............. now that's funny!

Your argument is that E* needs to expand HD LIL cities, but the E* have been saying that all the D* HD LIL cities that they carry don't count, it's national baby, which is what this thread is discussing. If your going to include shear HD channel counts, including HD LIL then D* wins now hands down.

The problem is that almost all the Dish HD LiL cities are on the CONUS transponders... In other words a transponder that could be providing national HD channels is instead providing channels for a local market. If Dish is able to use its new spot beam satellite to move these LiL HD markets off of the CONUS transponders and put them on spot transponders, they would have new capacity on the freed CONUS TPs for national HD channels.

They never really delivered on the HD they talked about at the 2006 CES, so this could have been (or still could be) more of the same.

So what didn't they deliver on? They have been saying for 3 years now what their plan is. And they have delivered on that plan nearly to the letter.

Lets see:
We're going to be behind E* and cable for a couple years and admit it. Check.
SW1&2 launch, many HD LIL up in 2005 and 2006. Check.
DirecTV 10 and 11 up in 2007. Capacity for 150 HD national channels. Check.
2008- HD Leader. Check.

And they have been right on that roadmap since 2004 when they first started talking about all this.

So what haven't they delivered?

DirecTV 10 and 11 up in 2007. Capacity for 150 HD national channels. Check.
2008- HD Leader. Check.

Never count on something being delivered that has yet to be launched on a rocket to a geosynch orbit and tested successfully. There are too many possible things that can go awry with the launch and even if the satellite makes it to geosynch orbit it is possible that solar panels won't fully deploy requiring the satellite to run in reduced power mode. This would materially effect either the signal strength or alternatively the number of full power TPs available from the satellite.

So what haven't they delivered?

They haven't delivered the two satellites yet (see above). Until those satellites are launched, tested and operational you are counting the assets as in place prematurely. One could call this "pulling an Enron" I suppose ;)

Cheers,

So then it's OK for E* to announce carrying the RSN's in HD but then when asked about the delay Charlie says they're still negotiating with them? I don't see D* doing anything different then what E* does.

So then it's OK for E* to announce carrying the RSN's in HD but then when asked about the delay Charlie says they're still negotiating with them? I don't see D* doing anything different then what E* does.

Where did I say it was ok? The last I checked no company's PR departments asked me to OK what they're announcing ;)

Go back to my post and read it again. Don't count your satellite capacity until it's operational in orbit. That's about what I said and I pointed out exactly why. I said nothing about either companies PR departments with my post.

The words "The plan for Satellite Z" indicates intent, but that's only if it all works according to plan. Otherwise, you go to your backup plan.

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)