Will DISH Still be behind in HD compared to DIRECTV come April 1st?

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I looked at the echostarknowledge base for the comparison of DISH hd to DIRECTV hd and after DISH adds the other 7 or so hd national channels by April 1st I noticed the following.

CHannels that DISH has that DIRECTV DOES NOT have:

BET Jazz
Hallmark Movies
Lifetime
Lifetime Movies
Travel channel
WGN
Actionmax
Cinemax 5 star
HBO Comedy
HBO latino
HBO 2 east
HBO Signature
HBO Family
HBO Zone
WFN
-----------------------
15 channels

HD channels that DIRECTV has that DISH doesn't have;

FX
The 101- Directv exclusive channel
Smithsonian
Showtime Extreme
SHowtime West
SPeed
MLB
Fuel tv
-------------------
8 channels

Now when you compare the Regional sports networks between the two, DIRECTV wins hands down.

RSN Channels that DIRECTV has and DISH doesn't:

FSN Carolina
FSN Indiana
FSN Okalahoma
FSN Tennesse
FSN Utah
FSN Wisconsin
MASN
MSG
MSG PLUS
Yes hd
MASN Alternate
MSG Plus Alternate
MSG Plus 2 Alternate
Sun Sports FSN /florida plus
-----------------------------
14 channels

So if you take the 14 rsns and add them to the 8 extra national channels that DISH doesn't have = 22 hd channels. Take the 22 hd channels minus the 15 hd channels that DISH has and DIRECTV doesn't have =7 channels. So in the end it looks like DIRECTV will have 7 more hd channels than DISH come April 1st. So DIRECTV will lead mostly in the regional sports networks and the one channel I really want and won't even come up for negotiations till summer: FX.
Does anyone think that DISH will catchup in the rsns this year? THat will be the only thing that DIRECTV will still lead in and always leads in: Sports. DISH will still lead in premium movie channels as usual , and I betting that the last two Showtime channels that DIRECTV has and DISH doesn't will be added as well.

A comparison you didn't make is the number of local DMAs carried. With the addition of Ciel-2, Dish has been picking up serious speed in the addition of locals in HD. When Dish adds the next 7 HD national channels, i think that will make 14 new adds 14 between February 1 and April 1 this year (and one minus, Smithsonian).

Aside from the lack of SpeedHD, ESPNU-HD, and FX-HD, i think Dish has been progressing quite nicely. My estimation is that Dish will be ahead of DTV except for the sports channels.

Of those 8 that direct has (which dish doesn't) 3 more could be possible adds this summer (depending on how Dish/Fox negotiations go) 2 are questionable/possible new adds (the other two showtimes) and the remaining 3 are HIGHLY unlikely (I mean why would d* share 101, on the CC they said flat out no MLB or Smith). And if we assume that direct stays the course and dish adds "BET-HD" by April 1 then it would 16 E* has that D* doesn't...

Call me crazy but I am one Directv customer who is going to switch to Dish, I like their HD offerings and Sunday ticket is not the big draw it once once for me. As long as I have NFL network I should be good. I also like the packages that are available as sometimes as in the summer time we dont watch much TV and with Direct its a all or nothing package. Its a big decsion I have been going back and fourth on as I have been a Direct customer since 2000, but I think its time for a change....Crossing my fingers:)

I am going to call Dishstore some time this week to set it up

IF CHarlie does add the FX and Speed channels this summer then the only thing DIRECTV will have over DISH is mostly rsns. IF national hd channels are in parity then we will have to quit saying that Lack of hd channels is the reason for DISH losing subs. Looks like they will still have problems in Customer service, advertising & marketing, confusing programming packs and numerous made up fees. They are all somethings that DISH can fix if they concentrate on . DISH will still have the superior cutting edge receivers. SO in the end it will come down to what it always comes down to , when you compare the two services: IF you want Sports- directv , if you want Movies-DISH.

At this point the only HD channel tht I really want that E* doesn't have isn't offered by either provider and that is ESPNU HD. And in all honesty I don't really care about having that until college football season starts this fall.

If Dish really has 19 more HD TMP channels up there, they could definitely pull ahead in total channel count. Plus from the looks of it, it looks like they are getting ready to roll with some full time HD RSNs (ones that are not mirrored on both arcs).

If all this happens I do not see how there could be any claim that people are leaving Dish because of lack of HD. It will have to be pricing or a particular channel. 150 HD LiL markets is quite a good goal. Once 77 launches Dish might be able to carry all DMAs.

But, alas, Dish has missed the goals in the past. The end of the year should be interesting once 72.7 is launched and E6 makes it over to 61.5 to fill in the remaining TPs. I see Dish's current capacity as they currently have things configured at 133 full time HD channels (19 TPs with 7 HD each, 16 on 129 and 3 on 110 being the choke point).

I also do not expect DIRECTV to sit around and not add any more HD. I am sure they will be adding some new channels throughout the year too. The problem is becomming what to add. Both providers will be reaching capacity and will have to be selective on what they want to add.

Full time RSN hd are way overrated in my opinion. It would be nice for Dish to televise a game in hd if it is suppose to be televised but as far as full time RSN hd, not much else is hd except the games.

With the addition of BET-J this past week, I would contend that Dish and Direct are now tied at 69 national HD channels (albeit some specific channels are different), while Dish extended it's premium HD channel lead from 4 to 7 (22-15).

Since so many people at Dish read these threads, people should stop obsessing over channel counts. The more channels they add, the more the PQ will be squeezed. At this point, what's more important? Quality or quantity?

Since so many people at Dish read these threads, people should stop obsessing over channel counts. The more channels they add, the more the PQ will be squeezed. At this point, what's more important? Quality or quantity?

The only thing funnier than the obsession with channel counts is the way some of the fanboys in the warzone used to inflate them. :D

But your right, channel count is pointless if quality is sacrificed...not to mention if they continue pulling some channels just to make room for others...thats just ridiculous.

I looked at the echostarknowledge base for the comparison of DISH hd to DIRECTV hd and after DISH adds the other 7 or so hd national channels by April 1st I noticed the following.

CHannels that DISH has that DIRECTV DOES NOT have:

BET Jazz
Hallmark Movies
Lifetime
Lifetime Movies
Travel channel
WGN
Actionmax
Cinemax 5 star
HBO Comedy
HBO latino
HBO 2 east
HBO Signature
HBO Family
HBO Zone
WFN
-----------------------
15 channels

HD channels that DIRECTV has that DISH doesn't have;

FX
The 101- Directv exclusive channel
Smithsonian
Showtime Extreme
SHowtime West
SPeed
MLB
Fuel tv
-------------------
8 channels

Now when you compare the Regional sports networks between the two, DIRECTV wins hands down.

RSN Channels that DIRECTV has and DISH doesn't:

FSN Carolina
FSN Indiana
FSN Okalahoma
FSN Tennesse
FSN Utah
FSN Wisconsin
MASN
MSG
MSG PLUS
Yes hd
MASN Alternate
MSG Plus Alternate
MSG Plus 2 Alternate
Sun Sports FSN /florida plus
-----------------------------
14 channels

So if you take the 14 rsns and add them to the 8 extra national channels that DISH doesn't have = 22 hd channels. Take the 22 hd channels minus the 15 hd channels that DISH has and DIRECTV doesn't have =7 channels. So in the end it looks like DIRECTV will have 7 more hd channels than DISH come April 1st. So DIRECTV will lead mostly in the regional sports networks and the one channel I really want and won't even come up for negotiations till summer: FX.
Does anyone think that DISH will catchup in the rsns this year? THat will be the only thing that DIRECTV will still lead in and always leads in: Sports. DISH will still lead in premium movie channels as usual , and I betting that the last two Showtime channels that DIRECTV has and DISH doesn't will be added as well.

Dish has FSN Oklahoma I have watch games on there. Overall I think Dish HD is better and Dish hardware by far is better. Overall they all will have the same amount of HD Channels due to there is only so many HD channels out there and many of the providers will have the same amount of HD Channels like SD. It will come down to price and their hardware so forth.

I think PQ is pretty good right now overall... I'd REALLY like to have FX and AMC though.

Or, better yet, if Dish made better use of their On Demand and provided those networks' popular shows in HD (Damages, Burn Notice, Mad Men, It's Always Sunny, etc.), that would negate the need for an HD channel (for me anyway).

IFC HD and Sundance if it is available. I would love all the premium movie channels to all be HD as those channels have a high percentage of HD content.

Other than the HD premiums that Dish doesn't have, (the multiplexed premiums), the only thing left is the Viacom channels in HD--which are coming by April 1st, then the only thing out there left other than 24/7 RSN's is:

E! HD, TV One HD, Style HD, G4HD, IFC HD, AMC HD, Fuse HD, Fuel HD, MLB Network HD, WE HD, QVC HD, ESPNU HD, FX HD, Speed HD, Outdoor Channel HD, RFD HD

Other than whats listed above, there isn't much HD available. With the economy like it is, it seems a lot of the networks have slowed down when it comes to debuting HD channels.

The RSN's in HD are pretty much useless unless a live event is on. The premiums in HD show more HD content then -most- HD channels, but honestly there isn't many that Dish doesn't have, a few west coast and Cinemax HD's, maybe a Showtime or two that is still out there that for some reason Dish didn't feel a need to add in addition to the 2 that they made available.

Missed 1

Other than the HD premiums that Dish doesn't have, (the multiplexed premiums), the only thing left is the Viacom channels in HD--which are coming by April 1st, then the only thing out there left other than 24/7 RSN's is:

E! HD, TV One HD, Style HD, G4HD, IFC HD, AMC HD, Fuse HD, Fuel HD, MLB Network HD, WE HD, QVC HD, ESPNU HD, FX HD, Speed HD, Outdoor Channel HD, RFD HD

Other than whats listed above, there isn't much HD available. With the economy like it is, it seems a lot of the networks have slowed down when it comes to debuting HD channels.

The RSN's in HD are pretty much useless unless a live event is on. The premiums in HD show more HD content then -most- HD channels, but honestly there isn't many that Dish doesn't have, a few west coast and Cinemax HD's, maybe a Showtime or two that is still out there that for some reason Dish didn't feel a need to add in addition to the 2 that they made available.

You missed one of the most important one's (IMHO).It's BBC America HD.