Will DISH Still be behind in HD compared to DIRECTV come April 1st?

Both Providers will never have all The HD channels everyone wants and exact channel count doesnt give you the real picture as some are premiums that some of us dont subscribe to anyway.Heres my take if you like sports Directv is the way to go,if you like more movies Dish,doesnt matter who has most auctual HD count..Just a numbers game !!

If you are a movie person, go with Fios or Uverse if you can. I currently also use ATT Uverse on a trial basis, you wouldn't believe how many premium HD movie channels they have. This is from a service that can only tune to two HD channels at the same time:)

Of course there is a good reason for that, Fios and Uverse do not have to actually "carry" all those HD channels in the pipeline, only stream those the users are watching.

With DBS, they have to carry all the channels at all time, which makes it very hard on the capacity to carry all of them. On the other hand, if DISH can do the VOD movie correctly, they can easily fill the void, by making all those premium HD movie channels free HD VODs.

As far as PQ, since E* is not changing from 7/TP tp 8/TP or 9/TP, the PQ will stay the same. Once they fill up all the free TPs, then they may have to add more per TP, that is when PQ will be a concern, but then at that time D* will have a similar concern once they fill up their free TPs.

Would Love to have Fios as a Choice.

If you are a movie person, go with Fios or Uverse if you can. I currently also use ATT Uverse on a trial basis, you wouldn't believe how many premium HD movie channels they have. This is from a service that can only tune to two HD channels at the same time:)

Of course there is a good reason for that, Fios and Uverse do not have to actually "carry" all those HD channels in the pipeline, only stream those the users are watching.

With DBS, they have to carry all the channels at all time, which makes it very hard on the capacity to carry all of them. On the other hand, if DISH can do the VOD movie correctly, they can easily fill the void, by making all those premium HD movie channels free HD VODs.

As far as PQ, since E* is not changing from 7/TP tp 8/TP or 9/TP, the PQ will stay the same. Once they fill up all the free TPs, then they may have to add more per TP, that is when PQ will be a concern, but then at that time D* will have a similar concern once they fill up their free TPs.

Out here in Central california FIOS isnt available ,yet.Would love to see that come out here and give it a try. If I understand right FIOS works thru your telephone line and not a Dish on your Roof,that would be so much better especially on the windy Coast where I live ,as I have to constantly realign my Dish.What is the price compared To other services.

If I understand right FIOS works thru your telephone line ...What is the price compared To other services.

FIOS is a fiber optic line that comes right up to your house. They install a system in your garage (or whatever) that converts/splits everything out- phone, internet, and TV. Some areas have FIOS, but not FIOS TV.

Generally speaking, the price is lower for MANY more channels, but it varies from city to city. Equipment rental costs are a concern...if you have one or 2 DISH receivers, FIOS is almost certainly cheaper, but it adds up quick if you have 4 or so.

Both Providers will never have all The HD channels everyone wants and exact channel count doesnt give you the real picture as some are premiums that some of us dont subscribe to anyway.Heres my take if you like sports Directv is the way to go,if you like more movies Dish,doesnt matter who has most auctual HD count..Just a numbers game !!

As a sports fan, i feel sad when i see directv have some more sports channels... then i look over at the best hd dvr in the business, feel a little better, remind myself that i haven't missed F1 in HD on Speed yet, and remain hopeful that once FSC-HD comes, Dish picks it up....

Then everything crashes down with the lack of NY RSN-HDs

but i'll live!

Out here in Central california FIOS isnt available ,yet.Would love to see that come out here and give it a try. If I understand right FIOS works thru your telephone line and not a Dish on your Roof,that would be so much better especially on the windy Coast where I live ,as I have to constantly realign my Dish.What is the price compared To other services.

Call ATT to find out if they plan to make Uverse available in your area. Uverse has limited bandwidth compared to all fiber Fios, but Uverse programming and DVR cost seem lower. The most important limitation is only two HD channels maybe watched/recorded at the same time. And if you happen to have two separate live HDs either on display or in recording, no other TVs can watch any other live shows, period.

Is FSN Oklahoma, FSN Indiana, FSN Tennessee, FSN Carolinas, FSN Utah, & FSN Wisconsin full-time RSNs, or are they alternate RSNs to the ones they used to be with before (FSN North, FSN South, etc.)? If they are full-time RSNs and have different programming from their predessors, then Dish should carry them.

As a sports fan, i feel sad when i see directv have some more sports channels... then i look over at the best hd dvr in the business, feel a little better, remind myself that i haven't missed F1 in HD on Speed yet, and remain hopeful that once FSC-HD comes, Dish picks it up....

Then everything crashes down with the lack of NY RSN-HDs

but i'll live!
F1 on Speed HD is not HD. It is PAL world feed. The Paris Nice race this past weekend on Versus HD was the same. Not HD, but 576p widescreen which looks a lot better than 480i 4x3.

A more revealing way to look at the Dish/Direc HD divide might be to look at HD content. BetJ HD, LMN HD, Cartoon HD, HMC HD and many others have no HD, as in zero, nada, zip. What is the purpose of counting HD channels with no HD programming?

Since so many people at Dish read these threads, people should stop obsessing over channel counts. The more channels they add, the more the PQ will be squeezed. At this point, what's more important? Quality or quantity?

Don't forget that many of the HD channels added in the last year are not 24/7 HD channels. I would like to see a count of 24/7 channels atributed to each provider as this would give me a more realistic picture.

I don't watch SD on Dish any more, the quality is horrible. If we watch any SD we use our HTPC and watch over the internet.

F1 on Speed HD is not HD. It is PAL world feed. The Paris Nice race this past weekend on Versus HD was the same. Not HD, but 576p widescreen which looks a lot better than 480i 4x3.

A more revealing way to look at the Dish/Direc HD divide might be to look at HD content. BetJ HD, LMN HD, Cartoon HD, HMC HD and many others have no HD, as in zero, nada, zip. What is the purpose of counting HD channels with no HD programming?

You're right about BETJ and close on Cartoon, but wrong on HMC and real wrong on LMN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts