will FiOS carry BBC America HD?

Don't hold your breath --NObody can see BBCA HD

BBC America Says HD Launches Will Be Announced Soon

High-Def Outlet Went Live Monday But Not on Cable, Satellite Systems Yet

by Kent Gibbons -- Multichannel News, July 21, 2009

No launches yet for BBC America's new high-definition channel but the network said distribution deals will be coming soon.
BBC America HD launched Monday (July 20) at 6 a.m. but can't be seen yet on any cable or satellite-TV service, the network said.
The channel scheduled a slew of popular sci-fi shows for the first week, including new Torchwood episodes Monday-Friday, that had many viewers talking about the channel on Twitter on Monday.
132568-_Top_Gear_Hosts_Richard_Hammond_James_May_and_Jeremy_Clarkson_.jpg
"We've got great reaction from viewers on our HD service," channel publicity VP Amy Mulcair said Tuesday. "Everyone's very keen to see it and we're very keen for them to see it. And we're glad to say there are a number of deals that will be announced imminently."
Citing complications involving the availability of HD shows such as Torchwood: Children of Earth, which only just aired on the BBC in the United Kingdom with big ratings, the network did not announce the HD launch date until June 1. As a result, it has taken a while for BBC America and distribution partner Discovery Communications to line up launches. The standard-definition version of the channel, featuring shows such as Top Gear (pictured), has about 64 million subscribers.

Post a comment Return to article View other article discussions
Submitted by: Dean Blanco
7/21/2009 5:00:37 PM EDT Location:
Launch an HD channel with prime programming for the launch and then not make it available to any carriers...What idiot is runng that show! It's just so stupid!!!

Well, since Torchwood was mentioned, here's the problem:

BBC America ONLY planned to broadcast Torchwood: Children of Earth uncut in a 75 minute block ONCE (it was always uncut on HD.Net) [not including cuts for content visa vi American prudish decency; I don't know specifically would have been included in that but HD.Net was not so restricted]. EVERY rerun that will EVER be shown of Torchwood: CoE will be a 60-minute cut-down version with 15 minutes of footage excised.

In other words, the week of the 20th was the ONLY broadcast the United States will EVER receive of Torchwood: Children of Earth uncut and in HD and guess what: no-one received it.

Meanwhile, HD.Net Canada still has the rights to Torchwood, so in Canada they get to see Torchwood: Children of Earth uncut and in HD every time it's broadcast (which is why I'm so desperate to get my ShawDirect dish aligned!)

Heck, for that matter, I can't find where BBC America HD is being uplinked on LyngSat; I assume it'll be AMC 11 or MAYBE AMC 10, but there's no C-band channel allocation for it on either satellite even as of today, which makes me think it's not DirecTV's, Dish's, Comcast's, Time Warner's, Cox's, Delphi's or FiOS fault that this channel won't available in time, though I grant that LyngSat could be out of date.

OTOH, since it's broadcast out of Bethesda, MD, one report I am inclined to believe is that actually Comcast in D.C. / Montgomery Co, MD DID get the feed since they might be getting the Discovery networks channels via wire rather than uplink.

BTW, my apologizes if I'm talking out of my a**, I'm not an expert in these matters, though I am sure about the only uncut, HD broadcast statement.

Time-Warner Cable beat FiOS to it!

from today's Multichannel News:

BBC America HD Launches in NYC on TWC

August 19, 2009
BBC America says it has signed a Time Warner Cable distribution pact, with New York City the first region adding the channel. It goes on the system today, on channel 685. More details to come but wanted to get the news out to hopefully calm the legions of fans disappointed when the channel went unseen during the July launch week which featured such sci-fi HD treats as Torchwood: Children of Earth and Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead. The launch is a late addition to the raft of upcoming Big Apple lineup changes we reported on last month. They take effect today.
The channel launch date announcement came only about seven weeks before the planned launch, so it’s been a logistical challenge for the folks at BBC America to line up launches. The short window was at least partly a factor of dealing with the U.K. schedulers on shows such as Torchwood. But New York City is a good place to start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)