Will HD audio lag problem ever be fixed?

costanza

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
I've had it since day one with my Vip211! (Current software L524)
I'm using component video and analog audio connections to my Panasonic plasma.

Not unless you either get a receiver that allows you to adjust the lag or the broadcasters adjust the lag on their end. Takes longer to encode HD video than audio (bigger files to encode).

Not unless you either get a receiver that allows you to adjust the lag or the broadcasters adjust the lag on their end. Takes longer to encode HD video than audio (bigger files to encode).

The problem is timing the Decode. And it can be solved if the proper code is in there for HDMI 1.3 connections(lip sync is part of the standard). At least assuming the original material was properly synced. No current support in the Dish receivers for that *. So your choice is making sure the SD/HD audio setting is correct.

* could not confirm if there were any changes in the 722k of upcoming 922.

Last edited:
The problem is timing the Decode. And it can be solved if the proper code is in there for HDMI 1.3 connections(lip sync is part of the standard).
The HDMI 1.3 standard, as written, allows for the lip-sync feature you describe. But can you point to any products that, as manufactured, support this lip-sync feature? I'm not aware of any that do.

Have you gone into the menus on the 211 and set the audio to match with the HD channels instead of the SD channels?

I can't find anything in the menus on my 211 to allow me to match with HD. Can you give me a hand in where it might be?

Will HD audio lag problem ever be fixed? I've had it since day one with my Vip211! (Current software L524) I'm using component video and analog audio connections to my Panasonic plasma.
I haven't encountered audio lag, but I've seen where the video sometimes lags the audio. Usually it's when things like deinterlacing and scaling delay the video so much that you can hear someone's voice before their lips begin to move.

1. Video might be delayed when the 211 converts digital video to analog component video and again when the TV converts back to digital video, so it might help to connect via HDMI.
  2. Video might be delayed when the TV deinterlaces the 211's video, so it might help to output video from the 211 as 720p rather than 1080i.
If your problem is actually audio lag, where you see something and then you hear it, I'd contact Dish, FWIW, but I don't know what might cause that problem.

The HDMI 1.3 standard, as written, allows for the lip-sync feature you describe. But can you point to any products that, as manufactured, support this lip-sync feature? I'm not aware of any that do.

Probably several receivers do by now. My Denon receiver was one of the first that did. And most of the Blu-ray players output it. Be nice to hear that one of the new Dish receivers will output it, but ...

Last edited:
Probably several receivers do by now. My Denon receiver was one of the first that did. And most of the Blu-ray players output it. Be nice to hear that one of the new Dish receivers will output it, but ...
So, when a Dish STB connected to your Denon receiver supports auto lip-sync, then the feature could have some value. Or, if your Denon is connected to a TV that supports it, the two can agree on how much audio delay is needed to match the TV's video delay.

It takes two to tango, and auto lip-sync via HDMI will need two devices to support the feature in order to deliver an actual benefit.

So, when a Dish STB connected to your Denon receiver supports auto lip-sync, then the feature could have some value. Or, if your Denon is connected to a TV that supports it, the two can agree on how much audio delay is needed to match the TV's video delay.

It takes two to tango, and auto lip-sync via HDMI will need two devices to support the feature in order to deliver an actual benefit.

Perhaps it why I am not usually seeing audio delay, but I don't know. My TV and Denon receiver support audio sync, but I don't think the Dish Receivers do. Of course some material is "broadcast" with incorrect audio sync.

For a little while now I am getting a lot of sync issues on my local HD. It used to happen from time to time on NBC, now it seems that they are all prone to it. Sometimes really bad, sometimes very subtly. I haven't noticed it on the non-Locals. I have a 622 with component. Is there some diagnostics I can check? What would I be looking for and who would I contact if I found something?

Thanks for any assistance :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)