Will Hopper 3 become primary install for customers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
And both of those options have the same DVR fee as the Hopper 3. When I said that there are two cheaper DVR options, I did not mean to imply that those were the only other DVR options available to new customers.
So what are the DVR fees for the Hoppers? and Joey fees also? I have 2-622 and a 612. Not sure i could or would live with just one.

Reactions: pattykay
The Hopper model provided is based on the prospective customers credit rating, at least when it comes to any "free equipment" deals. As some have indicated, all three generations of Hoppers are still being installed today.

Exactly!

Although I do see the Day When Dish and Directv will install a Hopper and Genie with every new install. They will just turn off the DVR functions unless the customer wants to pay for it.

Keep in mind with Dish they have warehouses of recycled old equipment they get back from customers who cancel service.

Generally customers with the better credit scores will get the better equipment for free. As those customers are more likely to pay their bill and keep the service.

For the other customers, they basically will pawn off whatever older equipment they have in the warehouse as they already paid for the equipment years ago and their only investment is the sales commission and cost of the installer.

I remember back in the day we used to use 2700’s for new installs, instead of the 311’s. Simple fact we only had $30 into each 2700 where as I would have $99 into each 311.

Add to the fact the dish was $50 I could do a complete 1 room install for $80 instead of $150. Or 2 room for $110 instead of $250

Why give old equipment to customers you ask? Very simple. The worst the worst customers got 2700’s. They didn’t pay the bill, as a dealer we had to go repo equipment within 180 or 230 days of install.

In the case of a 2700 we didn’t care. We would just yank the dish off the house if the customer moved or where unwilling to return the equipment.

I hated to do that, but when Dish holds the dealer responsible for the equipment they are installing, I have to do what is in the best financial interest for my company. You just can’t give the best equipment to sub prime customers.

But you also got to know that most people don’t know the difference in hardware. If could give a 622 to a new customer and they wouldn’t know the difference. Satellite guys members would always request a 722k or the latest hopper.

Reactions: HipKat
So what are the DVR fees for the Hoppers? and Joey fees also? I have 2-622 and a 612. Not sure i could or would live with just one.
Your total fees would depend on how many TV's you have. Since each 622 can support two TV's, that would mean you currently have between three and five TV's with independent viewing. To replace that with a Hopper system, you would need a Hopper 3 (same $15 per month DVR fee as the older Hoppers, so you might as well get the "3") plus two to four Joeys. (same $7 per month Joey fee regardless of which type of Joey you choose. The exception would be Super Joey at $10 per month, but that doesn't work with Hopper 3.)

So, $15 + ($7 x 2) = $29

If you need independent viewing at five TV's, then $15 + ($7 x 4) = $43

If you sign a two-year contract, Dish may be willing to give you discounts on the fees for two years. If they match the new customer offers, that would drop the Hopper 3 DVR fee to $10, and drop the Joey fees to $5 each. They would also give you a discount on your programming package for two years with the Renewal Offer.

It should also be noted that for rarely-used TV's, you could try adding a Fire Stick to each additional TV and use the Dish Anywhere app instead of a Joey at that TV, to eliminate the Joey fee. The Hopper 3 would only support one stream at a time on the Dish Anywhere app, however.

Reactions: Bruno
I once mused about Dish having only one device (the hopper 4 or whatever they might call it) that is completely firmware configurable. DVR or no DVR. Number of tuners, number of Joey's, Sling or not, etc. depending on the customer's contract. I pondered about how that might simplify things for Dish and be more cost effective from a production perspective. But there's most likely an issue of what to do with warehouses full of older receivers, except they're most likely obsolete or soon to be obsolete and require maintenance to be functional. Besides, they're probably already written off. As things are, they're most likely eventually going to produce a Hopper 3 replacement, why not take this approach?

Reactions: pattykay
I once mused about Dish having only one device (the hopper 4 or whatever they might call it) that is completely firmware configurable. DVR or no DVR. Number of tuners, number of Joey's, Sling or not, etc. depending on the customer's contract. I pondered about how that might simplify things for Dish and be more cost effective from a production perspective. But there's most likely an issue of what to do with warehouses full of older receivers, except they're most likely obsolete or soon to be obsolete and require maintenance to be functional. Besides, they're probably already written off. As things are, they're most likely eventually going to produce a Hopper 3 replacement, why not take this approach?
The device you describe sounds like the Bloomin' Onion to me. :D

That increased capital investment must be more than offset by the savings, and it will be many years before most of the equipment gets swapped out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts