Will I Loose My Dish, Because Of Grounding

craig559

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
I Live In Minnesota (chatfield). I Live In An Apartment. I Have Had A Dish 500 Here For 5 Years. I Want To Upgrade To Hd Programing. My Dish Is Not Grounded. If I Try To Upgrade Will I Loose My Dish Because It Is Not Grounded?? There Is A Extra 500 Right Next To Mine. Is It A Good Idea To Try And Get The Tech To Use It For My Hd Programing?? Hope I Am In The Right Spot To Ask This. Excuse The Caps

The ground wire is mainly to meet NEC, and maybe drain some static charges. It has nothing to do with retention.

Regards, Eric

I Live In Minnesota (chatfield). I Live In An Apartment. I Have Had A Dish 500 Here For 5 Years. I Want To Upgrade To Hd Programing. My Dish Is Not Grounded. If I Try To Upgrade Will I Loose My Dish Because It Is Not Grounded?? There Is A Extra 500 Right Next To Mine. Is It A Good Idea To Try And Get The Tech To Use It For My Hd Programing?? Hope I Am In The Right Spot To Ask This. Excuse The Caps

just tell them to run ground wire to fuse box inside your apartment. after that it is your call if you going to live it there

Why isn't it already grounded? OH thats right techs aren't paid to ground a system.:rolleyes: What a crock!, Com'on Techs! If you upgrade to HD the installers are supposed ground the new system anyway,Just make sure he does it and you'll be fine.

Why isn't it already grounded? OH thats right techs aren't paid to ground a system.:rolleyes: What a crock!, Com'on Techs! If you upgrade to HD the installers are supposed ground the new system anyway,Just make sure he does it and you'll be fine.

in apartments it's kind of hard when you can't run any cable on out side of the building or attach anything to building

On a second floor or above apartment I find it acceptable if the Dish is not grounded if circumstances prohibit it.

A not-as-nice but still better-than-nothing thing to do is attach it to the ground wire on an outlet or the j-box if it is metal/grounded.

Listen ,I'm Tired of listening to excuses on why your not able to do part of your job thats requiered by code. Just do it!
.Grounding your satellite dish and system

Dish techs and contractor techs must follow these rules.
They are non negotiable.

Hemi,

There are situations, where the landlord will not allow the installation of a satellite system to meet code. This happens when the customer is only allowed to have the dish on the exclusive use area such as a porch or a balcony. They will also have restrictions that there can not be anything attached to the building and no holes drilled. This will basically make it impossible to meet code.

It's not something that we like to deal with, but the landlords leave installers no option. We are left with having the customer sign an apartment ground waiver. Basically the owners of apartment buildings don't want dishes all over the property, but they can't tell people that they can't have a dish. So they try to make rules that won't allow the customer to have it.

Listen ,I'm Tired of listening to excuses on why your not able to do part of your job thats requiered by code. Just do it!
.Grounding your satellite dish and system

Dish techs and contractor techs must follow these rules.
They are non negotiable.

If I go to a new connect in an apartment building, and there's no way to ground it, I don't do it. A very large contractor in Minnesota got a HUGE fine(depends on who you talk to $600,000-$800,000) not too long ago, for not grounding. So everybody is paying a lot more attention to grounding MN.(except Premier Communications:D:D:D)

I agree with volkodav, if I go to an existing customer for an upgrade, and it's not grounded, and there's NO WAY to properly ground it because of the building rules, I'm still going to do it.

If the customer will pull the cover off their breaker box, and there's a visible ground wire I can attach to, I'll do that.

If the customer removes it after I leave, there's not much I can do.

just tell them to run ground wire to fuse box inside your apartment. after that it is your call if you going to live it there
Why not just ask the installer to set the couch on fire while he's at it.

The last thing and I stress this the last thing you want the installer to do is mess with the fuse box, installers arent electricians and are not insured or bonded to do any kind of electrical work other than low voltage wich is dbs ( satellite dish).

If I go to a new connect in an apartment building, and there's no way to ground it, I don't do it. A very large contractor in Minnesota got a HUGE fine(depends on who you talk to $600,000-$800,000) not too long ago, for not grounding. So everybody is paying a lot more attention to grounding MN.(except Premier Communications:D:D:D)

I agree with volkodav, if I go to an existing customer for an upgrade, and it's not grounded, and there's NO WAY to properly ground it because of the building rules, I'm still going to do it.

If the customer will pull the cover off their breaker box, and there's a visible ground wire I can attach to, I'll do that.

If the customer removes it after I leave, there's not much I can do.
Thats fine, But aleast your aware, Its wrong !, and not trying to make it sound like its ok to not ground a system. I live in an area that gets its share of storms in the spring and summer,and I've Fixed house with damage from not grounding Properly, Mostly OTA,systems. But its not a pretty sight. Lightning follow the cables right into the houses blows parts of the walls out,Its amazing some of the sh*t I've seen it do. Thats why I get pissed over not grounding Properly. But it sounds to me like you and a Dave Nye, Most likly atleast try to do it! Not take one look and say "well its free job so screw it". You guys, I want in my area, I could get you a ton of work!:up

Best thing any one can do is rip out the ground on every job they find. System will probably work better.. :)

Let the flaming begin..

I'm not sure about working better, but definately more profitable for the contractors:p

Think of all that time you save not making connections and loops. :up

Until Quaz catches up with you:eek:

Thats fine, But aleast your aware, Its wrong !, and not trying to make it sound like its ok to not ground a system. I live in an area that gets its share of storms in the spring and summer,and I've Fixed house with damage from not grounding Properly, Mostly OTA,systems. But its not a pretty sight. Lightning follow the cables right into the houses blows parts of the walls out,Its amazing some of the sh*t I've seen it do. Thats why I get pissed over not grounding Properly. But it sounds to me like you and a Dave Nye, Most likly atleast try to do it! Not take one look and say "well its free job so screw it". You guys, I want in my area, I could get you a ton of work!:up

OMG PLEASE . I have been to hundreds of lightening strikes that were grounded to code and the same thing happened you described. Get your panties out of a wad over the grounding thing already. I have walked away from too many jobs to count for inability to ground. But when it is an upgrade and there is now way to properly ground the job within the given parameters. We try to help the customer if at all possible. But when you stated "Why isn't it already grounded? OH thats right techs aren't paid to ground a system. What a crock!, Com'on Techs! If you upgrade to HD the installers are supposed ground the new system anyway,Just make sure he does it and you'll be fine. " You are out of line. If you weren't being an A$$ the I am sorry but it came across that way.

Best thing any one can do is rip out the ground on every job they find. System will probably work better.. :)

Let the flaming begin..

I've been with dish since 1996 and never have grounded my dishes. I think grounding dishes is way over rated. If it can't be done properly it shouldn't be done at all.

OMG PLEASE . I have been to hundreds of lightening strikes that were grounded to code and the same thing happened you described. Get your panties out of a wad over the grounding thing already. I have walked away from too many jobs to count for inability to ground. But when it is an upgrade and there is now way to properly ground the job within the given parameters. We try to help the customer if at all possible. But when you stated "Why isn't it already grounded? OH thats right techs aren't paid to ground a system. What a crock!, Com'on Techs! If you upgrade to HD the installers are supposed ground the new system anyway,Just make sure he does it and you'll be fine. " You are out of line. If you weren't being an A$$ the I am sorry but it came across that way.
No ,I am an ass, So what? And I'm no more out of line then a Tech giving his 50th excuse on why he can't do something else. :rolleyes:

No ,I am an ass, So what? And I'm no more out of line then a Tech giving his 50th excuse on why he can't do something else. :rolleyes:

Ok atleast you admit it. LOL I am TOO!!! However until you strap on the tool belt and climb the ladder you have NO and I repeat NO viable opinion on the matter. I dont think excuses are acceptable either. But have the balls to just walk away whether they are whining about precious TV or NOT.. As far as I am concerned if it can't be done to code I will NOT do it, period, end of discussion. No matter how much you beg bitch or promise not to tell. It is still a hack job if not done correctly. And those are the techs that give the rest of us a bad name. They allow themselves to be bullied by pushy ppl that can't do without TV. Sorry but it is NOT the end of the world.

Ok atleast you admit it. LOL I am TOO!!! However until you strap on the tool belt and climb the ladder you have NO and I repeat NO viable opinion on the matter. I dont think excuses are acceptable either. But have the balls to just walk away whether they are whining about precious TV or NOT.. As far as I am concerned if it can't be done to code I will NOT do it, period, end of discussion. No matter how much you beg bitch or promise not to tell. It is still a hack job if not done correctly. And those are the techs that give the rest of us a bad name. They allow themselves to be bullied by pushy ppl that can't do without TV. Sorry but it is NOT the end of the world.
Fair enough !:) I'm in construction,I'm tried of climbing ladders!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)