Will I lose CBS-HD-NY?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bhodgins

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
I have a 110/119/61.5 setup in Los Angeles. They gave me the CBS-HD channel from New York since I don't have the 129 satellite to get the L.A. high def channel. I can get LA high def over the air, but I like getting the New York channel because it is time shifted 3 hrs earlier. It's handy when I have recording conflicts on my 942 DVR. If I upgrade to the Dish 1000 and the 622 DVR, will I lose my NY CBS high-def channel? I think it's channel number 9463?

Yes, but you will probably lose it eventually anyway. The SHVIRA prohibits E* & D* from providing a digital DNS station from an earlier time zone (except AK and HI).

NightRyder

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to these forums.... Hate for my first post to be in disagreement...but.....

My understanding is that your getting/not getting a certain local feed is not based on time zone, but on who owns the local station. If your local station is owned by CBS, you can get any feed E is sending. If your local station is owned locally, you cannot get the feed E has. My research has brought me to the understanding that CBS owned stations are showing national commercials, so L.A. and N.Y will see the same commercials. This means there is no issue giving someone on the west coast the east coast feed. If you live in an area with a locally owned station, there a usually local commercials as well as national. If E were to give you their feed, you would be bypassing local advertising. This would be bad if the local advertisers knew that anyone with E could get the national feed and not see their commercials.

Anyway, that's what I've been able to come up with. If I'm wrong, please let me know. :)

Welcome to Satellite Guys Tugboat :welcome

E* currently is delivering CBS-HD via a contract that precedes SHVERA, but like D*, I expect E* will eventually bring that into line with SHEVRA, probably when they begin offering the other 3 networks in HD via DNS.

Here is an summary of the relevant SHVERA provision from the FCC:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-260936A1.pdf

16. SHVERA expands the copyright license to make express provision for distant digital signals. In general, if a satellite carrier offers local-into-local digital signals in a market, it is not allowed to offer distant digital signals to subscribers in that market, unless it was offering such distant digital signals prior to commencing local-into-local digital service. If a household is predicted to be unserved by the analog signals of a network station, it can qualify for the distant digital signal of the network with which the station is affiliated if it is offered by the subscriber’s satellite carrier. If the satellite carrier offers local into-local analog service, a subscriber must receive that service in order to qualify for distant digital signals. A household that qualifies for distant signal service can receive only signals from stations located in the same time zone or in a later time zone, not in an earlier time zone. SHVERA also provides for signal testing at a household to determine if it is “served” by a digital signal over-the-air. In some cases, if a household is shown to be unserved, it would be eligible for distant digital signals, provided the household subscribes to local-into-local analog service, if it is offered. However, this digital testing option is not available until April 30, 2006, in the top 100 television markets, and July 15, 2007, in all other television markets. Such digital tests also are subject to waivers that the Commission may issue for stations that meet specified statutory criteria.

NightRyder

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome!

Well that info sure makes my head hurt! :)

I guess the person I talked to at CBS was mistaken about things. They told me that if you live in an area serviced by CBS owned stations (w/national commercials), then it didn't matter what time zone that feed came from. If you lived in an area serviced by a CBS affiliate, you couldn't have any feed other than one for that area (w/national and local commercials). Oh well. I hope doesn't change. I sure like getting programming 3 hours earlier.

I just got my 622 the other day and have the install scheduled for Sat. Was told that sat 129 will have local HD channels, so unless they can give me all locals but CBS (keeping it the east coast feed), I'm gonna be hating life for a while.

Tugboat said:
Thanks for the welcome!

Well that info sure makes my head hurt! :)

I guess the person I talked to at CBS was mistaken about things. They told me that if you live in an area serviced by CBS owned stations (w/national commercials), then it didn't matter what time zone that feed came from. If you lived in an area serviced by a CBS affiliate, you couldn't have any feed other than one for that area (w/national and local commercials). Oh well. I hope doesn't change. I sure like getting programming 3 hours earlier.

I just got my 622 the other day and have the install scheduled for Sat. Was told that sat 129 will have local HD channels, so unless they can give me all locals but CBS (keeping it the east coast feed), I'm gonna be hating life for a while.

Thats the way they WERE doing it, until the SHVERA stuff was digested. Be ready to lose an east coast feed if you are not in east coast.

I talked with E* advanced HD tech yesterday checking to see if what I was told Monday when I activated my 622 was true... I was told the system would only recognize 4 Satellites so I had to give up one of my wing CBSHD's... I chose West to keep East to go. I was told yesterday that starting Feb 1st in conjunciton with the new package's the Shivera rules were starting to be enforced and I would have lost my East feed anyway... (take it with a grain of salt as it was from E* tech support... )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts