Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Hi,

I currenlty have all 4 HD nets and I get no OTA. I'll be moving down to Sacramento where I can (hopefully) get OTA. If I enter the new address on D* DN page it says I shoudl get grade A for all local stations and therefore I wouldn't qualify for the HD DN anymore. But, since I already have them I was wondering if I'll lose them the minute I tell them I moved (if I use their dish mover deal) or if they'll just keep it? I guess I'm being greedy, but it would be nice to be able to record my OTA and the HD DN in case I want to record 4 shows at the same time ? :D My other option would be to pay $200 to a private installer (which sounds like a lot to me!!!) and not let them know I moved... Has anybody gone through similar situation?

Thanks!

Fgsilva said:
therefore I wouldn't qualify for the HD DN anymore. But, since I already have them I was wondering if I'll lose them the minute I tell them I moved (if I use their dish mover deal)
You will lose them if they know you moved. Don't tell them. I would wait until you get there and make sure you can get all the nets OTA.

Better yet, install the dish yourself and save the $200.;)

I moved from Louisiana to Washington and got to keep some of mine, even after calling and getting the local Seattle sations. Here is what I got to keep:81,380,87,386-Lost 88,89, but get Fox OTA and I never got any NBC sations (waivers). Hopefully you get to keep yours.

hmm, not a bad idea. But I'm a dumass in terms of installation. :eek: Although I'd just grab my current dish and point it which shouldn't be that hard. my landlord also does NOT want a dish on the roof so I'll have to have it on the side. Ok, Ok, I admit i'm just plain lazy!!! :D

herdfan said:
You will lose them if they know you moved. Don't tell them. I would wait until you get there and make sure you can get all the nets OTA.

Better yet, install the dish yourself and save the $200.;)

Last edited:
You should NOT loose your DNS channels. If you have them and move you should be able to keep them, in effect you should be "grandfathered". You should only loose them if you make and chances to your programming.

hmmm, interesting point!! Thanks. But some people here already mentioned they did lose their HD Locals. Now, I'll be moving only 50 miles away. Currently, my locals are from Sacramento. ONce I move I will still be getting the same sacramento locals so not sure that would make any difference to them or not. OH yeah, besides, sacramento locals are supposed to be coming in April (although only for Mpg4)

SAT75 said:
You should NOT loose your DNS channels. If you have them and move you should be able to keep them, in effect you should be "grandfathered". You should only loose them if you make and chances to your programming.

I ended up calling them (retention number 800.824.9081) and I did the dish mover deal. I reminded them that I had the options of comcast or dish so I was wondering what would they have to offer me to continue with their service. So, I got free moving, their free OTA antenna (hope it works OK!), 3 free months of HBO and 6 free months of showtime! Not a bad deal. Of course got myself in another 12 month committment but I'm having faith that D* will be adding more HD nationals before the end of the year. The CSR also said I will not lose my HD DN. we'll see...

SAT75 said:

That's not the way the law is supposed to work. A grandfathered waiver applies only to one subscriber at the address that it was issued for.

I cannot say that he wont loose them, but he shouldnt just like the CSR told him. I dont deal with DNS' on a daily basis so I cannot be positive. I just fill out the forms for the DNS.

Tower Guy said:
That's not the way the law is supposed to work. A grandfathered waiver applies only to one subscriber at the address that it was issued for.

Tower Guy said:

I agree with Tower. The waivers are address/Account holder specific. I've seen accounts lose them by moving. I've seen where husbands/wives close out an account and reopen an account for a promo or something and lose the eligibility and never even leave the address. I'm not guaranteeing you'll keep them or lose them, but my personal interpretation of the DNS articles/entries in our information system is, by moving, you would have to resubmit waivers for DNS. Good luck. When you move, you'll have to tell us how it went.

I have moved and I can tell you that you lose them.

I had to reapply for my waivers and thankfully I was granted them all.

My moving installation is schedule for Wednesday the 8th, but currently my account already shows the new address as being my current address (it has been showing that for a couple of weeks already). So far I still have all HD DN channels! Now, when the installer finishes installing the dish and connecting the receivers next week, will he still be calling D* to reactivate the receivers or to just say he finished the job? Or will he be calling them at all??

Fgsilva said:
My moving installation is schedule for Wednesday the 8th, but currently my account already shows the new address as being my current address (it has been showing that for a couple of weeks already). So far I still have all HD DN channels! Now, when the installer finishes installing the dish and connecting the receivers next week, will he still be calling D* to reactivate the receivers or to just say he finished the job? Or will he be calling them at all??
If you're moving to a different market and the locals haven't changed yet, the installer will notify D* that your move order is complete and your channels will change at the time of the phone call.

The good news (for me :D ) is that it is still the same market...

arxaw said:
If you're moving to a different market and the locals haven't changed yet, the installer will notify D* that your move order is complete and your channels will change at the time of the phone call.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)