Will I lose HD DNS as soon as I move?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
well, if I enter my current address in that site it now says I don't qualify for the HD DNS anymore although I did in the past. But I still got to keep the channels. Well, I guess only time will tell now. I know that they have messed up with my programming and order so much over the past 3 weeks that I have the feeling they won't touch any of my programming! ;)

arxaw said:
If your new addresss doesn't qualify for DNS at this site, you'll likely lose them.

Fgsilva said:
well, if I enter my current address in that site it now says I don't qualify for the HD DNS anymore although I did in the past. But I still got to keep the channels. Well, I guess only time will tell now.
Yes, time will tell when the installer turns up the order.

Maybe D* has updated the HD-DNS qualification address database. My previous address no longer qualifies for all the HD DNS channels it originally did either.

When I replaced a receiver and called to activate it, I noticed the next day that WABC-HD was gone. I called D* back, but everyone I talked to said they couldn't reactivate it because I didn't qualify for ABC-HD any more, and the computer wouldn't let them add it to my programming.

I had to "move" to get ABC back....

If that's the case, I may just "move" to NY! :D no, wait, can I still "move" to like NY to get the MPEG2 locals or will they want me to upgrade to the H20???

herdfan said:
I am going to stick by my earlier post. When it all shakes out, I'll bet you won't have them.

Fgsilva said:
If that's the case, I may just "move" to NY! :D no, wait, can I still "move" to like NY to get the MPEG2 locals or will they want me to upgrade to the H20???

The rules to qualify for the big 4 networks in HD have changed.

There are lots of places besides NY where you can "move" to get the NY HD big 4 networks.

See this link for a clickable DMA map.

Find an address near a river in a town in county at the far edge of a large DMA.
Qualify the address for HD DNS here.

Last edited:
Thanks. Now, the second link is the same as the first but I presumed you meant to put the D* HD DNS link, right? So, is it normally just a matter of calling and telling the CSR that I now live at xxx, NY (or whatever) and they go ahead and change the address? I presumed also it would have to be a friends/relative address as they may be getting corresponde also! :eek: Now, considering that I am actually moving and having them install my dish, in case I go this route, it may be best to wait a bit also...
update: I also have dishnet and I applied and got waiver for all 4 net to get SD distant networks. I wonder if I lose my HD DN and I apply through D* if they'll also give me the waivers...

arxaw said:
The rules to qualify for the big 4 networks in HD have changed.

There are lots of places besides NY where you can "move" to get the NY HD big 4 networks.

See this link for a clickable DMA map.

Find an address near a river in a town in county at the far edge of a large DMA.
Qualify the address for HD DNS here.

Last edited:
DOH! Sorry 'bout that copy & paste didn't work right. Try the link in my original post now. Or click here

If you keep your mailing address different from the service address, no DirecTV mail will be sent to the service address. However, all service calls requests would be setup for the address you "moved" to. So you would need to wait a while after you move before you "move" again.

gotcha!
thanks. I'm actually just being greedy as I should be able to get all HD nets in my new address anyway. but, what the heck! :devil:
arxaw said:
DOH! Sorry 'bout that copy & paste didn't work right. Try the link in my original post now. Or click here

If you keep your mailing address different from the service address, no DirecTV mail will be sent to the service address. However, all service calls requests would be setup for the address you "moved" to. So you would need to wait a while after you move before you "move" again.

You lost the bet!! :D I still have all four HD DN! At least up to today, 2 days after the installation (and what a complicated installation this has been...). And that's a good thing I didn't lose them as I'm having a hard time with my OTA channels.

arxaw said:
I bet you lose them.

Fgsilva said:
You lost the bet!! :D I still have all four HD DN! At least up to today, 2 days after the installation
I would have lost the bet as well. Glad to hear it has worked out for you.:)

For now!:D

Congrats; you were lucky!

I had 'em somehow yank DNS when I activated a replacement box recently. And it was about as hard to get them back as your install was! I was very polite the whole LONG time I was on the phone with them and they eventually got them restored. For my trouble, they offered me 6 mos free showtime, without even asking, because they said I was their nicest customer of the day. :)

Yep, FOR NOW, I still have them. But what troubles me a bit is that I can still see my 3/8 order online! :eek: It says I can even reschedule it! D* messed up my orders and they doubled my installation and I had two guys show up. One went back and now I see that order cancelled. But the second one (for the one guy who actually stayed) seems to be still there! The installer didn't call D* while at my house, he only got the receivers numbers. Maybe they haven't finalize the order yet (or sent that info to D*) and once it's done I may still lose those channels... But by then I'll have a decent OTA anyway and that should be fine...

arxaw said:
Congrats; you were lucky!

I had 'em somehow yank DNS when I activated a replacement box recently. And it was about as hard to get them back as your install was! I was very polite the whole LONG time I was on the phone with them and they eventually got them restored. For my trouble, they offered me 6 mos free showtime, without even asking, because they said I was their nicest customer of the day. :)

Fgsilva said:
... The installer didn't call D* while at my house, he only got the receivers numbers. Maybe they haven't finalize the order yet (or sent that info to D*) and once it's done I may still lose those channels...
that's very possible.

let us know if they do yank the channels at some point.

I would pay someone locally to re-install sysytem @ new residence. When you do this , just change your billing address with dtv, do not change the physical address of the system w/ DTV. I hate to say anything on these forums for fear of being ridiculed, but I do know you could keep them by doing this. The physical address is the key, just change your billing to new residence.

I think it's official: I got to keep the HD DN! :D It's been a week since the install and now it shows "annual commitment" in my account due to the movers deal! Now, I"m not sure what will happen next month since Sacramento is scheduled to get the HD locals. I'm not going for the upgrade as I have the HD Tivo.

I just talked to my local Fox affiliate. The told me that the reason that they don't like giving waivers now is that they are permanant!!! In other words, even if you move, get the local HD or add services, you would still be able to keep your waivered distant networks. I can see their point in a way. Sort of.

scotsmanron said:
I just talked to my local Fox affiliate. The told me that the reason that they don't like giving waivers now is that they are permanant!!! In other words, even if you move, get the local HD or add services, you would still be able to keep your waivered distant networks. I can see their point in a way. Sort of.
I don't see it at all, and I don't agree in protected local TV markets.

It's like your local paper telling you you can't buy a USA Today or other out of town newspaper, and must only read the local paper and its ads.

I agree. If I live in a heavily populated area and have a good OTA antenna I might get dozens of locals. Now they might all have the same things, but if it is ad revenue that they are worried about, then the protection arguments don't hold water.

arxaw said:
I don't see it at all, and I don't agree in protected local TV markets.

It's like your local paper telling you you can't buy a USA Today or other out of town newspaper, and must only read the local paper and its ads.

You are missing the point. You can read an out of town newspaper at your leasure, but a company can not make a copy of an out of town paper and sell it to you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts